Toyo A36

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
That's what's on my CX5, and so far, they seem really good? I thought the Toyo A26's really sucked, are the A36's truly g2g? You can get them for $135/tire roughly in 225/55/19!

OE Toyo A36 225/55R19 found on gen-2 CX-5 is very similar to OE Toyo A23 225/55R19 on gen-1 CX-5. A23 used to cost $269.31 each of course the price is outrageous. Even with the current price which has been down to ~$120, its still kind of expensive as the tread life is only a half of other tires based on 300 A A UTQG rating.

OE Toyo A36 225/55R19 found on gen-2 CX-5 is very similar to OE Toyo A23 225/55R19 on gen-1 CX-5. A23 used to cost $269.31 each of course the price is outrageous. Even with the current price which has been down to ~$120, it*s still kind of expensive as the tread life is only a half of other tires based on *300 A A* UTQG rating.

Wow. This car is super quiet. If the A36 is putting off road noise similar to A23, that's a helluva testament to the sound deadening Mazda is using!

It is a softer tire, thus the lower thread life. Grip is good.
Seems tire is ok although sometimes on very rough asphalt it can be noisy. Still.... noticed mine got a bit quieter after the first 1000 or so miles.

Never had gen1 cx5 so I cant compare. Drove Edge 15' before which was dead silent but thats another car.

The sound deading on the gen2 is nothing special. Overhyped. I have looked under carpets, behind doors and in engine compartment. Dual layer front side windows is good addition though. But most cars of that price range and even a bit lower had this years ago, so I can only assume gen1 did not have any sound deading material at all :)

It is a softer tire, thus the lower thread life. Grip is good.
Seems tire is ok although sometimes on very rough asphalt it can be noisy. Still.... noticed mine got a bit quieter after the first 1000 or so miles.

Never had gen1 cx5 so I cant compare. Drove Edge 15' before which was dead silent but thats another car.

The sound deading on the gen2 is nothing special. Overhyped. I have looked under carpets, behind doors and in engine compartment. Dual layer front side windows is good addition though. But most cars of that price range and even a bit lower had this years ago, so I can only assume gen1 did not have any sound deading material at all :)

It literally didn't. Zero. The cx5 is pretty quiet in gen 2.

I give credit to mazda for going that route. If they keep up in few years time next models would be even more and more fun with even more tech.
Little by little seem they fix all complaints I see on the net for previous models.

And have to give them credit for the engine too. The 2.5T is amazing almost no lag turbo technology on top of the skyactiv engine.

By the way when I got mine I was planning to get rid of the Toyos and put summer only Michelins or Contis.
Eventually came to conclusion the a36 is ok and if I blow a tire it would be 130 to replace vs 220+ :)

By the way when I got mine I was planning to get rid of the Toyos and put summer only Michelins or Contis.
Eventually came to conclusion the a36 is ok and if I blow a tire it would be 130 to replace vs 220+ :)

I'm going to replace mine, but only after they wear out. They don't see to be hazardous. When I do replace them, the TrueContact Tour will get my vote, unless something changes between now and then.
Also, give the Gen 2 a little credit in the sound isolation:

CX-5-NVH-graph-980x551.jpg

At highway speeds, Mazda*s efforts to silence the CX-5 with a thicker windshield and additional sound insulation have paid dividends. In our test, the sound level at 70 mph dropped from the previous model*s 69-decibel reading to a luxury-car-like 65 decibels.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15094826/2017-mazda-cx-5-fwd-test-review/
http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/desktop.html
https://www.autoblog.com/short-cuts/2017-mazda-cx-5-sound-reduction-tricks_58c32c9cbbbb0a33b44ce786/

Last edited:
Well, if I want go cheap, or most cost-effective 225/55R19 tire, Radar Dimax AS-8 would be my top choice as its about $90 each with much longer tread life at 600 A A UTQG and its also 103V rated tire. The reviews all seem pretty good too.

Also, give the Gen 2 a little credit in the sound isolation:
Yes. But Mazda apparently also screwed up several things along the way. Based on many reports here, liquid engine and transmission mounts would freeze up in cold weather which causes severe vibration. And front liquid suspension bushings (?) apparently would cause some vibration at certain highway speed only Michelin Premier LTX tires can fix that. (eek2)

I put Michelin Defenders T+H on my CX5 at 46,000 miles, and have put 10,000 on them. They are quite a bit quieter, and smoother than the originals, and it is so nice to be able to accelerate from a stop on a wet road without the tires losing traction as easily as the original equipment tires did.

After today,I can tell you that they won't get you kilt in tha skreetz when it snows, but they sure aren't up to the LX20's and RT43's I've previously had. I will keep them on the vehicle until they are down to about 4/32, and then probably go with Altimax RT43's, as CR rated them #1.

52976979_10100153339983841_4800580690150162432_o.jpg

Also, yeah, I'm averaging around 25mpg now. The life-time average is something like 24.3-24.4, IIRC. Within 1mpg of my 2015 Touring 2.5 AWD. Turbo engine is best engine. The 2.5 NA engine is good for flat states and slow roads, but it is too strung out on hills and freeways.

After today,I can tell you that they won't get you kilt in tha skreetz when it snows, but they sure aren't up to the LX20's and RT43's I've previously had. I will keep them on the vehicle until they are down to about 4/32, and then probably go with Altimax RT43's, as CR rated them #1.
Didn't know CR has rated General AltiMAX RT43 #1!

And didn't know now the "analog" speedometer on 2019 CX-5 is full electronic, and displays only mph without km/h numbers showing together.

An argument with a pothole ended up with a sidewall tear, irreparable. I've got ~15k miles on the car and tires. DO I replace just the damaged tire, or should I replace a pair? I haven't measure the tread depth.

Thanks.

An argument with a pothole ended up with a sidewall tear, irreparable. I've got ~15k miles on the car and tires. DO I replace just the damaged tire, or should I replace a pair? I haven't measure the tread depth.

Thanks.

I'd play by Subaru's rules. 2/32 diff at most.

With AWD you should have the replacement tire shaved to match the other three, else the AWD may over engage...

Back