2019 CX-9 - list of design problems/complaints

:
CX-9 AWD GT Titanium/Sand
First of, I don't want it to sound like I'm here only to complain. We just bought a new GT AWD last week, and there are definitely a lot of things I love about this car, like handling, powertrain, navigation system, infotainment control (center knob under your hand). These are definitely things that raise it out of the crowd, and I'm sure some more features I haven't paid much attention to, yet.

But at the same time, there are some things that really stand out as inferior, very frustrating, or just simply poorly designed. These issues are compared against many other cars I've driven, and they're definitely inferior. I wish Mazda would step up on those, so perhaps creating this thread will help them get the right feedback from customers. Here's a list of things I've found very problematic:

1) Driver's seat adjustments - really frustrating limitations. I'm 5'8", which I tend to think is an average height in US. Yet I cannot adjust the seat and steering wheel to a comfortable position. Front of the seat does not go up tilting enough to support knees, so my legs can only rest supported on the floor. When I extend the seat for proper leg extension for accel and brake pedals, even though the telescoping steering wheel is all the way out, my arms are almost straight, and get tired very quickly. If I move the seat forward to get a proper arm extension on the steering wheel, then my legs seemed crammed up. Not only they're still not supported in elevation, but now they're uncomfortably bent in, which get really tiring after a short drive...

2) Lane assist steering correction. I've already covered this in another thread, but the lane assist doesn't really correct lane departure. Warnings work fine, but the car can get very dangerously close to edge of the lane before any steering auto-correction kicks in. And even then, I don't think it's sufficient to fully correct to center of the lane. This is really disappointing for a 45K car.

3) No TPMS display for pressure/temp in each tire - what ?!! Come on! It's 2019 already! You already have all the TPMS sensors in tires, why can't you add a readout for driver to know exactly each wheel status? We can now buy amazing solar displays with sensors from ebay for $40. Why isn't this included in the 45K car in 2019?!!
The only reason I see for that is, if people drive with underinflated tires, they wear them quicker, so Mazda can sell more tires this way... a really bad way make more money...

4) Center console storage compartment - this is the smallest I've seen among any competitors. Come on, for a huge console like this, I can't believe you can't manage a little more storage space. Perhaps deeper storage, or perhaps more storage on sides of console... I'm sure there's plenty of free space under that plastic. It should be utilized.

5) Lack of more advanced tech info display in instrument cluster panel. Some more features would be really useful, like graphical representation of AWD power to wheels, or turbocharger working condition. Cheaper and smaller cars have more features than the CX-9. Again, really disappointing...

6) Charging power adapter missing from typical spot location on center console under fan controls. Yes, there are USB adapters inside the storage console (do I really need to open it every time I want to connect disconnect cable just to charge, or do I need the cable dangling under my arm all the time?). And there's the charging port on the right side of the center console, leg height - really awkward position, and only good for passengers to charge something. Then you have to either get some kind of power cord holder or let passengers walk over the cable on the floor.

These are the biggest issues I've found so far, that I wish I had found out about before buying the car. It's very possible I would've gone a different direction then.

Last edited:
So I tend to agree with all of these except the power adapter issue. Get a magnet charger that is always plugged in and the cord wont ever be on the floor. Thats my solution.

My biggest gripe is the MMI system is pretty basic in terms of UI.

That said , if test drive the car all of this is readily apparent - did you not notice ?

But for the price Instill think its the best SUV for the money in its class.

It really sounds like you should have done some research before writing that $45k check. Did you not test drive the vehicle before purchasing it?

I can't comment on long term seat comfort as I don't own a current generation CX-9. I did check out a 2016 when they came out and thought the seats weren't too bad. The 2019 actually has more degrees of adjustment than the first year model did, so I'm surprised you are having issues.

Lane departure warning is exactly that, a warning. Mazda doesn't tout the car as self driving, which seems to be what you are longing for.

