Getting extended warranty after 3 years- any good options?

:
CX-9 AWD GT Titanium/Sand
Hello,
I'm buying a CX-9, picking up next week. The dealer offered me 8-year bumper-to-bumper for $3K, and comprehensive wheel/dents coverage for 7 years for $1.5K.

Obviously these are great things to have, but based on experience and the environment my wife and I use our cars, wheel/dents coverage may be an overkill.

8-yr B2B is always a great thing, especially with so much electronics that can go haywire, but it's additional $3K upfront.

Does anyone know if there are other options out there? For example, can I purchase some B2B coverage after 3 yrs when the comprehensive Mazda warranty expires? Or are there any other better/less expensive options?
Historically, I never purchased any extended warranties, and in some 30 years never had to regret it yet. But then again, I never owned Mazda before... it's a first one :)

Thanks!

I consider myself to be a very risk-averse person and I've yet to buy an extended warranty on any vehicle I've had.

If you were getting a high-performance and/or luxury-type vehicle, it may be worth considering. However, it's not likely you'll need it for a Mazda and even if it did come in handy, you'd need it to cover at least $3k of repairs sometime during that time frame after the factory B2B warranty expires for it to be worth it.

You must be certain your going to keep it for that long to even consider it. I have bought extended warranties in the past and always seem to out grow the car in less time. You get 3 years from the factory ( I do wish it were at least 4 like others) so you are really buying 5 years extra. Price on those is always negotiable but 3k for 5 years might be a decent price. If your really going to keep this car a long time and put big miles on it than it might be worth it to you for piece of mind alone. Most Mazda's are very reliable and chances are you'll never need it but all these new cars have tons of new gadgets and other whistles and bells that are so new there is not really a known failure rate yet. If things like infotainment systems, radar cruise/camera units, adaptive LED lights etc fail out of warranty it will be costly. I had to replace a set of the LED headlights ( daytime running lights failed) on my CX-5 and that was a $2200 ticket. Thankfully handled under warranty.

I know when you do that they actually replace the factory warranty with the new warranty immediately. I had one extra year of full warranty added on to my new CX-9 as part of the deal and it appears as though it is essentially a new 4 year/48k mile warranty from the start. I'm not sure if this matters or not as far as how things are handled at the dealership but that experience seems to never go well anyway.

I got it for my CX-5 as it was my first Mazda. They asked something ridiculous initially and I eventually got it for ~$750. And I never used it once. For $750, it was peace of mind. For $3000, it is not worth it. I would take that money and save it in case something goest wrong.

Just so that you know. The mazda extended confidence plan is 9 yrs 100k miles and the price is as follows: If you get it with 0 deductible it costs 2,095 and if you get it with 100 deductible it costs 1,765. This is the price that i got from an out of state mazda dealer.

Thank you everyone, I agree.
We usually keep cars for about 10 years, so the time length definitely makes sense. If they went down to $750, I'd definitely go for it, but I doubt it, as they're not making any money on the deal at this point (got the lowest deal possible). And 3K is too much upfront to me to consider this an option. It can pay itself off if some electronics fail after 3 years (like montanaman also explained), but I've never had that much of a bad luck with any car before, so hoping this will not change :)

Still, are there any options anyone knows of to extend B2B after the manufacturer warranty finishes?

Just so that you know. The mazda extended confidence plan is 9 yrs 100k miles and the price is as follows: If you get it with 0 deductible it costs 2,095 and if you get it with 100 deductible it costs 1,765. This is the price that i got from an out of state mazda dealer.

Good to know, thank you. Sounds like different dealerships may be offering different plans, because this one for 3K is only 8 years, no deductible. I don't remember mileage limit, cause we don't drive much so it didn't stick in my memory.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
--There is no "extended warranty." There are prepaid repair contracts. When you look at the details of these plans you never see the word "warranty" if the thing is from a legit source. A contract gives you less protection that a true warranty. You really need to see the actual paperwork and read all the fine print to know what you're getting. Mazda calls it Extended Confidence. They avoid the word warranty for good legal reasons.

--You need to know what requirements this extended service contract puts on you. You have to fulfill the requirements it puts on your before they'll consider paying for any repairs.

--Look at the actual factory warranty details. See if you want to prepay for repairs that might or might not be needed beyond that time period. https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/warranty

--All these extended service contracts are just another product sold by the dealership. The price includes the dealer's mark up, a commission for your friendly "finance manager," a profit for the underwriter, and sometimes money left over to pay for some repairs. You can negotiate hard to get the price down, including looking for the same version of the same product from another dealership. Often there are so many versions available that they seem designed to just confuse the buyer.

--The so-called warranties for tires & wheels and other stuff, including a fancy wax job, is almost always a really bad deal. The finance guy is paid only on commission. If he doesn't sell you something extra, he doesn't get a paycheck. That is not your problem.

--Never even consider a 3rd party contract. If you consider any, get only the one provided by the car maker. If the third party underwriter goes bust, you're left with nothing.

--These things almost never pay off. If they'll help you sleep at night, maybe they're OK for you. You're buying peace of mind insurance.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair/get-an-extended-warranty-for-your-car/

Last edited:
yes, thanks, I know there are always some catches. I'm not about to throw out lots of money on a promise. That's why I'm investigating other options here. I just don't want to end up with some rare electronic problem that ends up hugely expensive and not covered after 3 years... Just thinking ahead.

Back