So what are you guys paying for excise tax on your CX-9?

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
In many states, we get a yearly excise tax bill based on a valuation on our cars. In MA, our system is very top loaded on new cars and drop off significantly each year. I imagine this is the case in other states. Trust me, if you're in a state without excise tax, consider yourself very lucky. Last year I was completely shocked when I received my first excise bill for the CX-9. It's the first really expensive car I ever bought so I had no idea that the state would fleece people like this. Before this, I never owned a car worth more than $15K. The CX-9 is a $44K vehicle. It was just under $1000 excise! Keep in mind, this is right after paying nearly $3,000 to the state in sales tax. Talk about a system that says "don't you dare support the economy and buy a new car that is also better for the environment than your old clunker"! Just got the 2nd year bill and it's almost $700.

It's government crap like this that is a disincentive to buy new when on the other hand the government would prefer you buy new for the economy. I know they think another $1,000 bill is no problem for the guy that just bought a $44K vehicle, but really it is a big chunk of extra money to come up with and it's due 30 days after issue.

I think I heard it's bad in California and some other states. So what have you guys had to pay?

Neither such tax exists in Montana. Annual registration on a 50k vehicle starts around $280 and drops every year based on depreciation. Once a car hits 10 years of age you never pay again and the plate becomes permanent. No sales tax is a real luxury especially on big ticket items.

I spent 25 years in LA with a lot of high end cars and annual registration was about double that and there was no separate tax. That was 8 years ago and I'm sure it's gone way up. That's the problem with our great american cities where the population is abundant. You pay a lot of extra freight to live in or near them.

^ Keep in mind the excise tax is separate from the registration. We pay another registration bill every 2 years. Oh, then there's state inspection every year.

PA has no such tax, they simply add about sixty cents per gallon in gas tax every time you fill up for the rest of your life...

Or until they increase it further.

Back in the 80s I lived in Rhode Island and they had the personal property tax on cars. I bought a brand new Dodge Ramcharger for about $18,000 and it cost me$500 annually; that sort of makes a $1,000 today on $40+k seem like a good deal ;-) I did however get really pissed off when I got hit by an uninsured driver and realized according to state laws at the time I was SOL!

Wow. Being in (Ontario) Canada, this is the first I've heard about this annual excise tax on cars. That's brutal.
In Ontario, we pay sales tax upon purchase of the vehicle, and then a yearly license renewal fee (last I remember, it's $120/year). That's it.
We also had a drive clean program where every car older than five years had to have an emission test every two years. The test was free however.
The new Ontario Government elected last year has cancelled the drive clean program, effective April 1, so that's one less thing for us to worry about.
We also don't have to do any safety inspections while we own the vehicle.
It only has to pass a safety check when it's being sold.
I've owned a Nissan Pathfinder for 16 years, and it has never been inspected or safety checked. Not necessary. I just renew the plate sticker every year and keep on driving it.

Wow. Being in (Ontario) Canada, this is the first I've heard about this annual excise tax on cars. That's brutal.
In Ontario, we pay sales tax upon purchase of the vehicle, and then a yearly license renewal fee (last I remember, it's $120/year). That's it.
We also had a drive clean program where every car older than five years had to have an emission test every two years. The test was free however.
The new Ontario Government elected last year has cancelled the drive clean program, effective April 1, so that's one less thing for us to worry about.
We also don't have to do any safety inspections while we own the vehicle.
It only has to pass a safety check when it's being sold.
I've owned a Nissan Pathfinder for 16 years, and it has never been inspected or safety checked. Not necessary. I just renew the plate sticker every year and keep on driving it.

What rate is the initial sales tax? I know a lot of countries have ridiculous sales taxes and other taxes on cars that greatly increase the price of cars compared to the NA.

Interesting that you guys have no required safety inspections while you own the car. Do you notice a lot of cars with lights that are out and such things? Loud broken mufflers? I would say bald tires but with Canada's weather, I imagine most people keep good tires.

