Automatic braking? What the heck?

gdizzle

:
Mazda CX5 2014
I have the 2014 Cx5. Bought it used 6 months ago. No issues. Except very randomnly, like when I am driving into a slight dip, the brakes will automatically be applied and stutter for about 2 seconds. Then I see alert on my dash that says Automatic braking has occurred.
Well this is a major problem is that I have people driving behind me that then slam on their brakes etc... What in the heck is going on here? Is there some sort of way to permanently disable this option? I think they call is Smart City Brake Support, which is included in my Touring Package./

Sounds like a calibration issue. Dealer should be able to adjust it.

Independence Mazda dealership has had my CX5 for almost 2 weeks now I told them the smart city braking system was the worst thing I have ever seen and it would keep me from ever purchasing one of their vehicles. They told me they didn't know what to do I made 1 phone call to the national customer service number and they sit me email directions on how to disable it however it defaults back as soon as you turn off the vehicle and turn it back on. It bright so abruptly twice it has thrown everything in my front seat into the floorboard both times hard enough to hurt my neck The 1st time the Driver behind me actually hit my bumper and ask me Why the heck did I throw on breaks so hard. I actually felt my vehicle dip down forward.
1st starters the salesman never mentioned anything about this poor excuse of a wonderful application. When I go back they say oh yeah. Dear Japanese people I happen to be able to think all my own and no one I should break and when I should NotI want it to be noted that when there is a lawsuit against the company I WANT my share I have complained about this to my dealers she up the person that sold me the car and the service manager. However they all told me there was Nothing I could do that's what I call the national 1 800 number and he e-mail being the directions immediately on how to turn off the sorry Smart City braking system. Funny how no one at the dealership knew how to do this . This is a serious and yet dangerous flaw.
My previous car was a BMW..
Obviously the Germans are so They trust that you know when to brake for yourself . And obviously the Japanese think they know better than we do and they are not even in the car with us.
I want this dangerous device permanently disabled on my car.
I am not a happy BEAR and this was not a good experience from mazda!
UNhappy customer,
ROB

Independence Mazda dealership has had my CX5 for almost 2 weeks now I told them the smart city braking system was the worst thing I have ever seen and it would keep me from ever purchasing one of their vehicles. They told me they didn't know what to do I made 1 phone call to the national customer service number and they sit me email directions on how to disable it however it defaults back as soon as you turn off the vehicle and turn it back on. It bright so abruptly twice it has thrown everything in my front seat into the floorboard both times hard enough to hurt my neck The 1st time the Driver behind me actually hit my bumper and ask me Why the heck did I throw on breaks so hard. I actually felt my vehicle dip down forward.
1st starters the salesman never mentioned anything about this poor excuse of a wonderful application. When I go back they say oh yeah. Dear Japanese people I happen to be able to think all my own and no one I should break and when I should NotI want it to be noted that when there is a lawsuit against the company I WANT my share I have complained about this to my dealers she up the person that sold me the car and the service manager. However they all told me there was Nothing I could do that's what I call the national 1 800 number and he e-mail being the directions immediately on how to turn off the sorry Smart City braking system. Funny how no one at the dealership knew how to do this . This is a serious and yet dangerous flaw.
My previous car was a BMW..
Obviously the Germans are so They trust that you know when to brake for yourself . And obviously the Japanese think they know better than we do and they are not even in the car with us.
I want this dangerous device permanently disabled on my car.
I am not a happy BEAR and this was not a good experience from mazda!
UNhappy customer,
ROB

Mine is just the opposite. I tried everything to see if my car would brake autonomously and was unsuccessful. I thought it was a bad thing but maybe it is a good thing that it doesn't work.
This was just one of 5 different tests https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIpDrrNhBuo

Last edited:
Mine is just the opposite. I tried everything to see if my car would brake autonomously and was unsuccessful. I thought it was a bad thing but maybe it is a good thing that it doesn't work.
This was just one of 5 different tests https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIpDrrNhBuo

It's possible that your target is too small. "The SCBS is a system which operates in response to a vehicle ahead. The system may not be able to detect or react to 2-wheeled vehicles or pedestrians." Also not sure if the target material (cardboard) is having any effect.

Per Mazda, Advanced SCBS, which does indicate that it includes pedestrian detection, was not available on 2018 models in the US.

