I dumped my CX-5 finally

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
...for another CX5. I know, I know, most of you didn't see that one coming, but let me explain...

As many of you are aware, my last CX5 stayed stock, right up until the very end when it got some Nightbreaker headlights.

Why? Because I didn't care about it other than to maintain it, honestly. It was a total "meh", basically serving as an appliance.

Over time, it grew on me as something I could trust. Then...it failed me. The fuel pressure regulator died. It was to be a $12-1400 repair that I wasn't going to sink into a car with a KBB trade-in of only a few thousand dollars. I didn't know this at the time I brought it in, and neither did the techs, they just knew "the fuel pressure sensor has an issue reported"...

So I leveraged all of my near sociopathic charm and managed to wrangle $9200 out of it + $1250 in rebates + purchasing a GT-R (the Mazda kind, not the cool kind) at invoice, and the dealer ate the repair bill for me, so really, I'd say I got $10K in trade-in (service said their cost on it would be nearly $800 to repair). I selected "Very Good" for the condition of the vehicle in this KBB evaluation...

2qu6kb4.jpg

So how did I pull this off? First of all, I have been using this dealership since I bought the car in mid 2015, and every time I go there, I try to talk to people about their passions. Their kids? Their college? Their dreams? Their cars? Buddy, we can chat it up! and I truly do find it interesting. They get to know you, and pretty soon all of your parts are internet price-matched and all of the labor is 10-20% off. So, when I came in all hang-dog over my dead Mazda (it had about 20 horsepower after 2000rpm, no lie, barely make it up and over an over-pass crossing the freeway...), and I saw the sales GM, I went over and asked how he was. He said "fine, you?" "Kinda betrayed, man, my Mazda betrayed me last night". Then I explained the above and told him it was in their shop, but that I was kindof jealous of the cars on his lot without a CEL on...

One thing you have to know about all car salesmen who last in the field is that they have a bit of a gambler in 'em. It's just how they're wired. Now, this dealer had offered me $9500 3 weeks ago for my car (killer deal then...), but I decided I'd just slog through owning the thing until I paid it off...because hey, why not? Well, then it broke and I was scared it was the HPFP (thanks, BMW 335i forum...). Anyway, I told him he didn't know what was wrong with my car, and neither did I, but I was willing to bet it needed a new engine if he was willing to bet a $25 sensor would fix it....This of course began...the game. He had the used car GM talk with the techs. Techs said "$7-1400...but we dunno..." I told him "Yeah, MY price...yours....?" He agreed I had a point, and said "Give you $9K for it. As it sits in my shop." I argued not a peep. Did tell him I had $200 in new belts, valve cover gasket, and tensioner pulley on the way though, and would have no use, could I get a we-owe for it if I brought it in? (all OEM Mazda). "grumble grumble....give you $9200 for the car". Deal!

Okay...so what do you want for yours? "Invoice" "What's invoice"? "about 2K less than sticker...plus your $1250 in rebates." "So $3500 under sticker, roughly?" "yup". Cool.

Well, we settled on a value for mine, and a value for his. The rest was simply up to finance. My bank loves me, and t hey g ave me 72mo@3.24%. Didn't even bother asking how much I made. Cool story.

Anyway, that is how I got into a CX5. Again. I was given at least. AT LEAST $3K more than my trade warranted, and I got their vehicle "right", too. They also threw in all-weather cargo mats for me, and I've been in their loaner car for the last 500 miles because we did this on the weekend, and the banks are kinda slow weekends and my ride is deadlined.

In short, it would have been stupid to walk away from this deal, financially speaking, even though yes, I was ugly upside down in my vehicle (owed $13,8XX) because of the (-)equity I carried over from my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

So...why another CX5? We all know I've been really "meh" on the thing since I got it.

Well, I needed a vehicle that had AWD. That was non-negotiable. I also needed a vehicle that I could get into with low miles for $35K or less, to fit my "comfort zone". The reason my CX5 fell out of favor with me was the loud ride (I came from a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee, last), and the lack of power. It is the second slowest vehicle I have ever owned. Where I liked it was the fact that I had 106K miles on it, and it looked new inside and out. T he only failures it had that were not my fault were a fog light, and now the FP regulator. Not shabby!

My choices boiled down to:

WRX
Used Audi or Benz
Macan
Forester 2.0XT
Ford Edge Sport (used)

I chose the CX5 GT-R because of cost of maintenance (tires are $170 a piece! You price good 275/45/19's?! or something like on the GLA45 AMG? Yeah...) The performance is very adequate, in fact, being a ringer for the WRX (keep in mind that the below are test numbers, achieved by drivers launching the car who are not responsible for breaking it...on the street in the real world, most people don't do 4500rpm clutch drops or whatever...).

raq5jb.jpg

I have a friend with a WRX manual, and think it's plenty fast to keep me entertained. The 7.5" ground clearance out here is excellent. Also, the black polymer cladding all around the base of the car is a great thing for living on a gravel road! The interior of the CX5 higher trim levels honestly blew me away for the money. It really struck a note with me. My only legit complaint is...man...where's the remote start that my 2010 Jeep had? Seriously?

Complaints from my 2015 Touring AWD:

-Seriously? Has NAV screen and no NAV? Screw you.
-No remote start? This is 2015...
-This is slow. Good for its class, but meh.
-This is an SUV. It's as loud as some of my sports cars.
-Why can I not come CLOSE to the 30mpg advertised on road trips?

The 2019 GT-R addresses all but 1 of these (remote start), and remains to be seen what mpg I achieve.

