I dumped my CX-5 finally

I've done it twice in the past - once with a Nissan Quest and again with a Corvette. If I had either pocketed the money or invested it in stocks, I would've been well ahead, even with the Corvette. Continuing to buy extended warranties is like winning once or twice in Las Vegas and expecting that in the end, you will end up with more money than when you started - the odds will beat you most of the time. It's statistics, plain and simple.

Right price...maybe....

$2400 is an easy no from me. 6 years in and repairs have cost me maybe $500ish between the tensioner and that at shifter switch.

Only other repairs have been cosmetic like the passenger mirror housing - $150 if I recall? And whatever I have to pay to fix the damage that hit and run guy did to me Friday.

^Agreed hey its piece of mind but dang- lot o cash on a pretty reliable steed there- hope its transferable at least- I'm not at 150 but I'm losing that trade handily at this point..until I wrote that(headshake

Last edited:
Continuing to buy extended warranties is like winning once or twice in Las Vegas and expecting that in the end, you will end up with more money than when you started - the odds will beat you most of the time. It's statistics, plain and simple.

If it wasn't a winner for the underwriters, they wouldn't offer them. Overall they're a big loser for most consumers unless they get "lucky" and have to use it.

That warranty would have saved me $1200 if I had it on the cx5 I traded in. The fuel pressure regulator went out. I won that coin toss, in the deal, but the warranty is 100% worth it in my personal experience with the cx5. Itnwoild also have covered my leaking valve cover gasket, and anything else before 150k miles. We're only 2/3 there and $1400 in...and thats on a vehicle with far less to go wrong, no turbos, etc.

It cost me $2400, and Id do it again and again and again.

I did not look at the RAV. The 2.5T carried the day.

yep...no one here knows how the turbo is going to fan out down the line, or the CDA hardware for that matter if you're in it for the long haul going for that 100k mile benchmark again....still new stuff, though I don't know I'd pay that much. It's a personal choice in the end and the only person it should matter to is you.

Last edited:
yep...no one here knows how the turbo is going to fan out down the line, or the CDA hardware for that matter if you're in it for the long haul going for that 100k mile benchmark again....still new stuff, though I don't know I'd pay that much. It's a personal choice in the end and the only person it should matter to is you.
Turbo been in the CX-9 for years hasn't it?

I've done it twice in the past - once with a Nissan Quest and again with a Corvette. If I had either pocketed the money or invested it in stocks, I would've been well ahead, even with the Corvette. Continuing to buy extended warranties is like winning once or twice in Las Vegas and expecting that in the end, you will end up with more money than when you started - the odds will beat you most of the time. It's statistics, plain and simple.

2001 Trans Am: A/C compressor failure at 112K miles, rear-end failure at 89K miles, wheel bearing and axle failure 2x at around 75 and 80K miles, water pump around 75K miles. All this work was done by friends and using non-OEM parts of sometimes dubious quality, re-using stuff, etc. so it saved me money as I was broke and in college, but I bet you can add that up at normal cost...
2002 G20: Transmission died at 110K miles. Repair by dealer estimate: $4400
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Water pump ($800), transmission leaking (twice, no clue the cost, but it took a week for them to fix it the first time, I sold it the second time), and so...oh so much more...
2011 Z06: Delivered with a cracked fender, $2200, covered by dealer. Kept it 4500 miles/1 year. Amazing vehicle. Too "young" to form opinions of its life span projection.
2012 370Z: Sold at 34K miles, lots of issues with the brakes, and the transmission would grind on the first shift in cold or rainy weather. Dunno how that would go by 150K miles...
2015 CX5: Rear diff went out at 3Xk miles, $2800 repair (water intrusion was the cause, but warranty covered it), and after warranty: Leaking timing gear cover, leaking valve cover gasket, failed fuel-pressure regulator (total $1400 + the timing gear cover, which...?? Probably another several hundred, easy...).

In literally EVERY experience I have with a vehicle over 100K miles, much less 150K miles, this warranty will pay for itself several times over. Not only that, but it amortizes this cost at 3.24% (in my case) over 74 months rather than surprising me maybe when things are thin for all I know, or I just overspent on a vacation, or whatever. It also includes rental, towing, etc. services.

You do what you want, but I can point to every vehicle I have owned and after 60K miles and before 150K miles, point to plenty of money wasted keeping it habitable and on the road.

How many vehicles have you had with over 100K miles for comparison? That's not a challenge, it's a sincere question.

Last edited:
Turbo been in the CX-9 for years hasn't it?

