Popping noise when turning steering wheel while stationary

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
When I am parked I hear a popping noise when I turn the steering wheel left or right. This just started happening today. I have new strut assemblies, the control arms that mazda replaced and about 2 year old tie rod ends. What can be causing this popping sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. It is a 2007 CX-9 AWD.

Since you just had new parts installed, I'd double check to make sure that all bolts have been tightened to spec. Loose bolts can make those noises when the chassis twists or flexes slightly.

Does it happen on all surfaces (i.e. pavement, concrete, grass/dirt)? Could it be the tires just sticking to the surface?

I am thinking control arms also. The so called revised ones that mazda installed under the recall look the same. The only difference is that they have like spring clips that clip on to the ball joint. Do you think that worn wheel bearings could also cause this noise. This only happens when the car is still and not when i am driving. It doesn't make that noise when i am driving .

Worn out wheel bearings will be a different kind of noise, and will only be heard when moving.

I have the same problem after upgrading to 22 wheels... mazda dealer cant seem to figure out whats wrong and as usual they are blaming the upgrade...

I have the same problem after upgrading to 22* wheels... mazda dealer can*t seem to figure out whats wrong and as usual they are blaming the upgrade...

What are the wheel and tire specs on your 22" setup (ET, width, tire profile)? Did you add any other components like wheel spacers or hub adapters?

There is a thrust bearing at the top of the strut. It allows the suspension to turn while supporting the weight on that corner of the car. This may have failed.

A mechanic's stethoscope is a cheap, worthwhile addition to a tool kit. You can put the stethoscope probe on different parts while someone turns the wheel. The sound of the popping will be amplified and much easier to locate.

31U9Oa6ww%2BL.jpg

I just wanted to update. I had someone turn the steering wheel while the car was on the ground and it was the tie rod end. It look like it was trying to push up while turning the steering wheel and that is when the popping and clunking would happen. I warrantied it out to rock auto and just paid 6 dollars for shipping the clunking is gone now I have to get it aligned.

Back