2nd day driving; rock dinged my window!!

Insurance coverage varies by state. For example in MN policies are required to provide full glass coverage which means you get it replaced for free. And you premium does not go up because of a replacement - it's already built into your premium.

Different states have different ways insurance covers windshields (or not), so I would not be at all surprised if some result in rate changes if you are getting too many new windshields in a short amount of time. For instance, we have no specific glass policies, so mine falls under my comprehensive coverage.

Now repairs to windshields on the other hand should be free and not affect anything and should absolutely be used. From an insurance standpoint, they'd love to repair your windshield and save having to put out money for an expensive new windshield, especially these fancy shmancy ones with your sensors and crap.

My previous Jeep Wrangler was a rock magnet, because of the flat upright windshield. In the 3 years I owned it, I had 2 repairs and 3 replacements on the windshield. $0 deductible in MASS and no effect on my insurance cost. I was worried it would affect me, but never did.

My previous Jeep Wrangler was a rock magnet, because of the flat upright windshield. In the 3 years I owned it, I had 2 repairs and 3 replacements on the windshield. $0 deductible in MASS and no effect on my insurance cost. I was worried it would affect me, but never did.

Yeah I had a TJ for many years and every year we replaced that windshield lol.

Disaster. I took it to AutoGlass and they came out after 10 mins and said that the 1 inch crack had lengthened to 8 cm while they were injecting the epoxy. ARGH. My car is only 3 days OLD!!!! (cryhard)(cryhard)(cryhard)(cryhard)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that OP. If it is any consolation I had the same thing happen when I bought my wife's 2016.5 AND on my 2017. Mazda windshields = magnets for rocks. (hand)

My wife's was only a week old and had to get the entire windshield replaced. I highly encourage you to try and professionally fix it first, and if it can't be fixed then replaced with OEM.

As for the OP, since the car is so new I would want a new windshield. I would bite the bullet and get an OEM one. Maybe investigate the insurance option that others talked about. Trucks on the highway are a pita, they are notorious for throwing up rocks or dropping small debris as the speed along at 70 mph.

man it seems like there are a lot of issues with Mazda windshields. Is this something intrinsically wrong with the glass?

I do also wonder if the guy deliberately broke it. it was such a TINY crack... I regret bringing it in now.

man it seems like there are a lot of issues with Mazda windshields. Is this something intrinsically wrong with the glass?

I do also wonder if the guy deliberately broke it. it was such a TINY crack... I regret bringing it in now.

Later Gen 1 windshields? Oh yeah - they were definitely too thin. The problem isn't as bad in the Gen 2 but notice I state "as bad".

If you are curious check out https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-5/

#1 Problem for 2016, 2015

What generation is the 2019 because mine sucks.

Also, can I get the auto glass repair to help me with some of these costs since they screwed it up from a tiny crack or should I just get insurance to cover it all now.. ugh

Uhmmm....2019 is the newest model...we are on Gen 2....so do the math....

Yeah, windshields have been a common complaint. My factory windshield chipped very easily, but didn't crack until almost 4 years in. The aftermarket windshield I replaced it with on the other hand seems to be much, much stronger.

It's a new car, it sucks, s*** happens. It's just a windshield.

Hell, if you only had the car 3 days, call up Mazda? I don't know.

What generation is the 2019 because mine sucks.

Also, can I get the auto glass repair to help me with some of these costs since they screwed it up from a tiny crack or should I just get insurance to cover it all now.. ugh

As ColoradoDriver said, the 2019s are Gen 2. "Better" windshields, but not the best.

If I remember correctly, one of the hazards of trying to fill a crack is the possibility of it making it worse. Looks like you had the bad luck of the draw on that one, sorry dude. I don't think the auto glass repair shop will help with the cost as it is one of the risks you take doing a fill BUT doesn't hurt to ask.

My 2 cents: Call your insurance and see if you have any coverage for glass. After that, take it back to the dealer to get an OEM. I recommend dealer since there is calibration that needs to be done once you install a new windshield. I trust the dealer more than a 3rd party to get it right.

Comes down to dumb luck in my opinion. Window cracked on two cars in first year of ownership. Knock on wood, no replacement in the 6 years after, no chips or anything 🙄

The windshield that I had a star crack was a Santa Fe. And like you, Safelite broke the windshield when they tried to repair it which I think they did on purpose to make more money. I bet they did not allow you to watch them repair yours. They wouldn't let me watch them try to repair mine. They won't help you with the cost, but they won't charge for the attempt at fixing it. At least that is what my experience was.
They did do an excellent replacement job on my Santa Fe, they did it in the parking lot at work so I didn't even lose a work day.
Also that was 10 years ago and the only time I had a windshield problem. Knock on wood.

Last edited:
The windshield that I had a star crack was a Santa Fe. And like you, Safelite broke the windshield when they tried to repair it which I think they did on purpose to make more money. I bet they did not allow you to watch them repair yours. They wouldn't let me watch them try to repair mine. They won't help you with the cost, but they won't charge for the attempt at fixing it. At least that is what my experience was.
They did do an excellent replacement job on my Santa Fe, they did it in the parking lot at work so I didn't even lose a work day.
Also that was 10 years ago and the only time I had a windshield problem. Knock on wood.

exactly the same thing happened. I asked to watch; they said no. 10 mins later autoglass came in and said the crack became 5 inches. I'm pretty pissed by all of it.

Wow I've always been able to watch repairs, but usually they come to me.

Same here, whether it's a mobile repair or a repair done at their shop, they always let me watch if I want to. After hearing those stories, I don't think I'd let someone do the repair if they told me I wasn't allowed to watch. Sounds shady.

When it's already cracked, it can often be lengthened easily just by pressing on it.
If someone is going to cheat you, they could easily do it even while you were watching, and you'd be none the wiser.
Best to find an honest shop.

Same here, whether it's a mobile repair or a repair done at their shop, they always let me watch if I want to. After hearing those stories, I don't think I'd let someone do the repair if they told me I wasn't allowed to watch. Sounds shady.

Thanks, I've never thought about it before but from now on, I won't let them do it ever again without me watching.

I was quoted for a full windshield replacement at my local dealership for

$560 glass
$145 install
$216 reprogram windshield detectors

Does this sound correct?

I was quoted for a full windshield replacement at my local dealership for

$560 glass
$145 install
$216 reprogram windshield detectors

Does this sound correct?

reprogram windshield detectors?
i don't think that's a "thing" there is nothing to reprogram.
Just have to replace the windshield, make sure it's the right windshield with the proper radar cutouts by the mirror housing, and that's it.

Last edited:
Back