Yes, and my dealer has seen a grand total of zero with over 100K miles, 150K is totally uncharted territory.
The highest mileage CX9 on Autotrader anywhere in the USA (with the 2.5T in it) has only 90,527 miles. Another 60K miles is "from another planet" in difference, IMO

2001 Trans Am: A/C compressor failure at 112K miles, rear-end failure at 89K miles, wheel bearing and axle failure 2x at around 75 and 80K miles, water pump around 75K miles. All this work was done by friends and using non-OEM parts of sometimes dubious quality, re-using stuff, etc. so it saved me money as I was broke and in college, but I bet you can add that up at normal cost...
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Water pump ($800), transmission leaking (twice, no clue the cost, but it took a week for them to fix it the first time, I sold it the second time), and so...oh so much more...
2011 Z06: Delivered with a cracked fender, $2200, covered by dealer. Kept it 4500 miles/1 year. Amazing vehicle. Too "young" to form opinions of its life span projection.
2012 370Z: Sold at 34K miles, lots of issues with the brakes, and the transmission would grind on the first shift in cold or rainy weather. Dunno how that would go by 150K miles...
2015 CX5: Rear diff went out at 3Xk miles, $2800 repair (water intrusion was the cause, but warranty covered it), and after warranty: Leaking timing gear cover, leaking valve cover gasket, failed fuel-pressure regulator (total $1400 + the timing gear cover, which...?? Probably another several hundred, easy...).

In literally EVERY experience I have with a vehicle over 100K miles, much less 150K miles, this warranty will pay for itself several times over. Not only that, but it amortizes this cost at 3.24% (in my case) over 74 months rather than surprising me maybe when things are thin for all I know, or I just overspent on a vacation, or whatever. It also includes rental, towing, etc. services.

You do what you want, but I can point to every vehicle I have owned and after 60K miles and before 150K miles, point to plenty of money wasted keeping it habitable and on the road.

How many vehicles have you had with over 100K miles for comparison? That's not a challenge, it's a sincere question.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 300k miles

All the really costly repairs were towards the end of its life.

Also drove a 1997 Jeep Wranger, but wasn't mine so...That had 250k miles on it I think.

Edit: Honestly will be disappointed if I can't get 200k miles plus out of CX-5. And on that front I am talking major stuff like transmission. You and I probably have different thresholds for when cars go though. I don't like perpetual car payments.

Last edited:
If it wasn't a winner for the underwriters, they wouldn't offer them. Overall they're a big loser for most consumers unless they get "lucky" and have to use it.

I have a 100% "success rate" in requiring repairs totaling well over $2000 by 150K miles in every vehicle I've ever owned that long, and some of them much sooner.

Wait, we're talking about MAZDA reliability, not others. Did you read the article whose link I posted? You have a single Mazda data point. Really, that doesn't stack up against CR's 10,000 data points from Mazda owners.

Wait, we're talking about MAZDA reliability, not others. Did you read the article whose link I posted? You have a single Mazda data point. Really, that doesn't stack up against CR's 10,000 data points from Mazda owners.

My single Mazda datapoint is in line with most of the others I have. Further, not a single cx9 exists with 150k miles on it to benchmark, and turbos cost money...so do transmissions. So do diffs. CV joints. We have no idea what can or will go south on this model in 150k miles.

Look at the LED DRL failures.
Look at the cx5 owners who have replaced transmissions on this forum.

There are quite a few given the alleged bulletproofness CR gets in their thousands of samples.

I agree, its not likely to fail as a jeep is, but do you really think the turbo, transmission, diff, headlights, air compressor, fuel pump and fp regulator, injectors, etc. Are all going to go 150k miles? Any one of those by itself will nearly pay for, or exceed the warranty cost, at zero stress to me, and include a rental car or a tow.

Congrats. I really like the first gen's more but the 2nd gen front end is nice, rear is meh.

9200 @ 100+k is pretty good too. I got 9800 for my 2013 w/ 60k.

will you lower this one?

Sharp looking vehicle, that was the color of my first CX5, your wheels set it off. I have to admit, I didn't like the new looks but I think they're growing on me. The turbo is definitely a plus. I'll have to test drive one in a year or two.

Congrats. I really like the first gen's more but the 2nd gen front end is nice, rear is meh.

9200 @ 100+k is pretty good too. I got 9800 for my 2013 w/ 60k.

will you lower this one?

No, PPF and tint are it. I've long been a proponent of "buy what you want" when it comes to cars. If you want something the car will not do OEM, then find one that WILL do that thing.

Sharp looking vehicle, that was the color of my first CX5, your wheels set it off. I have to admit, I didn't like the new looks but I think they're growing on me. The turbo is definitely a plus. I'll have to test drive one in a year or two.

The Gen 2 would not have won me over if not for the turbo. The turbo is invisible, the car is just STRONGER. No lag. No noise (kinda sad about that sorta...). It just has mad torque and decent hp. Any speed. Any rpm. Just press the skinny pedal. After driving half way home, I knew t his vehicle would keep me entertained for at least the life of the loan, and went back to the dealer and got the 120mo/150K mile bumper to bumper to INSURE that it did.

52769436_10100152347407971_6343503569039130624_o.jpg

52774168_10100152347452881_25158913397620736_o.jpg

53061979_10100152347482821_1437158050799550464_o.jpg

Back