1st gen vs 2nd gen forum

Also, aside from cosmetic, style, and some different tuning, the guts of both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are practically the same. On that front the only big difference is the introduction of the turbo, and Yrwei's favorite feature of cylinder deactivation.

If they are the same, I wonder what parts the GEN1 and GEN2 share? I have not found any yet...;)

Differently tuned perhaps, but same 2.5L and same 6 speed tranny.

Strange they use different part numbers... block, heads, pistons, all different..

I recall some head changes, piston changes, and a few other updates... and a different tune. Which gained 3hp.

Transmission had some changes and updates too I believe. Including the addition of a fulcrum to aid in the response for the cylinder cutoff.

Last edited:
Strange they use different part numbers...

I recall some head changes, piston changes, and a few other updates... and a different tune. Which gained 3hp.

Transmission had some changes and updates too I believe.
Different part numbers? Interesting. I'm assuming its the improvements on the tranny and engine from gen 1, but I wouldn't go so far to say it's a completely different engine and tranny.

Different part numbers? Interesting. I'm assuming its the improvements on the tranny and engine from gen 1, but I wouldn't go so far to say it's a completely different engine and tranny.

Yes, I was surprised too... No, definitely not completely different. But also not the same.

Really only interested in trying a turbo and closest dealer still not doing turbo test drives yet.

Gen 2 still not my style otherwise.
I understand that. I am in same boat, which is why I bought out our lease to keep our 2016.5.
My parents have the 2018, and I get to drive the 2016.5/2018 back to back often.

Really only interested in trying a turbo and closest dealer still not doing turbo test drives yet.

I was bored, so I searched some dealers near Denver. I see McDonald Mazda West has 1 Signature for sale, no GTR's. It shows it has 117 miles on it, so someone is driving it. My local dealer has 7 Sig's and 7 GTR's on order. I'll be curious to see how fast they sell once they arrive.

Interesting... my dealer still has the same remaining 7 Sigs it had in stock after I bought mine last week, plus 9 GTRs. I suppose it takes awhile longer for these models to make their way eastward.

SO, my vehicle is in the shop, as some of you saw. They loaned me a 2017-2019 (I dunno which, I think '19 CX5 FWD (GT?). Anyway...

My gen 1 is so much more "raw". It corners flatter, it has MUCH more "feedback" from the chassis and the steering wheel. It is significantly more athletic in the acceleration department. The '19 quite frankly felt like a total pud.

It was also CLASSY. The interior noise was muted significantly. The contact surfaces felt "nice". If there were no branding visible, and the style was changed to reflect the brand but materials left the same, I'd have said it was the same as a '13-'15 C-Class. I have to walk it back from the trash I talked earlier. Mazda is playing the luxury game and doing it well! I'm impressed. Very.

The differences in "feel" were similar to driving a C6 Grand Sport and a C6 Z06 back to back. Night and day.

I was bored, so I searched some dealers near Denver. I see McDonald Mazda West has 1 Signature for sale, no GTR's. It shows it has 117 miles on it, so someone is driving it. My local dealer has 7 Sig's and 7 GTR's on order. I'll be curious to see how fast they sell once they arrive.
McDonald can suck it.

Not that the others around here are any better. :(

SO, my vehicle is in the shop, as some of you saw. They loaned me a 2017-2019 (I dunno which, I think '19 CX5 FWD (GT?). Anyway...

My gen 1 is so much more "raw". It corners flatter, it has MUCH more "feedback" from the chassis and the steering wheel. It is significantly more athletic in the acceleration department. The '19 quite frankly felt like a total pud.

It was also CLASSY. The interior noise was muted significantly. The contact surfaces felt "nice". If there were no branding visible, and the style was changed to reflect the brand but materials left the same, I'd have said it was the same as a '13-'15 C-Class. I have to walk it back from the trash I talked earlier. Mazda is playing the luxury game and doing it well! I'm impressed. Very.

The differences in "feel" were similar to driving a C6 Grand Sport and a C6 Z06 back to back. Night and day.

The above is why I wasn't interested in a 2019 car, having driven both a 2017 and 2018 car I found the driving experience numb, not for me. My 2015 car gave me everything I needed, just got bored of it and wanted a change. And the price had increased by over 3K.

First of all...Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it and take it into consideration...I've updated the CX-5 Forum prefixes...Hope that helps and that I didn't mistake the years..:D

Back