"What should I get for my new CX5 First?"---A definitive answer

Med Center Mazda sent me a couple of freebies when I bought my first 3 oil changes from them. Rubber ones, and they're good enough for me. If they wouldn't have sent them, I wouldn't have ever bought any, so I guess it works...

Oh yea Ive got their freebie in my junk drawer. They sent it when I bought some accessories online.

A damn key-fob cover.

Every single CX5 fob I've seen that is over a year or two old, seems to have the front end of the top part of the cover missing, and the side cracked. You drop that bad boy 1 or 2 times in the parkinglot, and it's donezo, back to the dealer for a $250 or so new FOB...and then back to wal-mart to buy some superglue because "screw that!", and finally to Amazon to buy one you can steal the face-plate off of for $40 and a cover, to keep it from happening, like you should have done when you got the darn thing.

This has been a frustration fueled bit of advice that you'll thank me for later.

I have dropped my fob literally many, many times in lots of parking lots, garage, concrete stairs, etc. and it has maybe a few scratches on it at best after 6 years. Pretty resilient as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Freebies FTW...

2ja1cp.jpg
29ivs4.jpg

A quick detour back to key fob covers; I got these from a China vendor for my Mazdas.
Black for my Machine Gray MX-5 RF and Red for my Soul Red Crystal CX-5 Signature:

32171170667_0891eea13a_k.jpg
47159789621_88a97a3f2e_k.jpg

Only disadvantages are that the "Panic" button is covered and that the cover has to be removed in order to access the "emergency" door key.

Those are the ones I like. Didn't realize the panic button was covered. Only used it once though... To find my car.

My fob has survived exposed all these years without any noticeable wear... only one I have dealt with that was damaged came with the nice little Mazda 3 I was given during my recent oil leak work. I made sure service advisor noted it was damaged to rule out possibility of future damage accusations.

Interesting. I don't think mine will get damaged, it is in my pocket all the time, but maybe I will try to make a homemade one.

Back