Signature vs Grand Touring Reserve / Incentives

Right! My car friends would never stop ragging on me if I told them we had a "GT-R"

If tell them I have a "Signature" and they'll think it's and old persons car...LOL

"Bruh? You gotz a GTR?!"

"AWD and tubo, brony!"

"Wur is it?"

"NVM, can't come ovr today :/ "

Right! My car friends would never stop ragging on me if I told them we had a "GT-R"

If tell them I have a "Signature" and they'll think it's and old persons car...LOL

It does sound like an old person car. Maybe explains my aversion to it.

"Bruh? You gotz a GTR?!"

"AWD and tubo, brony!"

"Wur is it?"

"NVM, can't come ovr today :/ "

Gotta admit, sounds about right LOL.

Good question. (dunno) I'm at a loss to say for sure without comparing side-by-side.

But forgot to include "Signature badge" in list. (yes)

I got curious tonight and compared some hi-res images. The best I can tell there are 3 pieces of flair:

1. Sig has a chrome ring on the steering wheel hub
2. Sig has brushed silver seat adjustment buttons
3. Sig has a chrome or silver strip on the glove box latch

Meh.

I got curious tonight and compared some hi-res images. The best I can tell there are 3 pieces of flair:

1. Sig has a chrome ring on the steering wheel hub
2. Sig has brushed silver seat adjustment buttons
3. Sig has a chrome or silver strip on the glove box latch

Meh.

Not sure if lower trims have it or not, but the Sig also has silver accents on window up/down buttons.

Having just leased a Signature, you know my preference lol. The black headliner may not be for everyone but for me it*s far more distinctive than the light GT-R. Just look at the Bose ring on the A pillar. The brown leather is so dark it almost looks black...I like that far more than the other Mazda browns. Also I think the wheels, whether you like the design or not, are classier in Signature dark gunmetal than bright silver on the GT-R.

IMO, the extra $2-3K for the CX-5 Signature is definitely worth it:
  • Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats
  • Genuine layered wood trim
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
  • Interior LED lighting
  • Ambient cabin lighting, front and rear footwells, vanity mirror, glove box, cargo area
  • Black headliner
  • Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink
  • Interior trim with Bright Silver finish
  • 19-inch alloy wheels with Dark Silver finish
  • 360-degree View Monitor
  • Front and rear parking sensors

Yeah, for some it's worth it. For me, the brown in the CX-5 looks too close to the black in the GT Reserve. It definitely feels nicer though. The wood trim is too sparse and doesn't provide enough contrast. Frameless mirror is just that, frameless. The standouts for me are the ambient lighting, the sensors, the feel of the seats, and the 360 cam. Those things I'd pay $1-1.5k for at most. It's not that far off from $2-3k, but that $1.5k is enough to give me pause.

Brown leather and wood trim. Christ almighty.

We get it already lol. You post (sometimes multipost) this exact sentiment in almost every thread that mentions the Signature trim. You'd think brown leather and wood trim stole your lollipops and knocked over your sippy cup or something, lol.

That's just because everyone is referring to it as "GTR". The proper trim level name is GT Reserve. No issues/confusion if we were to refer to it as a GT Reserve.

We get it already lol. You post (sometimes multipost) this exact sentiment in almost every thread that mentions the Signature trim. You'd think brown leather and wood trim stole your lollipops and knocked over your sippy cup or something, lol.

Considering we made fun out of the s*** of the CR-V for wood trim, valid point is valid.

I'll grant it's different, but seeing as the list posted above had brown leather and wood trim as the top 2 bullet points of Signature features, lol.

Considering we made fun out of the s*** of the CR-V for wood trim, valid point is valid.

I'll grant it's different, but seeing as the list posted above had brown leather and wood trim as the top 2 bullet points of Signature features, lol.

Same. I will take delivery tomorrow, and Im still not bragging about the fake wood, although I would point out that I never had an issue with Honda using it either.

Well, the CR-V has "fake" wood trim. Unlike the Signature CX-5. To each their own, though, That's one reason why Lexus makes an F Sport version of their models. If you don't like real wood, get the F Sport.

Ah I must have missed that part when you guys made fun of the interior trim on the CR-V. I don't think CX-5 Siggy posted that list in descending order of importance, but who knows, maybe he did.

I*m not a wood accent guy either. But the Abachi wood in the Signature is so light and fine-grained it looks like a stylized accent piece. It*s not anything like burled walnut (fake or real) on your rich Uncle*s Cadillac. Also the *brown* leather is so dark it just makes a small but nice contrast with the prevailing black, especially with the black headliner. And the nappa is a really nice upgrade from the regular leather. The seats are more comfortable.

Ah I must have missed that part when you guys made fun of the interior trim on the CR-V. I don't think CX-5 Siggy posted that list in descending order of importance, but who knows, maybe he did.

I did not. I merely copied the list from the official Mazda CX-5 Signature spec sheet.

Well, the CR-V has "fake" wood trim. Unlike the Signature CX-5. To each their own, though, That's one reason why Lexus makes an F Sport version of their models. If you don't like real wood, get the F Sport.

Fake...real... It's all wood trim.

But as I said, I will admit the Sig trim is different and less offensive.

Well, I did, so yes! :)

I think the people who are complaining about the brown Nappa leather have not seen it in person. It really looks, and feels, better than it sounds. I have black semi-aniline in my Lexus. The Nappa in the Sig is on par with that.

Leather dye is either aniline or not aniline. That said by a leather craftsman who bought various hides. Most vehicles other than very high end have top coated leathers which also vary in quality. The easiest way to tell is to take a look/see at the back of the material not the outside.
I am a lifelong wood worker (serious level and a wood freak!) and while its is real wood I cannot say that the wood was anything really exciting for me. The brown IMO doesn't go well with certain exterior colors and I'm OK with the what I'll call "decent leather" found on the GTR. In the older CX-5's one could buy a cloth level car and an aftermarket leather seat cover kit to seriously upgrade the leather and get the exact color one prefers. Now we must pay for top two trim level leather to get the zoom factor so money wasted to change leather. I also dislike the brown leather panel on an otherwise black door trim-but that's personal opinion obviously.

Last edited:
I would describe the Sig lthr as semi-aniline and the GTR as pigmented. The quality of the hide is the real kicker and kind of hard to know in a car until it's too late in the case of the bad ones. If the use is repeated city trips or very heavy driver/rider then the equation gets harder to solve.

Latest posts

Back