I dumped my CX-5 finally

Both vehicles were traded out of because of major repairs not covered as they were out of warranty, and a loss of faith in their financial solidity for the rest ofthe loan terms. Makes sense to me that Id get a warranty that will cover this one for the life of the loan.

I wonder how many people would take delivery of a brand new Mazda if say at the last minute of the deal, the salesman says "look, I'll take an additional $1500 off if you waive the factory warranty". If they're so believing the reliability of this brand, would they forego the warranty altogether for a discount?

Both vehicles were traded out of because of major repairs not covered as they were out of warranty, and a loss of faith in their financial solidity for the rest ofthe loan terms. Makes sense to me that Id get a warranty that will cover this one for the life of the loan.

I don't know. How ahead are you really getting...still paying 2 cars ago, and it's a 72 month loan? Eh...

I guess I factor at a certain point in any car, even reliable cars, some amount of repair is expected. My loan term was 48 months and that has come and gone. Powertrain was still good until last year when I hit 60k. At this point I'd figure if I hit something needing repairing in the $1000-$1200 range once I hit north of 100k miles, that's an acceptable expectation. If the transmission goes out though, I'd definitely be pissed, but at this point with a paid off car, I can certainly afford to make a fund for the next car which doubles as a repair fund which as of right now I am ahead of any extended warranty at maybe $500 spent for repairs (not counting cosmetic repairs, accidents, etc.) since I bought the car on 4/20/13 to now almost 6 years later. As far as I am concerned even if something came up at north of $1k, I'm still ahead of a $2400 warranty which is more like a $2644 warranty at the 3.24% over 72 months term.

When the time comes for a new car, I'll have a sizable down-payment available similar to your trade-in number if not higher and be able to get another 48 month loan affordably (assuming I stick to my $25-$30k limit), powertrain is covered through that length and more at which point the cycle of building the fund begins again.

That's just me though. Certainly wouldn't work if I was trading out every 3 years though.

Anyway, congrats on the new ride! What's your thought on the chrome, and does the GT-R have that glossy trim between the windows like the Sig?

Last edited:
I don't know. How ahead are you really getting...still paying 2 cars ago, and it's a 72 month loan? Eh...

I guess I factor at a certain point in any car, even reliable cars, some amount of repair is expected. My loan term was 48 months and that has come and gone. Powertrain was still good until last year when I hit 60k. At this point I'd figure if I hit something needing repairing in the $1000-$1200 range once I hit north of 100k miles, that's an acceptable expectation. If the transmission goes out though, I'd definitely be pissed, but at this point with a paid off car, I can certainly afford to make a fund for the next car which doubles as a repair fund which as of right now I am ahead of any extended warranty at maybe $500 spent for repairs (not counting cosmetic repairs, accidents, etc.) since I bought the car on 4/20/13 to now almost 6 years later. As far as I am concerned even if something came up at north of $1k, I'm still ahead of a $2400 warranty which is more like a $2644 warranty at the 3.24% over 72 months term.

When the time comes for a new car, I'll have a sizable down-payment available similar to your trade-in number if not higher and be able to get another 48 month loan affordably (assuming I stick to my $25-$30k limit), powertrain is covered through that length and more at which point the cycle of building the fund begins again.

That's just me though. Certainly wouldn't work if I was trading out every 3 years though.

Anyway, congrats on the new ride! What's your thought on the chrome, and does the GT-R have that glossy trim between the windows like the Sig?

Smart man!

I wonder how many people would take delivery of a brand new Mazda if say at the last minute of the deal, the salesman says "look, I'll take an additional $1500 off if you waive the factory warranty". If they're so believing the reliability of this brand, would they forego the warranty altogether for a discount?

I would, because if my car needs fixed under the warranty term that cost more than $1500, then I bought the wrong damn car to begin with initially.

But, in reality, that salesman would be hating life even more because I*d be getting $1500 more off the car, and the intial factory warranty too. His finance manager can keep his extended warranty and gap insurance too when he tries to spill to me their value and gain a massive amount of his profit loss back. Pass...

And so, one of the most vocal KF detractors crosses to the dark side. How could he not? He could not deny the intrinsic goodness of the second generation CX-5 turbo. He had to have it. I might have done the same thing in his position.

I was personally tickled to hear the news. Now a large portion of the negativity that has so often infected this forum may disappear. Maybe unob will be so happy with his new ride that he won't have to b**** constantly.

Ya think? NAH

I would, because if my car needs fixed under the warranty term that cost more than $1500, then I bought the wrong damn car to begin with initially.

With the right vehicle, it's definitely a worthwhile risk to consider. It'd be one thing if I was like Yrwei and did every TSB under the sun. I didn't, and car is still fine and when it came to actual repairs, I've spent under $500...

