Automatic braking? What the heck?

wow funny how the automatic braking feature affects different people.
I've had NO issues with automatic braking, but then again, i do not tailgate or drive aggressively either.
It's there to help you avoid or decrease the damage of rear ending someone.
If this is a constant bother to you because it turns on so frequently...

1) could be a calibration or defective sensor
2) you're driving way too aggressively

fortunately or unfortunately, technology will always be part of new vehicles.

wow funny how the automatic braking feature affects different people.
I've had NO issues with automatic braking, but then again, i do not tailgate or drive aggressively either.
It's there to help you avoid or decrease the damage of rear ending someone.
If this is a constant bother to you because it turns on so frequently...

1) could be a calibration or defective sensor
2) you're driving way too aggressively

fortunately or unfortunately, technology will always be part of new vehicles.
I grew up in a third world country and learned to drive there, so my driving style is different, yeah you can say aggressive. When I learned to drive, there were no lanes to follow, you simply stay on the right if you are cruising. There were mostly no traffic lights at intersections, which means you learn to predict what other drivers will do and you learn to be assertive.

- If someone is turning right in front of me, I don't slow down to a crawl to let them complete the turn. I will continue on with minimal speed decrease as long as I think I won't rear end the car in front of me.
- If someone is turning left in front of me and I have the green light, I will continue moving forward allowing the vehicle to safely turn left in front of me, but I'm not stopping in the middle of the intersection to let them complete the illegal turn they are doing.

From what others have said here, both of those scenarios I listed above, might trigger the automatic brake system on me, depending on how much the distance is between me and the other vehicle. I'm almost positive it will trigger the automatic brake system on me the first time I will drive a Mazda with that feature.

I grew up in a third world country and learned to drive there, so my driving style is different, yeah you can say aggressive. When I learned to drive, there were no lanes to follow, you simply stay on the right if you are cruising. There were mostly no traffic lights at intersections, which means you learn to predict what other drivers will do and you learn to be assertive.

- If someone is turning right in front of me, I don't slow down to a crawl to let them complete the turn. I will continue on with minimal speed decrease as long as I think I won't rear end the car in front of me.
- If someone is turning left in front of me and I have the green light, I will continue moving forward allowing the vehicle to safely turn left in front of me, but I'm not stopping in the middle of the intersection to let them complete the illegal turn they are doing.

From what others have said here, both of those scenarios I listed above, might trigger the automatic brake system on me, depending on how much the distance is between me and the other vehicle. I'm almost positive it will trigger the automatic brake system on me the first time I will drive a Mazda with that feature.

Yeah, if you drive 3rd world style, you're going to have lots of issues in GP, TX, is my guess. Maybe use this car's systems as a tool to change your driving habits? Just like you'd have issues in Mexico driving like an American, visa verse.

Yeah, if you drive 3rd world style, you're going to have lots of issues in GP, TX, is my guess. Maybe use this car's systems as a tool to change your driving habits? Just like you'd have issues in Mexico driving like an American, visa verse.

In over 10+ years of driving here in America, I have never gotten into an accident where it was my fault. I was rear-ended twice but never caused any accidents. First one, driver said there was a spider in his car. Second one, I was about go on a 4 way stop, but the incoming pickup on the left did not show any intention of stopping until the last moment, which is when I stopped and the driver behind rear-ended me, probably because he wasn't paying attention.

My fear is that this auto braking feature on newer Mazdas will cause other drivers to rear end me as well. Oh well we will see. I'm not opposed to modifying my driving style. It could be as easy as increasing following distance between cars. As of now, I plan to enjoy my Speed3 for 3 more years so I don't foresee getting into a new Mazda soon. Though an AWD Mazda6 will probably change my mind.

Yeah, you should adapt your driving style to be more in line with your local traffic. I think aggressive drivers can be a blessing in disguise, they don't impede traffic like those who slow to 10 km/hr to turn off of a 70 km/hr road. I think you'd just have to increase your following distance a bit more. I'm more of an assertive driver, but I hate being tailgated so I make sure I never do it to others. I have my collision warning alerts set to come on at "Near" and it triggers quite rarely, maybe once in the last 6 months?

Last edited:
I had the opposite problem everyone is complaining about. I have a 2021 CX5 and while driving less than 20 mph had a medical emergency. I hit a parked car with no evidence of braking according to the police. I know the speed was low as the air bags did not deploy. I can no longer trust the auto braking system.

I had the opposite problem everyone is complaining about. I have a 2021 CX5 and while driving less than 20 mph had a medical emergency. I hit a parked car with no evidence of braking according to the police. I know the speed was low as the air bags did not deploy. I can no longer trust the auto braking system.
Did you hit the parked car at a glancing angle, in other words not square on?

@VermontJim , sorry to hear of your medical situation and impact with a parked car. Could it be possible your foot was still on the gas pedal? I noticed you said it was low speed so I assume you were not using cruise control. If you have your foot on the accelerator pedal, even a little, the car will sound alarms but NOT apply the brakes. (As I understand it). Which is good. That's how you keep the car from slamming on the brakes when the vehicle falsely senses a problem and you, the human does not want intervention. Just step on the gas a little.

If the car hasn't been driven since the crash, the data from the "black box" should tell you what happened.

To expand a little (I was typing from my phone last night) ...

I think public perception of these new "smart" sensing systems is it will prevent a collision. However, the vehicle manufacturer states in the owner's manual ...

(in part)
The SCBS F system alerts the driver of a possible collision ...
and
... the system reduces damage in the event of a collision ...
and specifically warns
Do not rely completely on the SCBS F system:
The SCBS F system is only designed to reduce damage in the event of a collision.

It also lists conditions that the SCBS may not operate normally:
  • Under the following conditions, the SCBS F system may not operate normally:
    • The SCBS F system will not operate if the driver is deliberately performing driving operations (accelerator pedal and steering wheel).
    • If there is the possibility of partial contact with a vehicle ahead.
    • The vehicle is driven on a slippery road surface such as wet roads or icy or snow-bound roads.
    • The braking performance is adversely affected due to cold temperatures or wet brakes.
    • The vehicle is driven at the same speed as the vehicle ahead.
    • The accelerator pedal is depressed.
    • The brake pedal is depressed.
    • The steering wheel is being operated.
    • The selector lever is being operated.

Every vehicle with automated "safety systems" I've driven disengage an active intervention as soon as you touch gas/brake/steering input. It's important to review your Owners Manual to be familiar with (particularly) systems that can activate brakes and steering so you know what to expect before your in a situation. It's important to know, beforehand, that if your vehicle suddenly beeps and flashes BRAKE! BRAKE! BRAKE! that YOU still have to make the driving decisions on what to do about the situation. Maybe the situation is nothing and all you need to do is step lightly on the accelerator pedal since you don't want people to plow into you if your car unnecessarily brakes hard (on it's own).

I decided to reset the SCB system to alert me later rather than at the normal distance. That way I am always ahead of the SCB actuation when I slow down and brake. My issue with the automatic brake system is neutralized by doing this and I still have the system in case of a real emergency. Ed

Back