Mine worked once. It's a damn hazard and wish it wasn't on the vehicle. That said, it was predictable. Car in front of me was turning off, and I didn't slow down, because they were indeed leaving the AO. Well, they didn't leave soon enough/I got too close for my computer's comfort. Everything went on the floor and I was glad noone was on my bumper. Stupid feature is stupid.

I have a 2014 CX5 and it doesn't have automatic braking. I didn't know it was even offered in 2014. Ed

So how do you turn it off then? Someone care to share?
I had the same thing happen on the interstate when travelling to Florida.
Someone in the left lane decided to exit at the last second, and cut in front of me to get to the exit ramp.
There was no danger of a collision, but my car thought otherwise. I was not impressed.

Flawed test. The system has to detect something that looks like a car, not a thin, stationary cardboard box.

Mine worked once. It's a damn hazard and wish it wasn't on the vehicle. That said, it was predictable. Car in front of me was turning off, and I didn't slow down, because they were indeed leaving the AO. Well, they didn't leave soon enough/I got too close for my computer's comfort. Everything went on the floor and I was glad noone was on my bumper. Stupid feature is stupid.

I've had a few instances where something just like this happened to me. Only difference is that I acknowledged that the fault was on me, not the system. I got too close, so the system intervened. Can't blame it for doing what it was intended to do.

Someone in the left lane decided to exit at the last second, and cut in front of me to get to the exit ramp.
There was no danger of a collision, but my car thought otherwise. I was not impressed.

The system is just doing what it was designed to do. When a car cuts in front of you close enough to trigger the system, there is always potential for a collision. The system just tried to mitigate it. You'd be singing a different song if the guy cut in front of you and then hit the brakes abruptly (insurance scam), because the system would have saved you.

makes you wonder if its software glitch simillar....some people complain about issues while other have not seen it working.

On mine the only thing Ive seen is a big HUD red warning "brake" but it did not trigger autostop. It was because of the car in front turning right and slowing.

'17 CX5 GT. It acted a few times. I am sure mine is working as designed.
One time when I pulled on to my driveway too quickly. The system thought I was going to hit the garage doors. In fact my foot was already on the brake. It beat me by one mili second. Other times, a vehicle was waiting to turn left and was blocking the road (only 1 lane). I got very close and was ready to move to the right to pass it. The vehicle did not know my intention and BRAKEd for me. (1 second after beeping)

on the settings screen

[from the 17 manual]

sbs.JPG

Last edited:
on the settings screen

[from the 17 manual]

sbs.JPG

This a temporary solution if someone is motivated enough to go through the menu process every time they drive the car. Once the engine is restarted, the system automatically reactivates.

This a temporary solution if someone is motivated enough to go through the menu process every time they drive the car. Once the engine is restarted, the system automatically reactivates.

Oh. That's lame.
In that case I'd just set it to "near" and hope for the best.

Pull the bloody fuse ... or learn how to adjust the following distance for the feature

I agree with pulling the fuse. If there isn't one, find where the sensor is and try unplugging it. I am not familiar with this feature, my fiance has a 2016 CX-5 without this and I have had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and now have a 18 Toyota Tacoma that both have forward collision alert systems. With both of these, you are alerted if you are approaching a vehicle in front of you too quickly. They both also have adaptive cruise control, and when a vehicle slows down in front of you (or some a-hole cuts you off which happens constantly when you give any amount of room between you and the car in front of you) it just backs off, and applies the brakes if the car is close enough. They are only able to apply brakes at something like 80% max though. Adaptive cruise and the lane assist does not work at low speeds.

A low speed system can be very costly and very glitchy. At low speeds, it is very difficult for computer systems to determine if the feedback it is getting is from a parked car it is about to hit, a parked car it will move by safely, a tree, street sign, etc.. It seems there is not a single mode of failure here but rather that it can be too sensitive, or not sensitive enough, both of which can cause safety issues. I see no reason why Mazda should require you to disable a feature, that if malfunctioning is a serious safety concern, every time the car turns on. It may be too late now, but you could try going back to the dealer to have them look at the problem. Some are much better about fixing issues that are not discovered until the car is driven than others. Some other things to try would be to determine if the sensor has gone bad and replace if it has, reflash the computer system that controls this (probably the ECU), or possibly find the sensor and just try cleaning it and the electrical connections.

Put duct tape over the laser transmitter. It will also stop the annoying laser detector alarms.

I just realized that this auto brake feature will interfere with my driving style. I will either have to change my driving style or increase following distance, or get a different car altogether unless Mazda adds an option to leave it permanently off.

Back