2017+ CX-5 AWD Differential Fluid Change

Dont have pics but it seems easy.
Here are the official instructions.

for the rear differential
1. Place the vehicle on level ground.
2. Remove the filler plug. (at the rear near top side)
3. Remove the drain plug (at the rear near bottom) and drain the differential oil into a container.
4. Install a new washer and the drain plug, and tighten.
Tightening torque
4053 Nm {4.15.4 kgfm, 3039 ftlbf}
5. Add the specified differential oil from the filler plug (at the rear top side) until the level reaches the brim of the plug hole.
6. After filling with differential oil, perform oil level inspection.
7. Install a new washer and the drain plug, and tighten.
Tightening torque
4053 Nm {4.15.4 kgfm, 3039 ftlbf}
Capacity (approx. quantity): 0.45 L {0.48 US qt, 0.40 Imp qt}

for the transfer case in front
1. Remove the front under cover No.2..
2. Remove the drain plug (at the bottom of the transfer case) with the washer.
3. Drain the oil into a suitable container.
4. Tighten the drain plug with a new washer.
Tightening torque
4058 Nm {4.15.9 kgfm, 3042 ftlbf}
5. Remove the oil level plug (on the side above) with the washer and add the specified amount and type of oil through the oil level plug hole until the level reaches the bottom of the oil level plug hole.
6. Tighten the oil level plug with a new washer.
Tightening torque
4058 Nm {4.15.9 kgfm, 3042 ftlbf}
Capacity (approx quantity): 0.45 L {0.48 US qt, 0.40 lmp qt}

for the rear differential
Capacity (approx. quantity): 0.45 L {0.48 US qt, 0.40 Imp qt}
For gen-2 CX-5 AWD, the specs say the rear differential gear oil capacity is 0.39 US quarts, not 0.48 quarts that's for gen-1 CX-5. But in reality, we may need up to 0.75 US quarts if we "add the specified differential oil from the filler plug (at the rear top side) until the level reaches the brim of the plug hole".

Are the drain plug gaskets for Gen 2 the same as in Gen 1?

I assume Gen 2 uses the Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil?

I'm lurking from the CX-9 group. Been thinking about the same question on my 2018 CX-9: What's the procedure for tranny, xfer case, and rear diff. drain and refill. Are the drive trains the same between these two cars? I remember reading somewhere that the CX-9 borrows a lot from the CX-5 with regards to drive train components. Thanks.

I'm lurking from the CX-9 group. Been thinking about the same question on my 2018 CX-9: What's the procedure for tranny, xfer case, and rear diff. drain and refill. Are the drive trains the same between these two cars? I remember reading somewhere that the CX-9 borrows a lot from the CX-5 with regards to drive train components. Thanks.
Yes, your 2018 CX-9 AWD has the same front transfer case and rear differential as CX-5s. And gear lubricant capacity (4.5 qts front、3.7 qts rear)、type (Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1)、and drain and fill procedure are all the same.

Be aware you actually need about 0.75 qts of gear lubricant for rear differential.

As a common knowledge, you always want to loose and remove the oil level plug / filler plug first than remove the drain plug for both gear lubricant changes.

I have a 2016 CX-9 AWD... You guys think it's ok to mix in a Full synthetic like Motorcraft or mobil 1 75W-140 for the drain/fill instead of the Mazda hypoid gear oil SG1? I don't know what the SG1 is? 80w-90 or synthetic??? I'm in Texas where it gets pretty hot. I just don't want to mess anything up if the additives don't mix together well... Should I worry?

Also, making sure I get this right on this vehicle... I have Three things to drain/fill (The ATF, the transfer case, and the rear diff).... The manual says the Transfer Case & the Rear Diff both have .48qt capacity... So I can buy just one quart and take care of both of them.... Do they both have drain & fill plugs?

I guess on this car the transfer case handles the front axle like a front diff and then we just have the rear diff.