The car doesn't display tire air pressure because it doesn't have air pressure sensors in the tires - it uses the wheel speed sensors to determine if one of the wheels is underinflated in comparison to the others. By doing this, Mazda saved about $100 on the production cost of the car. I really don't think this design decision was part of a larger conspiracy to sell more tires.

The center console storage seems to be a Mazda trait - the previous generation CX-9 has a rather large center console with limited storage as well.

What do you feel you are missing by not having a display that shows AWD torque biasing or turbo boost? I've seen these screens in rental cars and they are neat for about 5 minutes then I forget they are there or turn them off. I'd like a set of real gauges that shows oil pressure and alternator voltage, which in my opinion actually provides more insight into the current state of the car.

It really sounds like you should have done some research before writing that $45k check. Did you not test drive the vehicle before purchasing it?

I can't comment on long term seat comfort as I don't own a current generation CX-9. I did check out a 2016 when they came out and thought the seats weren't too bad. The 2019 actually has more degrees of adjustment than the first year model did, so I'm surprised you are having issues.

Lane departure warning is exactly that, a warning. Mazda doesn't tout the car as self driving, which seems to be what you are longing for.

The car doesn't display tire air pressure because it doesn't have air pressure sensors in the tires - it uses the wheel speed sensors to determine if one of the wheels is underinflated in comparison to the others. By doing this, Mazda saved about $100 on the production cost of the car. I really don't think this design decision was part of a larger conspiracy to sell more tires.

The center console storage seems to be a Mazda trait - the previous generation CX-9 has a rather large center console with limited storage as well.

What do you feel you are missing by not having a display that shows AWD torque biasing or turbo boost? I've seen these screens in rental cars and they are neat for about 5 minutes then I forget they are there or turn them off. I'd like a set of real gauges that shows oil pressure and alternator voltage, which in my opinion actually provides more insight into the current state of the car.

2018/2019 TPMS is different from 2016/2017 TPMS. Or am I wrong?

thank you, and just to respond to some of these:

:) Yes, I did test drive the car, and I liked the way it drove, but I did more research online than live. The things I listed above, either I didn't spend enough time to notice them (like the seat adjustment), ommitted checking some of them because I was more focused on other things in the car, or like in case of the limited storage, I knew about it but in all the things I've compared, some other benefits outbalanced the storage limitation.

Not having tire sensors - this is news to me. From what've read, TPMS sensors in tires communicate on 315MHz and as the TPMS name suggests, they are pressure sensors. But even if they're not, again, nowadays you can buy an entire TPMS system (sensors included) for less than $50 retail, so I'm not sure why it would cost Mazda $100 of production cost.

As for the lane departure, if you read THIS, you'd think the car should correct itself, but in reality it doesn't. I was driving a '17 CRV before and with the lane assist on, you could let go of the wheel and the car would drive itself just fine, with only minor lane sways (as long as line reading was not interrupted).

Where do you see these $50 TPMS kits? Are they those ones that replace the valve stem caps?

The 2019s still have TPMS. It's the button that resets the TPMS that is no longer in the '19s as the reset is done simply by driving the car.

I agree about the seat adjustments, particularly I hope that the thigh support can be raised a little bit more. But I did not find it uncomfortable even on a 6 hour drive.

Things I hoped the car had is the Auto Hold function that is available in the CX-3 and others, and that the side mirror position is saved with the memory seats. Oh, and auto dim side mirrors.

Sure there are some shortcomings for anyone but the things that you cited would not be deal breakers for me. I'm 5'8" and have no issue finding multiple comfortable seating positions. I have a 2018 GT and apparently they added more range of motion with the front seats. No issue for me. On the firm side but comfortable on long trips.

Yes they could have kept the old tire sensor system but apparently it was to easy to defeat by just re-setting it so they went to this simpler (cheaper) system. I check tire pressures pretty often so not a problem. It will let you know quickly if you have a blow out and that's the main thing. In a sports car yes it's more imperative to have real time pressure read outs. Not really here.

Turbo boost gauge won't mean much but I do agree that Mazda seemingly did not take advantage of making the new center screen more configurable with more info. It made my decision to go with a less expensive 2018 easier. I'm glad they have a engine temp gauge now.

