Lane Keep Assist question

:
CX-9 AWD GT Titanium/Sand
Hello,
I hope this is not a redundant topic, but I can't find answers to this anywere on the forum.
We just took delivery of '19 CX-9 GT last weekend. I was driving yesterday testing different features and I'm taken aback by how the lane keep assist works.. or maybe doesn't..

We had a '17 CRV before, and the lane assist there is very active, it corrects steering automatically as soon as you start getting to the edge of the lane, but still some distance away.
However, in the CX-9, I can get to the edge of the lane and it seems like I'm already driving on that edge before any kind of steering assist kicks in. And it doesn't really correct the steering to move back away from the lane edge, it just makes it harder to go over the lane (unless you turn the blinker on, of course). Heptic feedback works fine - vibration, or beeps, whatever I set it to seems to give you correct notifications, so that's not a problem, but the wheel correction is not as active as I'd expect it to be. As a comparison (not that I'd recommend anyone doing this), in the CRV you could let go of the wheel, and as long as there was no interruption in lane reading, the car would steer itself just fine and the driver behind you would not notice much difference between manual steering. I don't see that happening in CX-9. Seems like it starts getting over the line before it acts up with any steering corrections...
Is this normal? I have all the related settings on high, so the sensitivity is as high as it can be set.

Thanks

Same experience with our 18 CX9. The lane keep assist is very minimal. The vibration can be felt, but it doesnt do much to keep it in the lane. It provides very minor correction, often not enough to actually keep it in the lane.

aaaah... thank you! so I'm not imagining things then... this is so disappointing...
Does anyone have a better experience with the lane correction system? Perhaps this is differently calibrated in Mazdas. Maybe some work more precise than others?

Yes, it's normal. The lane departure warning system (haptic feedback and visual cues) doesn't trigger until you start to cross the lane. The lane keep assist system only provides minimal correction when steering the car back into the lane.

You guys have to keep in mind that this isn't some semi-autonomous tech that's meant to keep the vehicle in the lane at all times, it's simply a driver's aid to warn you to take action. Can't think of any good reason for why Mazda's system isn't as intrusive as Honda's, though. Maybe because Mazda wanted to preserve driver control? Maybe it's to prevent aggressive overcorrection at higher speeds or in icy conditions? Maybe they just didn't dedicate enough resources during development of the system? Who knows. But I'm happy with the way it works.

Back