1st gen vs 2nd gen forum

Snacks

Contributor
:
CX-5 AWD GT
Would it be possible to clean up the forum a little but by separating all the 1st gen and 2nd gen discussions?

That shipped sailed too long ago. If this site were dedicated solely to the CX5 it couldve been done with the intro of the new gen. But as the site is all Mazda models and none of the others are sorted by gen, I dont see an easy feasible way to reorganize.

The different gens work for OdyClub, but again its dedicated solely to the Odyssey.

Would it be possible to clean up the forum a little but by separating all the 1st gen and 2nd gen discussions?

+1 Makes sense to me! Many other car owner sites do this with different Gens of same vehicle.

Nope, some of the other sub forums were combined because of low participation overall. If you look the majority of the conversation are a handful of active members and a few inputs from 1 timers or 50 posts a year

It's helpful to see the evolution of the car, and also to compare changes. I like to see all gens represented, like it is now.

Overall forum activity is not a good excuse, the same level of activity will still be there just better focused.

New owners of the 2nd gen dominate the newest activity.

Overall forum activity is not a good excuse, the same level of activity will still be there just better focused.

LOL. New Gen 2 owners don't dominate the activity. I'd say there is a pretty healthy mix.

You guys do realize there is a little dropdown when you start a new topic that let's you specify it as a "Gen 2" specific thread right?

That's because it's new. There's more to talk about compared to the points of interest already covered for the 1st Gen.

Most users here are good about prefacing which model they are talking about whenever a thread is started. Most users also have some of their vehicle info listed underneath their username in every post. This is great because if/when the forum gets big enough and sees enough traffic, it'll be easier for mods to sort the threads. As it stands right now, there isn't enough activity to warrant gen-specific subforums.

Like Chris said, with the low amount of participation, it's easy enough to pick through the new posts and threads and determine which gen they apply to. Just do that until the forum activity picks up and participation improves.

You guys do realize there is a little dropdown when you start a new topic that let's you specify it as a "Gen 2" specific thread right?

Hm, didn't know that. Apparently it's not available in the CX-9 sub.

Also, aside from cosmetic, style, and some different tuning, the guts of both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are practically the same. On that front the only big difference is the introduction of the turbo, and Yrwei's favorite feature of cylinder deactivation.

Chris, perhaps Antoine can update that "Prefix" field in new posts to say "Gen 1" and "Gen 2" instead of "2017+" to make it more clear.

Never noticed that drop down thing. That's pretty cool.

So you would like to see:

1st Gen CX5:
-Lounge
-Infotainment
-Accessories
-Wheels
-Engine
-How-to

and then a gen 2 one? And then why stop there? Should start a 2nd gen 3 and 2nd gen 6 forum...
Part of the issue with this forum is... way way way to many sub-forums. I've talked about this quite a bit. Let me beat that dead horse one more time.
So in this forums current iteration I am very anti separating the gens.

However... it would be much easier to separate it out if the forum was setup like this:

MAZDA GENERAL TOPICS
-Lounge
-Mazda News
-General Body Work and Detailing
-Wheels & Tires
-General Audio Information
-Buy
-Sell

MAZDA 3
-Help & Support
-Mods & Tunes

CX-5
-Help & Support
-Mods & Tunes

Then you could add a Gen 2 and it's only 2 more forums.
Boom boom boom down the line. Keep it simple.
Every forum having it's own lounge, that needs to go away. I hate that about this forum. We should be mixing with ALL Mazda owners, not just us. I mean, some CX9 owners hang out here because the 9 forum is so dead. I'd love to see pics of other Mazda's. Read stuff from other owners. I don't want to check 15 different forums just to see what the CX3 people are talking about.

Having an ALL MAZDA news section just makes the most sense instead of posting all NEWS stories in the CX5 lounge.

At the VERY least, couldn't Accessories & Appearance be lumped with Infotainment?
Couldn't Wheels Tires be merged to Engine & Tranny and called something else?

This forum has been around a long time and exploded in popularity with the CX5.
I get that it would be an enormous undertaking. So much so that I can't even imagine anyone wanting to tackle that job.

With all due respect. Obviously I love our community. It's almost too big to change now. :D

/edit/ One last thing. A lot of people here are new to Mazda and have no idea if something is specific to Gen 1 or 2. So there's that, too.

Last edited:
So in this forums current iteration I am very anti separating the gens.

However... it would be much easier to separate it out if the forum was setup like this:

MAZDA GENERAL TOPICS
-Lounge
-Mazda News
-General Body Work and Detailing
-Wheels & Tires
-General Audio Information
-Buy
-Sell

MAZDA 3
-Help & Support
-Mods & Tunes

CX-5
-Help & Support
-Mods & Tunes

Then you could add a Gen 2 and it's only 2 more forums.
Boom boom boom down the line. Keep it simple.
Every forum having it's own lounge, that needs to go away. I hate that about this forum. We should be mixing with ALL Mazda owners, not just us. I mean, some CX9 owners hang out here because the 9 forum is so dead. I'd love to see pics of other Mazda's. Read stuff from other owners. I don't want to check 15 different forums just to see what the CX3 people are talking about.

Having an ALL MAZDA news section just makes the most sense instead of posting all NEWS stories in the CX5 lounge.

At the VERY least, couldn't Accessories & Appearance be lumped with Infotainment?
Couldn't Wheels Tires be merged to Engine & Tranny and called something else?

This forum has been around a long time and exploded in popularity with the CX5.
I get that it would be an enormous undertaking. So much so that I can't even imagine anyone wanting to tackle that job.

With all due respect. Obviously I love our community. It's almost too big to change now. :D

/edit/ One last thing. A lot of people here are new to Mazda and have no idea if something is specific to Gen 1 or 2. So there's that, too.

Totally agree with the majority of your suggestions. To be clear, I don't actively hang around the CX-5 forums, I just click on the New Posts link in the top left and go from there. 90% of the activity just happens to come from there/here.

I just click on the New Posts link in the top left and go from there. 90% of the activity just happens to come from there/here.

Definitely the way to do it if you want to see what's going on all over.

Last edited:
I agree with the "its too late" sentiment. However, if we could turn back time, I would definitely prefer that the forum be organized by generation without any of the existing subsections (infotainment, wheels & tires, etc.).

Many have said that the various Generations of CX-5s have a great deal of similarities. That is very true.

However, a specific area where that is definitely not true is "Accessories".

The vast majority of after market accessories are First or Second generation specific.

As has already been posted, it would be extremely helpful if all members would indicate with their signature what year or generation their CX-5 is.

It is not too late to do it, no matter how many times you have posted on this forum. You can even do it now. That way, the responsibility of clarification falls in the lap of the forum Members, not the Moderators or powers to be.

If this was done, there would be no doubt as to which posts you may want to read. You would have more choices or options.

Back