2nd day driving; rock dinged my window!!

:
CX5
Just got my brand new 2019 CX5 and took it on its first highway drive. Drove about 200 miles and about 9 miles in a rock flipped off a truck and caused a 1 in crack in my front windshield. (sad1)

Can I epoxy this myself like this? https://youtu.be/QjuWqBzO7qY

Or should I leave to the the professionals? Does it matter that we have automatic wipers?

Personally Id have it done professionally. As long as the damage isnt in front of the sensor for the wipers that shouldnt be affected.

Now if youre replacing the windshield the auto wipers and driver assistance (camera) are relevant to the replacement.

Many auto insurance companies have a free window replacement policy that doesn't require a deductible. Check that first. Ed

Might not require a deductable but it's still a loss** and can (typically WILL) affect your insurance over time

Last edited:
I have done epoxy fix on stars. Problem with a crack is it becoming big. See if pro can repair instead of replace.

It doesn't effect you insurance standings from personal experience with major insurance companies. Ed

Don't you mean a free windshield repair with no deductible?

Ive had two windshields replaced in the last 5 years with Progressive (FL). First was a star with a crack coming off of it on my CX5 2nd month of ownership. Safelite said it wasnt repairable so the windshield was replaced. Second was a star right in my line of sight, Corolla in first year of ownership. The repair sucked. Somehow the epoxy made the star go away but made a bright spot, like a little prism in my windshield. I let Progressive know so that windshield was replaced too at no charge.

I*ve had two windshields replaced in the last 5 years with Progressive (FL). First was a star with a crack coming off of it on my CX5 2nd month of ownership. Safelite said it wasn*t repairable so the windshield was replaced. Second was a star right in my line of sight, Corolla in first year of ownership. The repair sucked. Somehow the epoxy made the star go away but made a bright spot, like a little prism in my windshield. I let Progressive know so that windshield was replaced too at no charge.

I got a star crack on my old car. I went to Safelite and they said they would try and repair it. Big surprise, he broke the windshield trying to repair it. To this day I think they break the windshield on purpose, I could have fixed it. Anyway they replaced the windshield and did a very good job, it never leaked and looked like the original windshield.

As for the OP, since the car is so new I would want a new windshield. I would bite the bullet and get an OEM one. Maybe investigate the insurance option that others talked about. Trucks on the highway are a pita, they are notorious for throwing up rocks or dropping small debris as the speed along at 70 mph.

I'm sorry to hear that OP. If it is any consolation I had the same thing happen when I bought my wife's 2016.5 AND on my 2017. Mazda windshields = magnets for rocks. (hand)

My wife's was only a week old and had to get the entire windshield replaced. I highly encourage you to try and professionally fix it first, and if it can't be fixed then replaced with OEM.

I have done epoxy fix on stars. Problem with a crack is it becoming big. See if pro can repair instead of replace.
I agree. Especially if the crack is a star instead of a tiny chip. I found a local windshield repair guy with excellent reviews to fix the windshield with a star crack on my Honda CR-V. He came to my house fixing it and cost me only $50. It involved some drilling and heating to the windshield which I felt anyone else doing it would break the windshield! The result is excellent and I can hardly see any sign of the repair even 4 years after the repair.

As for the OP, since the car is so new I would want a new windshield. I would bite the bullet and get an OEM one.
My opinion is opposite on this. Therere too many sensors and camera mounted on the windshield nowadays. Factory service manual says most of them requires re-calibration when the windshield gets replaced. See which Safelite has such equipment to do the job?

The worst story Ive seen on this board is Safelite taped the rain-sensing wiper sensor to the replacement windshield!

Try to find a reputable windshield repair professional to fix the crack like I did keeping the factory windshield as long as you can.

Trucks on the highway are a pita, they are notorious for throwing up rocks or dropping small debris as the speed along at 70 mph.
So true! Those truckers are driving at 80 mph on the Interstate left and right lane whenever they want to, even on the shoulder kicking up rocks which hit the windshield of my CR-V although I kept my CR-V very far behind the 18-wheeler in the recent road trip from Dallas to San Jose. Fortunately the 21-year-old windshield is pretty strong and the crack is not big and not a star although wife thought at the time the windshield is broken with such a loud noise.

Or those gigantic tractors with the tow behind mower. My CX5 windshield was taken out by one. Dude was driving it in reverse on the shoulder, shot a rock out and hit my windshield like a shot out of a gun 🤦*♂️

I'd advise you to get it fixed ASAP by a pro. Got a nice little crack on my windshield from a stray rock on my way into work one day, so as soon as I was off, I went to a windshield repair place to have the chip looked at. Guy did his thing and the chip is barely noticeable now. He said that the sooner he's able to repair the chip after it happens, the better the repair will look. I'd only get the windshield replaced if I absolutely had to, because stuff like this is going to happen if you drive the car. Paint and windshields will chip, and doors will get dinged. Standard issue for a daily driven vehicle.

It doesn't effect you insurance standings from personal experience with major insurance companies. Ed

Mine was a different experience with my first cx5 and the chitty windshield. I think it was replaced at least three times including a stress crack on a replaced one within a few days (another reason I swear by the strut bar). If a $300 bumper claim will affect your rate I dont see how a 400+ windshield claim wouldn't

Mine was a different experience with my first cx5 and the chitty windshield. I think it was replaced at least three times including a stress crack on a replaced one within a few days (another reason I swear by the strut bar). If a $300 bumper claim will affect your rate I dont see how a 400+ windshield claim wouldn't

I think the original reference was to getting the chip repaired, which is cheaper for all parties.

Full replacement is a different matter.

Back