Very faint high pitched "mosquito" sound

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
My 2019 GTR (only 160 miles) started producing a very faint high pitched sound today in the cabin.. It almost sounds like a mosquito.

I notice it when I press the accelerator and when the car is at a standstill. It increases when I press on the accelerator and dies down when I let go of the gas.

It's very faint but noticeable. Now that I hear it, it's really annoying and bothering me.

Anyone else experience the same problem or have any clues?

Have a feeling that when I take it to the dealer, the techs are gonna tell me they cant hear anything.

=(

They most likely will not. Air guns and ratchets damage high-pitch hearing very quickly. I have not met a mechanic yet who can clearly hear high frequency sounds well.

They most likely will not. Air guns and ratchets damage high-pitch hearing very quickly. I have not met a mechanic yet who can clearly hear high frequency sounds well.
So true. But even if they could hear it, they probably would just say "normal".

My 2019 GTR (only 160 miles) started producing a very faint high pitched sound today in the cabin.. It almost sounds like a mosquito.

I notice it when I press the accelerator and when the car is at a standstill. It increases when I press on the accelerator and dies down when I let go of the gas.

It's very faint but noticeable. Now that I hear it, it's really annoying and bothering me.

Anyone else experience the same problem or have any clues?

Have a feeling that when I take it to the dealer, the techs are gonna tell me they cant hear anything.

=(

You know, turbos have a little intrinsic whine to them....

Could be the same thing Im describing in another thread. For whatever reason, I cant paste a link into the message reply. Its on page 2 of the CX-5 lounge. Title is 19 Reserve : Buzzing in Dash

I have either the same or similar whine, its primarily under acceleration. Started at about your same mileage, Im at 2k now and its there off and on.

I believe it to be the turbo because its primarily noticeable under mild acceleration in 5-6 gear. By mild I mean Im trying to accelerate but not so much as to change gears, the torque really hits around 2-3k rpm.

I also got a similar annoying noise under same circumstance. Didn't had chance to investigate yet because I got the car only 2 weeks ago. But when I reach my first oil change, I will try to see what they think about it if I don't get over annoyed before.

So true. But even if they could hear it, they probably would just say "normal".

You know, turbos have a little intrinsic whine to them....

I've had a couple of turbo cars before and it's a different sound.

This is more a faint buzzing/"mosquito" sound.

And it's noticeable even when the car is at a standstill at a stop sign.

Could be the same thing I*m describing in another thread. For whatever reason, I can*t paste a link into the message reply. It*s on page 2 of the CX-5 lounge. Title is 19 Reserve : Buzzing in Dash

I think it may be the same issue.

I hear the faint buzzing/"mosquito" sound when accelerating but it dies down when the foot is off of the accelerator.

However, I do still hear the sound even at a complete standstill (stop sign). Are you exhibiting the same issues even when the car is completely still?

The folks that are experiencing this, are you hearing the sound even at a complete standstill (stop sign)?

If it was because of the turbo I could see how that may play a part in the sound.

But even when I turn on the engine and it's in park, I hear it.

I can hear it at idle in park and when fully stopped in drive. Its more faint in those conditions but its there.

Its most noticeable around 1500-3000 under light to moderate throttle. I dont really hear it when coasting or when closer to full throttle, but that could be due to more engine noise.

Last edited:
Drove into work this morning with the radio off. I can hear from idle up to about 3k under the load conditions I described above. One thing I noticed that I mentioned in the other thread, is that it appears to be louder when the vehicle is cold. Id say its loudest 2000-2500.

Last edited:
Drove into work this morning with the radio off. I can hear from idle up to about 3k under the load conditions I described above. One thing I noticed that I mentioned in the other thread, is that it appears to be louder when the vehicle is cold. I*d say it*s loudest 2000-2500.

I'm wondering if this is an actual "problem" and how widespread it is.

From random searches, it looks like a number of users are experiencing this and not just in the turbo models.

Some of the fixes mentioned seem to range from axle dust seal lubrication to outright transmission replacement. (freak)

I drove my car some more this morning and now that I notice and can hear the sound, it's really annoying.

Last edited:
I have it on my reserve as well, started after the first 200. its like a high pitch cricket-y sound when at a complete stop and as soon as I start accelerating it goes faster but it faints out after I hit a certain speed but comes back when im close to stopping.

I have it on my reserve as well, started after the first 200. its like a high pitch cricket-y sound when at a complete stop and as soon as I start accelerating it goes faster but it faints out after I hit a certain speed but comes back when im close to stopping.

Yup, you just described my exact same scenario.

It sounds like it's the same sound as discussed in the other thread.

- Loudest when engine is under load and starts around 2000 RPM. I don't hear it when the vehicle is parked and run up to 2000 RPM.
- Extremely faint at idle
- Sound varies proportional to RPM in that 2000-2500 band
- Much more noticeable when cold, get's real faint when engine is fully warm.

It's not a rattle.

I suspect it's the turbo, valve train or some other engine component that emits a resonant buzzing sound as a function of temp, rpm and load.

Has anyone asked the dealer to look into it? I'm afraid they'll say it's "normal". Do we have any Mazda tech's in this forum?

Last edited:
Back