Lane keep is a non-issue for me. The warning is fine. If I'm driving that casually I'm doing it wrong. Would not want anything more intrusive.

Center console is on the small side but fits the rest of the interior and puts your right hand at the jog dial. I like the height of it and it's finished nicely. I'm not sure that having the main USB ports on the lower dash is better. They were that way in the CX-5 we had and it seemed more in the way. The 12v plug in on the passenger side is just odd. I guess that is where I will plug in the radar detector that get's occasional use.

It's not perfect and there is a sacrifice in interior space but the rest of it is very good with few trade offs. In addition to the other comparable in this class I looked at both the Lexus RX 350L and the MDX with comparable equipment and to me the CX-9 was the winner. By a long shot in some cases.

Where do you see these $50 TPMS kits? Are they those ones that replace the valve stem caps?
Yes. Stem caps or sensors inside, not much difference in technology, and it gives you each wheel readout of pressure and temp. Got it in my other car and it works flawlessly. $40 on ebay.

The 2019s still have TPMS. It's the button that resets the TPMS that is no longer in the '19s as the reset is done simply by driving the car.
That's not my point.

I agree about the seat adjustments, particularly I hope that the thigh support can be raised a little bit more. But I did not find it uncomfortable even on a 6 hour drive.
Coming from Dodge Grand Caravan excellent seat versatility, I must be spoiled then :) Though I did drive a lot of other various cars and never found this issue with limited seat adjustment as bad as in Mazda (though it is the first Mazda for me).

Things I hoped the car had is the Auto Hold function that is available in the CX-3 and others, and that the side mirror position is saved with the memory seats. Oh, and auto dim side mirrors.
That would be nice! One can only dream... :/

@ Montanaman
Again, I don't deny there are definite advantages and great things in this car. I'm especially happy about the choice of navi with the 3D (besides the obvious powertrain). I hate that stupid Garmin manufacturers have been putting in their cars for years. It was garbage to begin with and never got any better. I'm very happy Mazda adopted German cars infotainment controls (center knob on console). I'm also very happy there's a way to disable rain-sense wipers. I haven't used them in this car yet, but the '17 CRV we had, it was again, total garbage, extremely unreliable. No matter how you played with sensitivity, it would act without ryme or reason on its own. Sometimes it'd start wiping like crazy when the windshield was dry, yet at other times you could not see through rain and the wipers would barely move...

Getting off topic, sorry. My point is, there are definitely great features I like about this car. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise (and no, I did not pay 45K, I was just generalizing that Signature with the same problems I listed is a 45K car).

And obviously some of the downfalls I listed will not be issues to some other people. It all depends on your personal experiences and what you're used to expect. In my experience, I would've expected Mazda to do a little better in those areas, at least some of the more important ones like seat adjustment, lane assist, or per wheels TPMS display.

Lane Keeping (so called ASSIST) is useless, and pretty much outdated anyway.

Mazda is still trying to do with an LKA system that (in theory) waits until you are about to cross out of your lane, then (SOMETIMES) lamely tries to gently push you back to the center. (Mine works kind of OK to the left, but mostly fails to the right). One of its main problems is it does not apply enough toque - it cannot overcome slightly pitched road surfaces or sidewinds.

Many other vehicles offer SETTINGS in their menus so that the owner can have it strongly make the corrections if desired, or weaker for those who don't want it.

But it doesn't matter anymore because most other manufacturers are moving to "LANE CENTERING" where the vehicle is kept in the center of the lane completely and never needs to be corrected. I find that unless a person has actually driven a vehicle so equipped, they don't really "get it". Since the base lowest cost Toyotas now have this, Mazda has no choice but to offer it or start really losing customers as the general public slowly learns how great this newer technology is.

Well, I don't have the 9, but my 6GT is probably equiped the same, with a few minor differences, so I'll chime in anyway.

