Consumer reports 2019 just rated the Subaru Forester #1. What was the Cx5's ranking?

:
CX5
Consumer reports 2019 just came out this week and rated the Subaru Forester #1 compact SUV. What was the Cx5's ranking? Has anyone read the magazine? I know the CX5 was rated near the top on the 2018 magazine.

You need to take those reviews/rankings with a grain of salt.
Especially when stuff like this happens all the time:

And Car & Driver rank the CX5 number 1, Forester 2 and Rav4 #3.
They call the Forester "boring and dull"....
They're will simply never be a best that everyone agrees on.

It all depends on what your priorities are for determining the ranking. I can completely understand why the Forester gets ranked number 1 by CR. They tend to focus more on overall practicality of a car vs driving passion or handling at the limits like say a C&R does. For the price the Forester has a great mix of standard features (full safety systems, LED headlights), passenger room and cargo room, fuel economy, reliability, resale value, and standard AWD.

Forester was overall number 1 with an overall score of 89, CX-5 was second with 82, CR-V was 3rd at 77. The new RAV4 is being tested right now and is not currently ranked.

Last edited:
And Car & Driver rank the CX5 number 1, Forester 2 and Rav4 #3.
They call the Forester "boring and dull"....
They're will simply never be a best that everyone agrees on.

Yeah, every publication has different #1's.

Who cares. For every reason someone might call the CR-V #1, is probably every reason I hate on it.

For every reason the Forrester is called #1, I can point to how slow and god awful and spartan my Mom's Subaru is.

For every reason a new RAV4 might be better (MPG?), I can say I don't give a rats ass about MPG.

It all depends on what you want out of the car.

Yeah, every publication has different #1's.

Who cares. For every reason someone might call the CR-V #1, is probably every reason I hate on it.

For every reason the Forrester is called #1, I can point to how slow and god awful and spartan my Mom's Subaru is.

For every reason a new RAV4 might be better (MPG?), I can say I don't give a rats ass about MPG.

It all depends on what you want out of the car.

I can't say the CRV is #1 at anything until the engine is fixed. That overshadows everything else.

Looks like the CR-V isn't #1 on any list this year. How the mighty have fallen....

Now the mid-sized SUV category is split into 3 row and 2 row.
#1 in 3 row was the new Subaru Ascent.
#1 in 2 row was the new Hyundai Santa Fe.

Now the mid-sized SUV category is split into 3 row and 2 row.
#1 in 3 row was the new Subaru Ascent.
#1 in 2 row was the new Hyundai Santa Fe.

Helps to post which lists you're referring to. Some publications weigh things differently than others.

Looks like the CR-V isn't #1 on any list this year. How the mighty have fallen....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaiW7Uxp7OU

It all depends on what your priorities are for determining the ranking. I can completely understand why the Forester gets ranked number 1 by CR. They tend to focus more on overall practicality of a car vs driving passion or handling at the limits like say a C&R does. For the price the Forester has a great mix of standard features (full safety systems, LED headlights), passenger room and cargo room, fuel economy, reliability, resale value, and standard AWD.

Forester was overall number 1 with an overall score of 89, CX-5 was second with 82, CR-V was 3rd at 77. The new RAV4 is being tested right now and is not currently ranked.

I agree with this. If you're buying an SUV, MOST PEOPLE are buying it for the space and practicality, which is why these companies value that more than anything else. Forester does well here. Since I need more space than a passenger vehicle but not as much as something like a Forester I'd stick with a CX-5.

If I am going by Consumer Reports I also look at the used vehicle recommendations. In this case the CX-5 as a used vehicle is recommended for the years 2015-2018, Rav4 2015-2018 is recommended, CR-V 2015-2018 recommended. The Forester is not recommended which is kind of strange the only Subaru that is recommended used is the Crosstrek 2016-2018. Not sure why this is the case.

Magazine name is in thread title.
I would only need to mention a source
if it were another source.

Some confusion remains between the previous 3 row version of the Santa Fe (the XL, is temporally still for sale) along side of the
totally new 2019 SF (2.5 inches wider) but the former actually has very little in common with the latter, previously sold as SF "Sport," their 2 row version.
No more Sport. Soon no more SF XL. All new Palisade replaces it this summer.
Hyundai got the name game memo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaiW7Uxp7OU

I agree with this. If you're buying an SUV, MOST PEOPLE are buying it for the space and practicality, which is why these companies value that more than anything else. Forester does well here. Since I need more space than a passenger vehicle but not as much as something like a Forester I'd stick with a CX-5.

I knew someone would prove me wrong. [emoji1787] It certainly has fallen from Grace, though. I also wouldn't say MOST people buy for those reasons.
A (sad) reason many people buy them is they feel safer. I've heard quite a few say that... or they want to... sit higher (mostly women). Seriously. We all know someone who's said that, right?
Also... Read an article recently: they're getting older. It's easier to get into an SUV with old knees.
They're just so many reasons people are buying these it's hard to say "most".

Last edited:
I knew someone would prove me wrong. [emoji1787] It certainly has fallen from Grace, though. I also wouldn't say MOST people buy for those reasons.
A (sad) reason many people buy them is they feel safer. I've heard quite a few say that... or they want to... sit higher (mostly women). Seriously. We all know someone who's said that, right?
Also... Read an article recently: they're getting older. It's easier to get into an SUV with old knees.
They're just so many reasons people are buying these it's hard to say "most".
To be fair, I grew up driving high off the ground vehicles like Jeeps. It's what I am used to.

And it's not just older folks. I have long legs. Getting in and out of a lot of low to the ground cars is a pain in the ass. Really comes down to that, and ground clearance when I'm up in my old digs in the mountains.

And then there is AWD.

Cargo space cubic inches or feet or whatever means **** all to me unless you are regularly packing to the brim, which I have done twice in 6 years. Big whoop.

Honestly, top reasons I bought a CX-5? Has AWD, doesn't look like the old fogey mobile a CR-V does, and it handles nicely. Simplistic sophistication of driver centric driving engagement without the bulls*** over the top crap many other manufacturers are doing with buttons for everything and messy, busy dashboards.

Last edited:
Back