Advice

bflorio86

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
New owner of an 18 cx5 Touring and have around 600 miles now. Since around 300 miles, my cx5 developed
A creak/rattle sound on the passenger side dash near the door vent( at least thats where I think its coming from).
After a chat and listening to it with the service manager at my local dealership, they agreed to apply some felt/foam to the dash to attempt a fix. The next day, I picked it up and the service manager said he felt confident that the noises would be gone but said to let him know if its not and theyd attempt another repair.

Well unfortunately the sounds from the dash are still present, if you were me would you ask the dealer to try again? This creak/rattle sound doesnt occur over smooth pavement but occurs when I drive over pot holes, railroad tracks, or any large road imperfections. It does bug me but Im torn, I dont necessarily want the dealer to keep disassembling the dash and potentially cause more issues.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, this is my second Mazda, as I had had a 3 hatchback which was noise free and solid; I guess I was hoping for the same experience with the cx5.

I think I would wait until you get a couple of thousand miles on the car and make a list of that noise and any other issues that may crop up. Then to the dealer for the first oil change and give them your issues. Ed

Sounds like they have to pinpoint where the sound is coming from via a test drive. I'd come back and ask a tech to sit in passenger side while you hit some bumps.

That said is the sound different from before? Both our Mazdas are rattle free in terms of consistent noises from single point locations. A single point rattle would drive me nuts!!

Actually I already drove with a tech, we were able hear a little noise but it*s hard to reproduce at times. It*s been real cold where I*m at and the noises I*m hearing seem to be worse in the cold and far less noticeable when the cabin warms up.

I think it may be coming from the passenger side window vibrating/rattling. I have it on the my driver side. Think also have it on my passenger side as well. Dealership have gone through applying foam inside the dash and under the cowl etc. Just recently noticed that that the side window is vibrating and pretty sure that is generating the rattle effect. Very audible on road surface that is less than smooth. Haven't had a chance to visit the dealer since I found out.

Open the window about half inch, then open the passenger door and pull it close. You may hear loud rattle from the window. Also if you drive with window half inch down. Window vibrates also if it is fully closed.

Recently I have found these pages discussing window rattle (3 and 6 as well)

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123821772-Window-Rattle
https://mazda.oemdtc.com/260/rattle-noise-from-the-front-door-glass-2013-2016-mazda
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...le-coming-from-front-passenger-door-2017-CX-5
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861673-Window-Rattle-2016-5-cx5

Hmm I appreciate the information although I*m not so sure. I haven*t had any of the windows down at all yet do to the cold...unless this window rattle can be reproduced with closed windows.

those can be annoying....have you checked rearview mirror for play?
just hold it with hand and try to move up and down. It was that in my case. not saying this is your case but worth checking

Wheel lock rattling in the glove compartment?

Ho boy, sounds like you might have the same issue as me? Check out this thread:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123866635-Noises-and-squeaks

Long story short, I have a creak when I accelerate in cold, dry weather. I ended up letting the dealer rip apart the dash, car door, steering column, instrument panel...pretty much everything down to the frame. Turns out it was the driver's chair. Had a Mazda tech come out and "re-torque" the screws. Noise was gone for about 8 hours then came back. Going back tomorrow for them to try and fix it again.

My concerns are the same as yours - more creaks and rattles from taking apart and reassembling. But the good news is that these pieces are made to come off and (at least mine) dealership seems to know what they are doing. When I got my car back it was mostly the same. There is one creak when I put weight on the center column - but the service manager said he'll correct that for me as well.

Good luck OP and don't be shy to get it fixed!

my advice --give it some time and it may go away. I've had several new cars and many had creaks new that resolved after a few 1000 miles. (but I must say our 2018 cx5 has been creak free since new). Also, dealers rarely cure these issues so don't waste your time

It does vibrate when fully closed but when open half inch it is very audible/prominent.

Hmm I appreciate the information although I*m not so sure. I haven*t had any of the windows down at all yet do to the cold...unless this window rattle can be reproduced with closed windows.

A crazy thought but I heard a rattle from what I thought was passenger side and it turned out to be my sunglasses rattling around in the overhead holder.

A crazy thought but I heard a rattle from what I thought was passenger side and it turned out to be my sunglasses rattling around in the overhead holder.

Yes, I had the same issue with my sunglasses rattling in the overhead. I just reversed the way I put the sunglasses in the holder problem solved.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Yes, I had the same issue with my sunglasses rattling in the overhead. I just reversed the way I put the sunglasses in the holder problem solved.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

One CX-5 dislike I could think of for people whom use large designer sunglasses is the holder is rather too small to fit and not felt lined. My Raybans fit perfect though with no rattle.

One CX-5 dislike I could think of for people whom use large designer sunglasses is the holder is rather too small to fit and not felt lined. My Raybans fit perfect though with no rattle.

I just use Rudy Project shooting glasses. They are not large at all. They don't fit.

Back