CEL and power loss

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Ill get it scanned in the AM, but...

10 minutes after getting gas, CEL came on solid. I pulled over, stopped, shut off ignition, and retightened the cap. I then got in, cranked the vehicle, and it "stumbled" to life. The idle was steady and normal after. The CEL remained on and solid. I pulled back onto the road, and accelerated. Under 2000rpm it felt fairly normal. It was barely able to go up hills though and had no power over 2000rpm. The "instant mpg" read normal at 50 mph, however, at around 40ish.

Made it to work.

Obviously noone has a magic crystal, but I'm open to guesses.

Let us know what happened to it. For all we can guess maybe that gas station had some water in its gas. Or maybe the cylinders are misfiring or spark plugs worn out. Just don't know.

Let us know what happened to it. For all we can guess maybe that gas station had some water in its gas. Or maybe the cylinders are misfiring or spark plugs worn out. Just don't know.

I believe ignition issues are blinking CEL, unless Mazda does differently? Im truly at a loss on this one.

make sure to scan it with a good tool and you get some extra info like this below. once the code and data is known we can try figure it out.

20190209-171656-2.jpg

All you need is a $5 obd2 (tbh surprised you don't have it) and reference the code in the manual. P0014 is the money in that screen. Most of that other info is very extraneous as presented.

All you need is a $5 obd2 (tbh surprised you don't have it) and reference the code in the manual. P0014 is the money in that screen. Most of that other info is very extraneous as presented.

Yeah, I should. That said, I'll just swing by the dealer for now. Im just feeling so betrayed :(

10 minutes after getting gas, CEL came on solid. I pulled over, stopped, shut off ignition, and retightened the cap. I then got in, cranked the vehicle, and it "stumbled" to life. The idle was steady and normal after. The CEL remained on and solid. I pulled back onto the road, and accelerated. Under 2000rpm it felt fairly normal. It was barely able to go up hills though and had no power over 2000rpm. The "instant mpg" read normal at 50 mph, however, at around 40ish.

Made it to work.

My guess is the problem is some engine speed sensor related. The sensor may have intermittent issues. My second guess, but much less likely, is you got some bad gas from the gas station. Some how the bad gas has clogged the fuel filter which is restricting the gas flow.

You just had new OEM spark plugs installed, and the engine seems running fine under 2,000 rpm. These should eliminate the possibility of bad spark plug or bad ignition coil. Basically the problem shouldn't be ignition related.

Of course the real culprit can only be known after you've got the code read.

Made it to work.

First guess is gas cap
second guess is fuel overflow into vapor canister
third guess is bad gas or incorrect blend at station

That does seem suspicious about the fuel. We had an incident in area a few years back where diesel got put in the wrong tank at gas station.

IIRC..it took about dozen gasoline fueled cars before it was caught.

That does seem suspicious about the fuel. We had an incident in area a few years back where diesel got put in the wrong tank at gas station.

IIRC..it took about dozen gasoline fueled cars before it was caught.

I thought so, but bad fuel should cause a bad idle. It cranked "poorly": and shuddered to death before I left work. I cranked it again and drove to the dealer. They pulled codes and knew everything about t he vehicle when the CEL was set, right down to my mph speed.

They also said the engine coolant was 50*F (they may have misread and it was 50*C, but that's only 122*F, and that's still absurd).

I had been driving for 20 minutes!

Something just ain't right, and they estimated $700-1200, fuel pump, or rail sensor, or god knows what.

My response was predictable.

Thus ends my test of the CX5 AWD 2015 Touring.

From MF orbit.

Last edited:
Well if it's fuel related, wouldn't the gas station be on the hook for that one?

ShopkeyPro gives different code definition, Hydraulic variable valve timing control system: over-advanced. Too bad they did not read pending codes, this would help a lot.
I'd pull the engine cover and check oil control valve at the back, passenger side, on top of engine. If it is leaking or the connector is loose, I'd start from there. It could have been knocked off while replacing plugs.
By the way, what oil is in there?

Last edited:
ShopkeyPro gives different code definition, Hydraulic variable valve timing control system: over-advanced. Too bad they did not read pending codes, this would help a lot.
I'd pull the engine cover and check oil control valve at the back, passenger side, on top of engine. If it is leaking or the connector is loose, I'd start from there. It could have been knocked off while replacing plugs.
By the way, what oil is in there?
PP 0-20 dexos 1 gen 2 cert

Doesn't it have a 5 year powertrain warranty? What did you mean by "Thus ends my test of the CX5 AWD 2015 Touring"?

Doesn't it have a 5 year powertrain warranty? What did you mean by "Thus ends my test of the CX5 AWD 2015 Touring"?

5 year warranty, yeah, but I dont just look at it. I had 106k miles on it.

I bought it to evaluate the cx5 before investing in another Mazda...or not. I traded it in. Got $9200 for it. KBB was 7500.

5 year warranty, yeah, but I dont just look at it. I had 106k miles on it.

I bought it to evaluate the cx5 before investing in another Mazda...or not. I traded it in. Got $9200 for it. KBB was 7500.
Wait...so CX-5 is gone?

Back