"What should I get for my new CX5 First?"---A definitive answer

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
A damn key-fob cover.

Every single CX5 fob I've seen that is over a year or two old, seems to have the front end of the top part of the cover missing, and the side cracked. You drop that bad boy 1 or 2 times in the parkinglot, and it's donezo, back to the dealer for a $250 or so new FOB...and then back to wal-mart to buy some superglue because "screw that!", and finally to Amazon to buy one you can steal the face-plate off of for $40 and a cover, to keep it from happening, like you should have done when you got the darn thing.

This has been a frustration fueled bit of advice that you'll thank me for later.

That's a first thing I've got after picking the car up. Ironically, both my wife and never take the fobs out of the purse/pocket.

That's a first thing I've got after picking the car up. Ironically, both my wife and never take the fobs out of the purse/pocket.

Same here, lol. I just got it so my other keys don't scratch up the keyfob (shrug)

never had this issue, after owning our car for 5 years,
but then again, i never had to take my key out, that's the beauty of keyless. ;)

never had this issue, after owning our car for 5 years,
but then again, i never had to take my key out, that's the beauty of keyless. ;)

Agree. Waste of money. Mind both look brand new. How are you people so hard on these fobs? I mean I thought about getting them strictly to look different... :D

Agree. Waste of money. Mind both look brand new. How are you people so hard on these fobs? I mean I thought about getting them strictly to look different... :D

Yes there is always the "individualized" look ;)

People have different situations. Some people never take their keys out of their pockets throughout the day. Others take them out to lock/unlock gym/uniform/gun lockers, mailboxes, tool sheds, real estate properties, etc.

Once washed my key fob in the washer. Took it apart and placed in bowl of rice for 3 days. Works till this day......You can actually purchase a new fob shell from ebay if you want a new stock look. Its like cracking open a large pistachio shell LOL.

I actually forgot mine in my bathing suit when I went into a hot whirl pool. Remember the fob after about 3 minutes. Got out and dried it and it still works today after 4 more years. Tough little fobs. Ed

It is funny how they don't make them more resilient from a cosmetic perspective. I'm pretty gentle on things but the button labels always seem to wear off, the fake chrome peels, etc. regardless of the brand.

People have different situations. Some people never take their keys out of their pockets throughout the day. Others take them out to lock/unlock gym/uniform/gun lockers, mailboxes, tool sheds, real estate properties, etc.

Exactly. I wear gym shorts quite often, and the pockets aren't the best. So I tend to carry the keys in-hand often, or I use my keys to unlock my house...which is not keyless. I also have a 550 lumen light on my keychain. Etc. Tons of reasons my keyfob is not safetly tucked away.

Same here, lol. I just got it so my other keys don't scratch up the keyfob (shrug)

That's why I got mine. And I don't even keep them attached, so I can take out my house keys without taking out the fob, and I leave the fob inside a faraday pouch at home when I'm not driving.

But I am annoyed that the fob covers I got don't have the liftgate button textured for easy recognition by touch, the way the actual button on the fob is textured. I'm wondering if there's some glue that would survive abrasion in my pocket while creating a dot I can feel.

Thats why my car key and the rest of my keys are separate. Car key stays in pocket most of the time and the rest of the keys are in a keysmart. Never dropped it.

I got this one (brand: vitodeco) from Amazon for $14 each. Amazon has a bunch of similar looking ones listed, but I liked the braided rope on this one. Fit is very snug.

CMdALjt.jpg

faraday pouch

Is wireless keyfob hacking an issue in your area? Sucks that we have to resort to stuff like this :(

But I am annoyed that the fob covers I got don't have the liftgate button textured for easy recognition by touch, the way the actual button on the fob is textured. I'm wondering if there's some glue that would survive abrasion in my pocket while creating a dot I can feel.

I got covers similar to these ones. Mine are just blank where the Mazda logo is. They have the impression for the 4th button on the keyfob. I think the CX-5 and CX-9 keyfobs are the same dimensions.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Yeah, I guess I was kind of harsh there. I've wasted plenty of money in cosmetic bulls***.
Gotta be honest though. These are some ugly cases. The hard plastic ones are the ones I looked at. These leather ones?!? Ew. No offense. [emoji39]

Citation for saying "damn". (five-0)...

I guess I've lucked out the only thing failed on my fob is the chrome of the Mazda logo

that was the first accessory i bought when i got my car back in July. They i got one for my alarm/remote start fob when i got it installed last month.

TqwYbjf.jpg

Back