Long and short of it, the GT-R is more lux than anything I've ever before owned, and the performance is good enough to keep me entertained, while the AWD and ground clearance and dog-storage ability is enough to fit my lifestyle.

yesterday the dealer took it to get the side windows tinted to match the rear, and the windshield tinted (80/20) all in Pinnacle F1 ceramic, to keep the heat out in a few months. I hope to pick it up in a few hours, and early next week it's off to be wrapped.

Last edited:
Bloody hell Unob, you know how to drop a bombshell! Well done, I knew there was a Mazda fan in there somewhere. I suspect you*ll take to the new model, it really is quite nice. No doubt you*ll give us regular feedback on it.

Congratulations.

That's a good post. Great insights on the importance of building relationships, even with car dealers. It looks like we share similar vehicular tastes. That GTR really is a no-brainer for a daily driver.

This is too funny. Never would have seen this coming in a million years. Get that front end coated with PPF.

Congrats! Youre a Mazda guy now. [emoji23]

Its more sophisticated than the previous isnt it?

I added remote start to my cx-5, I'm sure you could add it to your new one.

LOVE the comprehensive story ... well reasoned and well written.

I*ve had many Mazdas since 1974; including 2013, 2014, and 2017 CX-5s along with the current 2019 Signature CX-5.

Though many bemoan the upscale move that Mazda is making, I find that the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) improvements along with better interior materials and a luxury feel have come with little effect on driving engagement.
Compared to other appliances in their price range, in my opinion and that of most automotive journalists; Mazdas are far more enjoyable to drive.

I*ve owned the Signature for nearly 2 months and marvel at its performance and sophistication for the price every time I get behind the wheel.
I think of it as a stealth luxury vehicle.
The only issue is my heavy foot and the resulting 19 to 22 MPG I achieve as a result.

Congratulations on a fantastic deal and enjoy your new ride.

Last edited:
Figured you would go with something larger.
5s have actually gotten smaller since 2015.
Really enjoying our new Santa Fe, especially the roomy interior and ventilated seats.
The 5 year 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty is also a big plus.

This is too funny. Never would have seen this coming in a million years. Get that front end coated with PPF.

+1, something I'm gonna consider regularly when buying a new car

First, congratulations on your Reserve Uno! And thank you for a well thought out post. Secondly, I am now mad at you since I want to trade in my 2017 for a Reserve now too. :) (I'm so on the fence right now but that is a discussion for another time)

Thanks, all!

Scheduled for Monday with the local lambo guy.

First, congratulations on your Reserve Uno! And thank you for a well thought out post. Secondly, I am now mad at you since I want to trade in my 2017 for a Reserve now too. :) (I'm so on the fence right now but that is a discussion for another time)

If you can afford it, I think its a thing. I honestly would not have bought a cx5 other than gtr or sig. Id go rav4 due to wireless charging and...toyota. The engine makes the gtr or sig the better buy. My .02

Figured you would go with something larger.
5s have actually gotten smaller since 2015.
Really enjoying our new Santa Fe, especially the roomy interior and ventilated seats.
The 5 year 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty is also a big plus.

The only time my cx5 was too small was laying prone in the back of it shooting my m4 out of the open hatchback (if you do this...run quiet. Brakes and FH have wayyyy too much concussion. Use a can! *pro tips, yo!) That was cramped and sucked. I imagine this will be worsex as you note it is shorter. That is 0.1% of my consideration though, lol!

That's a good post. Great insights on the importance of building relationships, even with car dealers. It looks like we share similar vehicular tastes. That GTR really is a no-brainer for a daily driver.

Car dealers are people, too, and the ones in my area are good people. Ive seen some of their employees in the ER, dealt with them at the dealership, etc.. they're people just like the rest of us, and they service my car. Relationships are huge in life. Huge.

Last edited:
Bloody hell Unob, you know how to drop a bombshell! Well done, I knew there was a Mazda fan in there somewhere. I suspect you*ll take to the new model, it really is quite nice. No doubt you*ll give us regular feedback on it.

Congratulations.

Thanks! My motto in life has always been that when action is truly required, use a nuke, because the shadows left on the walls rarely protest.

Congrats on the purchase. Where are you at where your rebates are $1,250? In Chicago you can get $2,250 right now, but $500 is the Auto Show bonus.

I'm also kind of shocked at the value of a 2015 CX-5. We got KBB's value on my wife's old 2010 CR-V, which was $9,500 when we bought our Signature. It was pretty beat-up, too.

Congrats!

I wont deny the Gen 2 looks have grown on me over time. And the interior is far superior to gen 1.

Re rebates; Id guess he got a $500 rebate and $750 owner loyalty.

So.. what color did you get Uno?

Congrats on the purchase. Where are you at where your rebates are $1,250? In Chicago you can get $2,250 right now, but $500 is the Auto Show bonus.

I'm also kind of shocked at the value of a 2015 CX-5. We got KBB's value on my wife's old 2010 CR-V, which was $9,500 when we bought our Signature. It was pretty beat-up, too.

I have been saying cx5 doesnt hold value...now people believe me?

I bought in Northwest Arkansas. I got the 500 and 750 as mentioned above. Got the black interior Machine Grey exterior. It reminded me of my 370z.

I bought in Northwest Arkansas. I got the 500 and 750 as mentioned above. Got the black interior Machine Grey exterior. It reminded me of my 370z.

Strange that they don't offer the Customer Cash rebate in your area. Maybe they are just selling that good there.

If our purchase wasn't for my wife, I probably would have gone for Machine Gray Metallic. Nice choice!

Back