1. I'm 6'3", but I'm long in the torso compared to my legs, so I've always had problems finding a truly comfortable car that meets all my requirements re: seat psotion and steering wheel position.
The Mazda comes close, but I find the steering wheel doesn't extend forward (towards me) enough, or goes low enough. I like a steering wheel to be in my lap, and the Mazda can't do that.
My arms get tired on a long drive. The seat adjustments are just OK, but I find myself moving it around as I drive. It could be better I agree.

2.Lane assist is more of a gimmick than anything else. I keep it turned off. I use the steering wheel to keep my car in between the lines. Enough said on that.

3.TPMS is a non issue for me. I don't know how it works, nor do I care. It has never gone off. I alternate between summer and winter tires, and always check pressures.

4. Centre console storage space. I have to agree with you there. That's one thing I'm disappointed in. There's nowhere to even put my key ring with the fob on it. No cell phone cradle area, etc.
It's a nice interior, but the lack of storage spots is an oversight for sure.

5. The whole tech thing is hard to comment on. I came from a car that had no tech, no infotainment system, no system monitoring stuff, nothing, so the tech in this car is all new to me.
I like what it has, but I guess for some people it's not enough. I have nothing to compare it to.

6. Agree on the charging location(s). Awkward spot, and not user friendly. A small issue for me, but it could be better thought out.

Happy motoring folks.

thanks everyone.

Hockeye, excellent feedback. lane centering is exactly what I miss coming from '17 crv. Gimmick or not, I found it useful on many occasions.
I never had a chance to test this in Mazda before I bought it, but buying a newer and more expensive car I wrongly assumed this feature is the same. Turns out it's much worse than I expected..
Having said that, my '12 grand caravan doesnt have any LAS and it never bothered me. So it's not the lack of tech by itself that bothers me, it's that many competitors offer a much superior LAS tech for much cheaper cars. And after buying a car I thought to be top of the line in its class, LAS is nowhere near what the competitors offer.

First of, I don't want it to sound like I'm here only to complain. We just bought a new GT AWD last week, and there are definitely a lot of things I love about this car, like handling, powertrain, navigation system, infotainment control (center knob under your hand). These are definitely things that raise it out of the crowd, and I'm sure some more features I haven't paid much attention to, yet.

But at the same time, there are some things that really stand out as inferior, very frustrating, or just simply poorly designed. These issues are compared against many other cars I've driven, and they're definitely inferior. I wish Mazda would step up on those, so perhaps creating this thread will help them get the right feedback from customers. Here's a list of things I've found very problematic:

1) Driver's seat adjustments - really frustrating limitations. I'm 5'8", which I tend to think is an average height in US. Yet I cannot adjust the seat and steering wheel to a comfortable position. Front of the seat does not go up tilting enough to support knees, so my legs can only rest supported on the floor. When I extend the seat for proper leg extension for accel and brake pedals, even though the telescoping steering wheel is all the way out, my arms are almost straight, and get tired very quickly. If I move the seat forward to get a proper arm extension on the steering wheel, then my legs seemed crammed up. Not only they're still not supported in elevation, but now they're uncomfortably bent in, which get really tiring after a short drive...

2) Lane assist steering correction. I've already covered this in another thread, but the lane assist doesn't really correct lane departure. Warnings work fine, but the car can get very dangerously close to edge of the lane before any steering auto-correction kicks in. And even then, I don't think it's sufficient to fully correct to center of the lane. This is really disappointing for a 45K car.

3) No TPMS display for pressure/temp in each tire - what ?!! Come on! It's 2019 already! You already have all the TPMS sensors in tires, why can't you add a readout for driver to know exactly each wheel status? We can now buy amazing solar displays with sensors from ebay for $40. Why isn't this included in the 45K car in 2019?!!
The only reason I see for that is, if people drive with underinflated tires, they wear them quicker, so Mazda can sell more tires this way... a really bad way make more money...

4) Center console storage compartment - this is the smallest I've seen among any competitors. Come on, for a huge console like this, I can't believe you can't manage a little more storage space. Perhaps deeper storage, or perhaps more storage on sides of console... I'm sure there's plenty of free space under that plastic. It should be utilized.

