What is the difference in engine years

:
2013 Mazda CX-9 touring
Hey everyone, Ive had a 2013 cx9 touring for about 2 years and just had a water pump failure. Im trying to find engines with decent mileage but I keep seeing differing opinions as to what engines will just drop in. It looks like on 2013&2014 engines will be just a drop in for mine. What changed in 2015? There are better options currently if I can use a 2015 engine.

question has been asked a couple of times and unfortunatly never was answered, not many people have been doing engine swap in those vehicule and seems like info isn't easily available.

I just put an engine from a lower mileage 2012 into my 2013 CX9 after had water pump failure at 92k miles. No issues with interchange. Had to switch a plug at the starter motor from the 2013 engine harness onto the engine harness that came on the 2012 used engine. I watched used prices on car-part.com for a couple weeks before starting to pursue several 50k or less engines. The engines went very fast from the used part dealers and I missed a few lower mile engines before getting the 2012 with 46k mi from a recycler in Stanford VA that had a totaled CX9 on the way in when I called about another engine that was advertised.

I searched but was not able to find a good engine interchange info source.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine says the engine was same in the 2008 to 2015 CX9s. I expect that there are probably harness & plugs, potentially minor accessory changes during that 9 year run. It would be real sweet to know if the Ford 3.7L engines from the early (upto 2012) Lincoln MKS & MKT can be swapped into the CX9 because they are available $500-800 cheaper than used Mazda CX-9 engines with similar miles.

Last edited:
Back