Swirl marks on new CX5

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Picked up a new machine grey CX5 a couple of weeks ago from the dealership.

I didn't really think about much as they prepped and washed the car while I signed all the paperwork.

It was sitting in my garage and hadn't been driven ever since I brought it back. I commute by public transport everyday and use my other car so I didn't have a chance to really drive it.

A few days ago I took it out of the garage and noticed swirl marks on the hood and a few other places. I can't feel it with my fingernails but I can see it under bright light.

I'm thinking the dealership left these swirl marks as they washed and prepped the car.

I didn't touch the hood or anything since I bought it.

I'm wondering how common is this and what if any recourses I have?

I've learned my lesson now about letting dealers "prep" your new car.

Anyone have the same issue?

Same issue here. I complained about it in the online survey. They shouldnt let people who dont know anything about paint wash a brand new vehicle with an MSRP of 35k.

What made it even worse for my car is that I got it during winter and there was salt/dried brine on it.

Looks like they washed it with a dirty sponge. Probably used the same sponge on the wheels and paint. Ridiculous.

The gloss black between the front and rear windows looks terrible.

This is very common and the reason you should never take it to the dealer for free car washes. You should post a note inside your vehicle to "not wash" when you take it in for service, too.

dealers probably get paid a fee for the wash beause I see ot on the mazda official mymazda report as addditional item.

You have to ask them not to every time you go, otherwise in most cases you get a cheap wash which most of the time gets you swirl marks and even scratches.

I had the same problem on my machine grey 6 when I took possession in November of 2017.
I didn't notice it right away as winter was just setting in at the time.
It only showed itself when I drove to Florida a few months later.

This is very common and the reason you should never take it to the dealer for free car washes. You should post a note inside your vehicle to "not wash" when you take it in for service, too.

This. My old car went to the free car wash and came back with a missing hub that I didn't notice right away. When I bought my CX-5 the salesman said it was in prep before I could stop him from having it go through the free car destroyer I mean car wash. I didn't find any damage though. Light swirl marks are easy to get out but NEVER go through the free car wash at the dealers. I won't go through an automatic wash either, and those guys waiting to rub those dirty towels on your car that the end... ugh.

Almost all new cars have swirl marks. A good place should do a paint correction and wax for about $300-$400.

Almost all new cars have swirl marks. A good place should do a paint correction and wax for about $300-$400.

Yep. My recommendation for a relatively new car:

1. Get paint correction
2. Add paint protection film to the front
3. Get ceramic coating

There are detailing places that should be able to do it all.

My dad's CX-5 didn't have any swirl marks on it when he got it, but there were several other cars on the lot, bit new and used that had some dealer installed swirl marks. There was a black Mazda 3 that I remember being really bad, someone had obviously used a machine polisher on it and didn't know what they were doing.

Purchased my Black Signature up on Nov 30th. There was snow and slush on the ground when we test drove it. Dealer cleaned it:( The next morning the sun was hitting at the right angle and can see all the swirl marks. Called the dealer and he got the car in with a detailer. All good after that.

- Never have a dealer clean your car!
- Never run you car through a car wash...touch or touchless!
- Hand wash with a quality car shampoo using the 2 bucket method and micro fiber mitt. Dry with a blower and micro fiber towel using a wax as you dry product.
- Better yet use a foam cannon to allow the soap to soak in and loosen the dirt and grime. If it really dirty (mud and such) use the foam cannon, let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse to get off the tough dirt and then reapply soap with the foam cannon and wash using the 2 bucket method above.

It's work to properly clean a car. You could also get the car ceramic coated...worth it but expensive. Or just buy a light color car and the swirls won't bother you because its hard to see them.

Most dealers today take the cars to a nearby car wash instead of hiring someone to do it. Either way its a mess. As already mentioned, decline the wash.

Most dealers today take the cars to a nearby car wash instead of hiring someone to do it. Either way it*s a mess. As already mentioned, decline the wash.

Not around here. All of them have their own wash facilities on their premises. They call it a perk of ownership, where you can take your car purchased there in for a free wash, or free swirls, whenever you want. They do close them during certain weather days, though.

This is sadly pretty common. Mine was covered from bumper to bumper in swirl marks too. It didn't even end there, the headlights and taillights are covered in scratches too, and the plastic B and C pillar panels on the doors were ruined.

Many dealerships pay an outside agent to come and wash the cars once a week. These are gig jobs that pay poorly so it's just a dirty sponge and a dirty bucket of water. It takes a toll week after week so the longer the vehicle was on the lot the worse it gets. Mine had been there a while so my paint was bad. Worse still my particular dealership used to go out and wipe snow off the cars with a broom. I had to really push before somebody gave me that amazing confession. That bit blew my mind a little.

They never made it right either. Even after "reconditioning" the paint the damage in the clearcoat was too deep and wouldn't come out so I just chalked up another loss and another lesson learned and let it go.

Back