5) Lack of more advanced tech info display in instrument cluster panel. Some more features would be really useful, like graphical representation of AWD power to wheels, or turbocharger working condition. Cheaper and smaller cars have more features than the CX-9. Again, really disappointing...

6) Charging power adapter missing from typical spot location on center console under fan controls. Yes, there are USB adapters inside the storage console (do I really need to open it every time I want to connect disconnect cable just to charge, or do I need the cable dangling under my arm all the time?). And there's the charging port on the right side of the center console, leg height - really awkward position, and only good for passengers to charge something. Then you have to either get some kind of power cord holder or let passengers walk over the cable on the floor.

These are the biggest issues I've found so far, that I wish I had found out about before buying the car. It's very possible I would've gone a different direction then.

1. That is a personal preference. Not much can be said, you might have to buy a cushion to get yourself comfortable. I personally wish the seats were a little bit longer but can live with them. I found the seats in the CX-5 Signature to be nicer.
2. Glad it does not have it. Do not think it is an essential feature at all.
3. Could do that. I check my tires manually but I guess it would be nice to have a system that did it for you.
4. Yup. The center console is tiny and of poor design. The MDX has the greatest center console ever. The CX-9's is terrible.
5. Most things are useless features and gimmicks. Mazda is about clean design.
6. Agree 100%. Would love to have the USB chargers below the fan controls in the front and in the center console for the rear passengers. The lighter switch thing is an absolutely stupid place as well.

Honestly, all of those things should have easily been noticed before you bought the car and are more opinions rather than real problems.

Will chime in here although I've only had my 2019 GT (FWD) for exactly a day. I spent over a year researching vehicles and test drove all contenders before deciding. There's no 100% perfect car in my opinion, also I live in a rural area in Texas which limited my options in brands (not wanting to drive >100 miles for service). I agree with some of the comments here from my limited experience.

-The front cockpit storage is abysmal, the 2013 Toyota Venza I just traded had tons of room in the center console (you could hide a body in it) and glove box was twice the size.

-I still occasionally listen to books on CD so the lack of a CD player was a compromise for me.

-The Mazda website and detailed list of CX-9 features says it has TPMS (does not specify any details) but I agree that it really should give you pressure/tire readings- my wife's bottom trim line 2011 Chevy Silverado does that.

-I'm about 5'9" and although the seats seem OK to me I don't disagree that the bottom cushion could be longer to offer more thigh support and tilt.

-I think the Nav system user interface is pretty clunky but may just be a familiarity issue- unlike another poster on this thread I prefer Garmin GPS units and have used them for driving and general aviation with no complaints.

-Finally, it really surprises me that Mazda used real aluminum trim for the doors and dash but the door sills are just some low end plastic. Not sure I want to spend $549 for the OEM illuminated sills for something no one will see hardly ever but not sure how much it will bug me over time. All the aftermarket stuff on e-Bay or elsewhere doesn't look very durable.

Still, a great car that drives exceptionally well.

I'm just over a week in on owning a '19 GT AWD and took it on its first road trip this weekend, about 500 miles r/t. The car is a joy to drive overall, but I did find myself continuing to adjust the seat and saving to memory to figure out what would work. I'm 6'1" with long arms and long legs, so the seat is all the way back along with steering wheel pulled all the way out-- I too found my arms getting tired.

Agreed on storage and LAS, and while I was unimpressed with the auto-wipers at first, it's rained everyday since I brought the car home so I've been able to test them out and think they are not terrible.

But one big shocker, and it's something I have taken for granted in Japanese cars since growing up in the 70s/80s and noticing how Japanese car wipers would flip 90 out from the window and would lock there. Now most all cars do that... EXCEPT for the CX-9's rear wiper. Tried to wash the muck off where the rear wiper blade rests on the glass while filling up with gas and couldn't pull it more than an inch away from the glass-- not enough to get the sponge/squeegee in there. Is this for real?