For the transmission fluid... Supposedly no dipstick anywhere... So on my car is there a seperate drain & fill plug or are they one in the same?... if it's dirty I guess I'll just use the oem mazda

I just got this vehicle last year, so I'm messing with this

Thanks In Advance

I have a 2016 CX-9 AWD... You guys think it's ok to mix in a Full synthetic like Motorcraft or mobil 1 75W-140 for the drain/fill instead of the Mazda hypoid gear oil SG1? I don't know what the SG1 is? 80w-90 or synthetic??? I'm in Texas where it gets pretty hot. I just don't want to mess anything up if the additives don't mix together well... Should I worry?

NO don't mix oil.

What is hypoid oil?

Mazda hypoid gear oil to my knowledge does not have a generic equivalent.

What the. . Don't mess around with mixing oil. Either use the expensive oem hyoid oil, or use 80w90, the "other" mazda gear oil (which was specified before they introduced hypoid), which also can be found of the shelf.. also hypoid gear oil is pretty easy to find. 80w90 or 75w90 (easier to fibd) is what you need weight wise

like others had said, use only OEM SG1 gear oil for your 2016 CX-9 AWD!

Also, making sure I get this right on this vehicle... I have Three things to drain/fill (The ATF, the transfer case, and the rear diff).... The manual says the Transfer Case & the Rear Diff both have .48qt capacity... So I can buy just one quart and take care of both of them.... Do they both have drain & fill plugs?
The capacity of the rear differential in your owner’’s manual is incorrect! You need about 0.75 ~ 0.85 quarts for the rear. For front transfer case the capacity is cortect, 0.48 quarts. This means you need 2 bottles of SG1 to cover the front transfer case and rear differential gear oil drain-and-fill. Yes, they both have drain and fill plugs and always loose the fill plug first with a shallow socket.

I guess on this car the transfer case handles the front axle like a front diff and then we just have the rear diff.
No, the front differential is inside of transmission, hence it’s “transaxle”. The front transfer case is an add-on gear box piggybacked to a additional output shaft from transaxle and transfer the power to the rear differential via a long drive shaft.

For the transmission fluid... Supposedly no dipstick anywhere... So on my car is there a seperate drain & fill plug or are they one in the same?... if it's dirty I guess I'll just use the oem mazda
There’s an ATF dipstick and can be served as fill hole. The drain plug is on the ATF pan. Since you can only get less than half of the old ATF out during the drain, you should use OEM ATF FZ to mix with old ATF left in the transmission. Some are doing multiple times of drain-and-fill to put more fresh ATF in the transmission.

I just got this vehicle last year, so I'm messing with this

Thanks In Advance
Do some searches in the forum and you’ll find more details for your drain-and-fill processes on these.

Last edited:
Great Reply... Thank You Much! I figured some of this out, but it's nice to have in one thread for future people that don't know... Thanks guys... Last question.. Is the ATF dipstick under the Engine Air Filter Housing?? 2016 CX-9 AWD... They couldn't find it and said it was a sealed unit without one before I posted my questions.

Great Reply... Thank You Much! I figured some of this out, but it's nice to have in one thread for future people that don't know... Thanks guys... Last question.. Is the ATF dipstick under the Engine Air Filter Housing?? 2016 CX-9 AWD... They couldn't find it and said it was a sealed unit without one before I posted my questions.
2016 CX-9 has SkyActiv-G 2.5T with 6-speed SkyActiv-Drive transmission which is the same setup as top trim 2019 / 2020 CX-5‘s. The 6-speed transmissions all have the same design with some minor tweaks and different gear ratios. You can see the official transmission workshop documents in the link provided, but that’s for non-turbo. Yes, the ATF stick is under the air box. With additional turbo plumbing it’s hard to reach ATF dipstick from the top.

ATF Drain/Fill

Yes, your 2018 CX-9 AWD has the same front transfer case and rear differential as CX-5s. And gear lubricant capacity (4.5 qts front、3.7 qts rear)、type (Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1)、and drain and fill procedure are all the same.

Be aware you actually need about 0.75 qts of gear lubricant for rear differential.

As a common knowledge, you always want to loose and remove the oil level plug / filler plug first than remove the drain plug for both gear lubricant changes.
Thanks for the information! I've linked this thread to our CX-9 Resource Sticky here.

Latest posts

Back