Blown something

Check your dip stick if theres coolant on it its a head gasket problem, if not it could be a faulty water pump or faulty temp sensor if your replacing that you might aswell do the timing belt and full coolant flush aswell just to be safe. Start with the simple stuff before getting elbow deep in a riming belt replacement.
Ive 2 photos of the temp sensor that needed replacing on mine and the water pump.
3ef40c8d2ddfb17bec084d45a93bcfb6.jpg
9c2ce6c5bb1ba5414755450f5514fc06.jpg

Ive 2 photos of the temp sensor that needed replacing on mine and the water pump.

3ef40c8d2ddfb17bec084d45a93bcfb6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's the thermostat, not the temperature sensor.

The OP had his temperature gauge in his cluster read full hot when the engine was cold due to a blown engine fuse in the cabin which made his gauge give a false reading.

He never did actually overheat.

Did i not say thermostat i rushed that reply to try help out, a silly thing like a fuse and we all jump to the worst case of blown head haskets and faulty thermos and fault water pumps [emoji23][emoji23]

Did i not say thermostat i rushed that reply to try help out, a silly thing like a fuse and we all jump to the worst case of blown head haskets and faulty thermos and fault water pumps [emoji23][emoji23]

No kidding !!
I wonder how many shops would have sold him a new head gasket and timing belt kit when it was just a blown fuse.

Can only imagine well over this side of the pond, if your where to replace timing belts and V belts your looking at about 200 euro after VAT and excluding labour.
8bd8024709f7508ae3fdd3ec112dd7ab.jpg

I replaced my timing belt, idler & tensioner pulleys, water pump, thermostat, v-belts, and all associated gaskets for ~ $400 CAD.

I was quoted $1,600 for the job at a shop. (not including the water pump and v-belts)

I replaced my timing belt, idler & tensioner pulleys, water pump, thermostat, v-belts, and all associated gaskets for ~ $400 CAD.

I was quoted $1,600 for the job at a shop. (not including the water pump and v-belts)
Thats eye watering when a Mazda P5 over here is deemed a banger or a beater and is picked up on irish car sites for 1000 euro. Hard to justify spending 1600CAD-1075. When you can do it at a fraction with a bit of know how.

He said the timing belt kit was $800. The rest was labor and I had to supply the water pump.

This is the price at Rockauto today...

Last edited:
..Mazda P5 over here is deemed a banger or a beater and is picked up on irish car sites for 1000 euro...

That's around the same price as here but they're all rusty turds over here.

I paid $6,300 for my car in 2009 and did the timing belt about two years later.

I'm not going to change the timing belt again.
I'm just going to drive it till the belt snaps then push it off a bridge.

And yes, my car has been deemed "unfit for resale". (at least I'm allowed to drive it.)

Is the timing belt that much of a hassle? I know I'm going to have to do mine soon

The worst part is that you have to reach your hands in between the engine and engine bay with less than 2" of clearance.

Even some of my socket wrenches wouldn't fit in there, I had to go to "1/4 sockets.

The "how to" made all the difference for me... Tons of tricks and know how.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123796676-How-To-Protege-Timing-Belt-Change

I made some amendments at the end of the how-to.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-Belt-Change&p=6150564&viewfull=1#post6150564

Last edited:
It's not that bad at all. The first time mine broke it took me about 3 days, but that was because nobody had the tensioner spring in stock and I had to order it lol. The second time I had it replaced, put back together and running in around 2 hours.

Latest posts

Back