I'm 6'1" as well and I find the seats and wheel adjustment the best I've had in a vehicle. I don't have the seat nearly all the way back. The wheel sits half way up my thighs where my forearms are resting and I hold the wheel at the bottom. Drove from MA to FL with no fatigue.

My wife is 5' and she says she's perfectly comfortable too.

...apparently ApplePlay, magic folding mirrors, 360 degree surround vision, and unlimited air circulating below one's arse is still not enough to make 2019 people happy? Count me among those who have almost nothing to complain about after 7,000 miles on my 2018 Sig.

Lol, this is kind of funny. How does one test drive a 45k vehicle and proceed to purchase, knowing they couldn't get the seat configured the way they want, and after having tested the lane keep assist features? You'd think that something so important to you would stick out like a sore thumb during the test drive.. but then you wrote this:

I never had a chance to test this in Mazda before I bought it, but buying a newer and more expensive car I wrongly assumed this feature is the same.

Wrongly assumed is right. Going from one car brand to another, it probably would have been a good idea to test everything you could. Like I mentioned in your other thread, it sounds like what you're expecting is something that does the driving for you.

It seems you have a lot to complain about regarding Mazda's lane assist systems, but the fact is that you didn't do your due diligence while researching and test driving the car. I agree with you that it is less intrusive than other systems, but (in my opinion) that makes it better, because I personally don't want something that steers for me. I just think it's nice that I get a warning, that's enough for me to pay more attention and be a safer driver. Also, that link that you posted has some pretty important info that you should probably keep in mind:

- The system maybe affected by a variety of factors including weather conditions (rain, snow, fog, etc.), and road conditions (tight curves, undulations, unclear lines on the road surface, etc.)
- LAS is designed to alleviate the burden of driving and reduce damage resulting from accidents and is predicated on the driver operating the vehicle in a safe manner. It is important to be aware of the limitations of the system and to drive safely at all times.
- The system is set to avoid unnecessary alarms if the system detects the vehicle behavior is intentional judging from the operation of the accelerator or turn signal.

Do not rely on any lane keep assist system, regardless of brand/manufacturer.

Aside from that, I'm about the same height as you and I can find multiple comfortable seating positions. That said, we're all built a little differently and we have different preferences. You've only had your CX-9 for a week, so it may take some more time in the seat to find the right adjustments, but you may have to come to terms with the fact that your body proportions just might not work with the seat (at which point you might have to look into an aftermarket seat bolster or something). Keep playing with it, and make slight adjustments as you go.

I do agree with you 100% on the center console storage, it's way too small. That said, I think it's just because I'm used to having larger storage because I needed it (mostly for CDs). Since the CX-9 doesn't have a CD player, I don't really need the larger storage space, but it would still be nice to have. Boost gauge would have been nice as well. The location of the 12v socket is odd to me as well, but works just fine. I use it to charge my phone. When the charging cable isn't in use, it just hangs over the center console between the cupholders and the shifter panel so that the end that plugs into my phone hangs by my thigh.

Last edited:
I compared the CX-9 to other SUVs that cost much more and chose it over them. Yes, it has some compromises - it has to in order to remain at the price point it's at - but for me the compromises were acceptable. I'm all in favor of improving the vehicle wherever possible including those areas you point out but not if that means increasing the cost to any substantial degree. For me the overall value equation was just about right.

None of the things in the original post bug me much. Ours gets driven by 5'5" driver and a 6' driver. No complaints as far as seats.

I know I'm the one who defends the lack of upper rpm grunt due to mpg reasons. And 300 foot pound reasons. But yeah if I have to pick something to whine about, maybe upper rpm grunt would be the one. Or maybe a little less closed in feeling for the front row seating. That does bug me a little bit.

People out there realize you can get these things in base trim for 30k right? I dunno about everybody else, but IMO the base makes an even more compelling case against the competition in that price bracket than the loaded out one does in its. Not that the loaded one doesn't do a great job competing also. Because it does.

Last edited:
Back