Volvo announced plans to cap the top speed of all its new cars!

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
This would seem to be bad news for people who love to drive. What proportion of crashes occur at greater than 112 mph? Seems like a minimally productive area to focus on.

Why? As you say, there is no place in the USA where you can go 112 MPH. Even in Europe there are few places where you can go above 100 MPH.

Governing the top speed of a car is a pretty common practice actually. Usually based on the speed rating of the tires used so 130 mph is pretty common.

Yep. My old Saab was 137. An oddly specific number.
/Edit/ Well not technically a cap... Just it's top speed....
Not sure how you can argue against this. As long as there's no change in the power delivery up to 90-100.

Yep. My old Saab was 137. An oddly specific number.
/Edit/ Well not technically a cap... Just it's top speed....
Not sure how you can argue against this. As long as there's no change in the power delivery up to 90-100.

220 KM/H (drive)

Right, many are limited, some also at 155. My impression is that most daily drivers are drag limited, but it's neither here nor there.

It just struck me as low. Maybe it's just an excuse to fit T rated tires. Or make their cars less capable in other ways, like 7 suggested. I hope not.

I'd just hate to see a trend toward lower performance after the past few years when performance has been on the increase. I lived with the misery of the 70s and 80s and the dreaded double nickle. Not a problem, just my gut reaction. I wondered what others thought.

Why? As you say, there is no place in the USA where you can go 112 MPH. Even in Europe there are few places where you can go above 100 MPH.

Pretty sure I saw a stat that says that ~70% of the autobahn is unlimited. I regularly hit 130MPH in my 18 X3 and 160MPH in my previous M4. I know for a fact the CX-5 will sustain 120MPH

39dbb4bafe3f74310933513fd7f71b98.jpg

Do you live there?

Last edited:
Pretty sure I saw a stat that says that ~70% of the autobahn is unlimited. I regularly hit 130MPH in my *18 X3 and 160MPH in my previous M4. I know for a fact the CX-5 will sustain 120MPH

Do you live there?

Yeah, that is the one place but in the UK, France, etc, I think it is limited, no?

I support this move somewhat. I'd rather they cap the top speed than lower the power. That means I can still have a 300hp car with ample passing power. Don't care if the top speed is capped at 112mph since the highest speed limit I've seen in Texas is 80mph. I will still be passing other drivers comfortably when I want to.

As for why Volvo is doing this. My understanding is that 112mph is the highest speed at which they think you will survive an accident in their cars. To be honest, I don't know what's stopping them from lowering it to 100mph. If safety is really their concern that is.

Pretty sure I saw a stat that says that ~70% of the autobahn is unlimited. I regularly hit 130MPH in my *18 X3 and 160MPH in my previous M4. I know for a fact the CX-5 will sustain 120MPH

Do you live there?

I didn't hit 120, but years ago I drove stretches of I-80 in Wyoming at 110 MPH sustained in my CX-5.

I don't speed nearly that bad these days. ;) But to be fair, it was long, it was straight, and it was empty.

Last edited:
Don't care if the top speed is capped at 112mph since the highest speed limit I've seen in Texas is 80mph. I will still be passing other drivers comfortably when I want to.

Speed limit is 85 MPH for 40 mile stretch from Austin to San Antonio on HWY 130. I usually set my cruise at 93 and never have a problem with the police.

Speed limit is 85 MPH for 40 mile stretch from Austin to San Antonio on HWY 130. I usually set my cruise at 93 and never have a problem with the police.

I have yet to drive on that road, but am looking forward to doing that in the future.

Back