Honestly, I could be persuaded. I'd blow through the factory bumper to bumper in way less than 3 years anyway. I bought mine on 4/20/13 and I think I hit 30k miles around September-ish of 2014. So what...a year and half? Yeah, give me the $1500. Honestly, I'd probably be north of 100k miles already if it wasn't for the fact I hardly drove from like Nov 2014 through September 2015 (timeframe also known as the "Living Hell" - I have a t-shirt to that effect...).

Last edited:
With the right vehicle, it's definitely a worthwhile risk to consider. It'd be one thing if I was like Yrwei and did every TSB under the sun. I didn't, and car is still fine and when it came to actual repairs, I've spent under $500...

Honestly, I could be persuaded. I'd blow through the factory bumper to bumper in way less than 3 years anyway. I bought mine on 4/20/13 and I think I hit 30k miles around September-ish of 2014. So what...a year and half?

Yea zero TSBs here. Stealership would prob cause me actual troubles. Lol

Mine falls under the EPB and rear caliper one. I*ve checked them at every few thousands miles, and they*re wearing as evenly as possible. I*m good with it...

That is a sensible and realistic strategy.

Buying an extended warranty is just betting against yourself, like any insurance. The reason they are sold is because they are extremely profitable, i.e., they pay out FAR LESS overall than they charge. But that's over a large population, not an individual.

Sounds like unob probably NEEDS an extended warranty due to all the bad luck [was it luck or something else?] he's had with cars. He's spooked by the specter of repairs. The dealer knows him well, knows his history, and had no trouble at all selling unob on it. If it makes him feel $2400 more comfortable, I say more power to him, and to each his own.

And congratulations on the new ride.

You guys are going to make Unob return his CX5. All the talk of equity and warranty is fine. Biggest mistake is not buying the right car. If he gets that right he'll be fine.
Even though I am not in need of a car now I still have autotrader app and have shortlisted my next car. I guess we all can behave like kids in candy shop occasionally. ♥️🌈

That is a sensible and realistic strategy.

Buying an extended warranty is just betting against yourself, like any insurance. The reason they are sold is because they are extremely profitable, i.e., they pay out FAR LESS overall than they charge. But that's over a large population, not an individual.

Sounds like unob probably NEEDS an extended warranty due to all the bad luck [was it luck or something else?] he's had with cars. He's spooked by the specter of repairs. The dealer knows him well, knows his history, and had no trouble at all selling unob on it. If it makes him feel $2400 more comfortable, I say more power to him, and to each his own.

And congratulations on the new ride.

Every car I've owned has needed more than 2400 (some, MUCH MORE) work between 60 and 150K miles.

But the internet says this one will be different, even though it has a turbo, adaptive lighting, and a whole ton of other stuff IN ADDITION to what died on my previous vehicles...which include Infiniti, Jeep, Ford, Chrysler, GM, and a previous Mazda.

Forgive my skepticism and purchase of the warranty...

Every car I've owned has needed more than 2400 (some, MUCH MORE) work between 60 and 150K miles.

But the internet says this one will be different, even though it has a turbo, adaptive lighting, and a whole ton of other stuff IN ADDITION to what died on my previous vehicles...which include Infiniti, Jeep, Ford, Chrysler, GM, and a previous Mazda.

Sorry Uno, did not mean to rain on any parades.

I'd be happy with a turbo too, I think.

Anyway, congrats again!

Like I said, YOU probably need one. Sounds like you've had worse luck with cars than anyone I've ever heard of. I wonder why; the way you treat them maybe? Your fear of repairs is extreme, and perhaps in YOUR case, it's justified. Many people here do not share your fear. In that case, the warranty is a good thing for YOU because YOU feel the need for it. It's a personal choice. One size does not fit all. Understand? I'm sure it'll work out for you, since the cost is rolled into your payment, and you won't even notice it. So if you need it, you've got it, and if you don't need it, it at least will have made you feel more secure. That's worth something.

"But the internet says"? Since when is there consensus on the internet about ANYTHING? You make specious statements so that you can contradict them. So even though I was supporting your decision, you chose to argue about it. But I understand. You can't help yourself.

Like I said: NAH. Trolls gonna troll.

Like I said, YOU probably need one. Sounds like you've had worse luck with cars than anyone I've ever heard of. I wonder why; the way you treat them maybe? Your fear of repairs is extreme, and perhaps in YOUR case, it's justified. Many people here do not share your fear. In that case, the warranty is a good thing for YOU because YOU feel the need for it. It's a personal choice. One size does not fit all. Understand? I'm sure it'll work out for you, since the cost is rolled into your payment, and you won't even notice it. So if you need it, you've got it, and if you don't need it, it at least will have made you feel more secure. That's worth something.

"But the internet says"? Since when is there consensus on the internet about ANYTHING? You make specious statements so that you can contradict them. So even though I was supporting your decision, you chose to argue about it. But I understand. You can't help yourself.

Like I said: NAH. Trolls gonna troll.

Probably how I abused that fuel preasure regulator, or used the AC compressor too much, or maybe how I was super careless with the valve cover gasket or downright negligent with the water pump...

Dunno man. Its hard to blame those.

Back