trade in my 2016 CX-5 for a 2019 CX-5 ?

:
Miata and CX-5
In May of 2015 I bought a model year 2016 CX-5 GT (red exterior, black leather interior) and the car now has 46,000 miles).
I have enjoyed the car very much and am now considering selling the 2016 and buying a new 2019 CX-5.
From a driving performance perspective is the 2019 about the same as the 2016 ?
Also, is the seat design different ? I've found the 2016 driver's seat to be comfortable and durable.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

This should be a purely personal decision. Maybe ask you spouse/significant other their opinion. Asking strangers how to spend your money, is just odd. Go test drive a 2019 with your family and decide if it's a good decision.

If your budget is unlimited, the CX-5 should not be on your radar. :)

This should be a purely personal decision. Maybe ask you spouse/significant other their opinion. Asking strangers how to spend your money, is just odd. Go test drive a 2019 with your family and decide if it's a good decision.

In my post I asked two specific questions.
1) Is the 2019 driving performance about the same as the 2016?
2) Is the seat design different (from 2016 to 2019)?

Your reply (for some inexplicable reason) addressed neither of my questions but instead was a commentary about "spending money".

Last edited:
Going from my 2015 touring 2.5 awd to my 2019 GT-R was similar from going from my 1988 mustang gt to my 2001 Trans Am ws.6.

Much faster.
Much better handling.
Much nicer interior.
Better fuel economy.
Way more features.

If money isnt the concern, its an absolute no contest decision.

One of my friends is considering the Forester and Cx5, among others. He paid $500k in taxes last year.

Going from my 2015 touring 2.5 awd to my 2019 GT-R was similar from going from my 1988 mustang gt to my 2001 Trans Am ws.6.

Much faster.
Much better handling.
Much nicer interior.
Better fuel economy.
Way more features.

If money isnt the concern, its an absolute no contest decision.

I am considering the standard 2019 GT (not the R or Limited) model.
So, 2016 GT vs 2019 GT.

i second that. If you are not going for the 2.5Turbo I see no point in changing to 2019 non turbo from 2016 cx5.

In May of 2015 I bought a model year 2016 CX-5 GT (red exterior, black leather interior) and the car now has 46,000 miles).
I have enjoyed the car very much and am now considering selling the 2016 and buying a new 2019 CX-5.
Also, is the seat design different ? I've found the 2016 driver's seat to be comfortable and durable.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Q: From a driving performance perspective is the 2019 about the same as the 2016 ?
A: I think it is better. The suspension is better and handling bumps and the 2019 has G-vectoring which is a big upgrade. The 2.5T is a major change but I also think the 2017+ CX-5 is more responsive than the older versions.

Q: is the seat design different?
A: I don't think the seats are any different in design.

Honestly, after driving a while in the 2017+, I find the older models to feel loud and un-refined. I have a 2014 and I am not sure how different the 2016 is, but the 2017+ models are much nicer than my 2014.

Last edited:
I am considering the standard 2019 GT (not the R or Limited) model.
So, 2016 GT vs 2019 GT.
Id just keep the 2016 and enjoy more money.
Agreed. Gen-2 may be more refined on suspension, also helped with G-Vectoring, but its changes are mainly towards smoother ride. Newly added liquid bushings on front suspension have already had TSB to correct noise issues. And new liquid engine and transmission mounts would freeze up in cold weather too.

I also saw more complaints here such as seating surface is too short and the center console is too wide on gen-2 CX-5 than 2016 CX-5. Of course everybody is built differently. You have to try the seat by yourself.

To me, newly added cylinder deactivation on naturally aspirated 2.5L would stop me to consider a 2019 CX-5 GT.

Keep driving the 2016 and enjoy the feel of more money in your pocket. I don't think the subtle changes you asked about will be anywhere near worth the trade to a 2019...

Good luck with whatever you decide...

In my post I asked two specific questions.
1) Is the 2019 driving performance about the same as the 2016?
2) Is the seat design different (from 2016 to 2019)?

Your reply (for some inexplicable reason) addressed neither of my questions but instead was a commentary about "spending money".

Seriously, is something keeping you from going to a dealer and testing one YOURSELF? Only YOU can decide if the seat is comfortable, or not. Every forum I've been on there are people praising how comfortable their driver's seat is. At the same time, someone else is complaining how uncomfortable it is. The same goes for performance, unless you want to move up to the turbo, then it's a "no brainer".

I'll never understand why people ask these "should I trade" type questions on the internet. It's a personal decision.

Agree with everyone else. I have a 16 and the ONLY reason I would consider an upgrade is for the GT-R (Turbo).

It depends on if you are looking at the GT (non-turbo) or GT-R and Sig (turbo). Turbo would of course be different, however the non-turbos are slower than the 2016 as the newer CX-5's are heavier. The tradeoff with that heavier weight though is a much quieter cabin. Ride might be a little smoother on the newer ones as the ride is softened up just a bit from the raw feeling of the Gen 1. While not for me, many seem happy with that, along with the nicer interior of the Gen 2's.

I believe it is different, yes. Best bet is to just go test drive one.

Agree with everyone else. I have a 16 and the ONLY reason I would consider an upgrade is for the GT-R (Turbo).

Yeah this. Unless you are simply upgrading for features, nice interior, etc, the actual performance of the non-turbo Gen 2 is worse than the Gen 1. No way in hell I'd upgrade mine for a non-turbo.

Yeah this. Unless you are simply upgrading for features, nice interior, etc, the actual performance of the non-turbo Gen 2 is worse than the Gen 1. No way in hell I'd upgrade mine for a non-turbo.

That, and the Turbo model is a very slight price bump over the GT. I think buying the GT is just dumb. $1200 more and you get a turbo and a much more buttoned down suspension? Absolutely no sense buying non-GT-R/Signature. Mainly, I'm stoked to finally be getting over the EPA rating in my vehicle. Something my Gen 1 couldn't lay claim to on my daily commute.

Last edited:

Only if you consider the 0-60 times. Otherwise, it is pretty much a wash. Have you spent any time in the 2017+ models?

I went from 2014 GT to 2018 GT, love it but:
Seats are WAY better on the 2018...
2018 is 2 inches wider inside.
Stereo is WAY better in 2018.
2018 is WAY quieter.

But:
2018 is WAY slower...like WAY
2018 tranny shifts WAY more lazy.
The 2014 tranny ALWAYS shifted where I would have on a manual.
2018 blind spot monitor is way to easily set off...like way way to easily.
2018 paint seems to scratch just looking at it.

So? GET the TURBO model in AWD!

Only if you consider the 0-60 times. Otherwise, it is pretty much a wash. Have you spent any time in the 2017+ models?
I have. And yes, it's quieter. And the screen...sits above the dash. Eww. And it's got ..too much chrome. And it doesn't have ...my DRLs or tailights. And... And
.. and...
"Otherwise it's pretty much a wash ...."
Exactly how I feel about upgrading to a 17+ that isn't a turbo. It's a wash...why bother. [emoji16]

Back