What rate is the initial sales tax? I know a lot of countries have ridiculous sales taxes and other taxes on cars that greatly increase the price of cars compared to the NA.

Interesting that you guys have no required safety inspections while you own the car. Do you notice a lot of cars with lights that are out and such things? Loud broken mufflers? I would say bald tires but with Canada's weather, I imagine most people keep good tires.

So in all Canadian provinces, there are two taxes on almost all consumer goods: a provincial sales tax, and a government sales tax. The government sales tax is 5% for all provinces, but the provincial tax varies. In Ontario (and Manitoba, where I live now), the provincial tax is 8%, which makes the tax a total of 13%.

I was living in Calgary when I bought my CX-9, so I only paid 5% tax on my CX-9 (mj)

Also, I'm not sure about other provinces, but some cities have police-enforced "Vehicle Inspection Units". They're basically mobile inspection crews that take over a parking lot, while uniformed officers pick cars out and direct them into the lot for a surprise vehicle safety inspection. This drew some media attention from local news because they were mostly targeting "enthusiast" vehicles, but they also caught vehicles with rusted out mufflers, burnt out taillight and headlight bulbs, and blown dampers. I'm not sure if the VIU is still around, but since then I've noticed a decrease in poorly kept vehicles. Personally I wouldn't mind a regular safety/emissions test, but doing it annually seems like a cash grab. I'd be on board with something done every 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
In Ontario the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) is 13%.
It's a combined tax of the federal GST (Goods and Services Tax of 5%) with the provincial sales tax (PST) of 8%.
The GST portion is fixed across Canada, but the PST varies from province to province.
We pay the HST on all goods and services, not just cars. There are exemptions, like groceries for example.
It can be painful. 13% tax on a $40,000 car adds up.

As for no inspections on cars, it's not really a problem, as most cars don't last that long up here.
I don't see a lot of cars with lights out or blown mufflers. Police still have the authority to pull over a car that looks suspect. They will stop you for no headlights, etc.
Come up for a visit to my city (Ottawa), and you'll see what I mean. No old classics around here. They're all rotting in the junkyard...lol.
This doesn't mean there aren't older cars, but they are either summer queens (stored in the winter), or winter beaters.
The winter beaters can be bad, but they usually don't last long.
You don't want your car breaking down in the middle of winter around here.
That can be a world of hurt if you're out there somewhere with a breakdown, and it's 20 below.
You can't afford to drive an unreliable vehicle in the winter here. Too risky.

Hope that all makes sense.
Cheers.

Yep JPL - I just paid my excise over the weekend. My 2016 was valued at something around $10k (thankfully?) so I had to pay about $275.

I'm also in MA and just paid my Excise Tax.... it was $600 and my registration was $90.

So we both have '18 CX-9's. Mine is $675. There shouldn't be much evaluation difference between GT and Signature. Interesting.

I pay $0 in "personal property" tax in TN.
Only a $9 yearly emission test (Which has been voted unecessary by state legislators and is going away) and a "Wheel Tax" of $50 a year, nothing else.
We have no state income tax either.

I pay $0 in "personal property" tax in TN.
Only a $9 yearly emission test (Which has been voted unecessary by state legislators and is going away) and a "Wheel Tax" of $50 a year, nothing else.
We have no state income tax either.

Our annual inspection is $35, just another tax as the service station doing the test only get a piece of that.

That is brutal. In Wisconsin, I only pay $75 every year when I renew the registration. Some counties also have a $50 wheel tax. The emission test is no more than checking if you have an engine code stored in the system, but even that is free.

Our annual inspection is $35, just another tax as the service station doing the test only get a piece of that.

The lawmakers here realized that emmision testing new and late model cars (which are already crammed full of federal gov't pollution controls) is a waste of time.

Also, how much fuel is wasted when thousands of cars are waiting in those long lines, how many job hours lost?

Vehicles 25 years and older are exempt! Yes, the ones that could maybe use the testing. 😊

Yes, the original clean air inspections were more "Feel Good" legislation because, "We've GOT to do SOMETHING!!"

😆

Last edited:
Back