2019 GT-R Engine Performance Question

This thread makes me wonder if the Signature trim (US spec) is the top selling trim now...overtaking GT models.

I'd say the two Turbo models (GTR & Sig) are neck and neck. Dealers appears to have minimal inventory of each sitting on their lots. I got lucky with my gray GTR as I told the dealer any color except black or white.

This thread makes me wonder if the Signature trim (US spec) is the top selling trim now...overtaking GT models.

I notice at my dealer, they get them in and they go pretty quickly. The usually get 4-5 in and in less than week, they are down to one or zero. They always seem to have 7-10 GT-R's in stock and even more GTs, which are priced only %500-$1000 less than the GT-R.

edit. Just looking at my local dealer and they are down to 1 signature and 5 GTRs. Just last week, they had 5 signatures and 10 GTr's.

I'd say the two Turbo models (GTR & Sig) are neck and neck. Dealers appears to have minimal inventory of each sitting on their lots. I got lucky with my gray GTR as I told the dealer any color except black or white.

I notice at my dealer, they get them in and they go pretty quickly. The usually get 4-5 in and in less than week, they are down to one or zero. They always seem to have 7-10 GT-R's in stock and even more GTs, which are priced only %500-$1000 less than the GT-R.

Just looking at my local dealer and they are down to 1 signature and 5 GTRs. Just last week, they had 5 signatures and 10 GTr's.

My cousin scoffed at a 40k CX-5 until I told him the top selling CX-5's were GT models. I then told him 40k is pricing for entry level lux SUVs from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi via bare bone minimal lease specials to get 30k a year millionaires into their dealerships.

My cousin scoffed at a 40k CX-5 until I told him the top selling CX-5's were GT models. I then told him 40k is pricing for entry level lux SUVs from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi via bare bone minimal lease specials to get 30k a year millionaires into their dealerships.

Yeah, it will be very interesting to see the sales breakdown for the different trims. I did one of those surveys recently for Mazda and the focus was all about "premium" and what makes it "premium" - including engine type if you know what I mean.

...another point of reference - not apples to apples, but...

I had a 370 HP Corvette (3200 lbs) for 13 years. Before that I had a 350 HP (classic) Corvette for 22 years. I was used to having a decent amount of power. The oly time I was able to utilize the power to 70% of its capability was when a group of Corvette owners took to the outskirts of southern California for "runs", every few months or so.
I was very hesitant to buy anything with less horsepower but I can now say that the extra cost is not worth it to me when 99% of driving is done in a fairly densely-populated area. Yes, there are (very few) times when I wish I had more horsepower but I have come to realize that real joy is attained through excellent handling and a great interior. I did test-drive the 250 HP Mazda 6 and was more impressed by its interior than its acceleration, which is a step above that generated by my Mazda3.
In summation, my preference is a lighter vehicle with great handling and interior. Acceleration performance is no longer priority 1. I think you'll feel the same after driving a Mazda.

Same. I had an awd turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse that had a lot of power. I had it a long time and loved it but my next car was a Santa Fe. The higher seating position and utility was appreciated more than the acceleration and I never got another sports car. It might be an age of the driver thing too, not sure. What is funny is instead of getting excited about 0-60 speed, I get excited about seeing the high mpg and try to drive to beat my record high lol.

Same. I had an awd turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse that had a lot of power. I had it a long time and loved it but my next car was a Santa Fe. The higher seating position and utility was appreciated more than the acceleration and I never got another sports car. It might be an age of the driver thing too, not sure. What is funny is instead of getting excited about 0-60 speed, I get excited about seeing the high mpg and try to drive to beat my record high lol.

I love those vehicles that try as you might, you can't flog them enough to get poor mpg. My Trans Am was this way, as was my Infiniti G20 (although flogging it was about like beating a dead horse, if only slightly less morbid). My 2015 CX5, I had to try t o the point of being "that asshole" on the freeway to even match EPA numbers. My other cars? Set t he cruise at 75-80 and just enjoy. I am hoping my GT-R is like all the other cars I've owned and not like my '15.

Unless dealerships are selling 95% of their Sig inventory while its still on the ship, I dont think theyre delivering the Sig fast enough to allow it to be the top selling trim.

Cant wait to see the sales figures though. The lower trims are gonna get a boost from finally having CP/AA from the factory too.

Unless dealerships are selling 95% of their Sig inventory while it*s still on the ship, I don*t think they*re delivering the Sig fast enough to allow it to be the top selling trim.

Can*t wait to see the sales figures though. The lower trims are gonna get a boost from finally having CP/AA from the factory too.

When I bought my 370Z, I wanted Sport/Touring/Manual/NAV in gun metallic. They were selling that vehicle within minutes of hit hitting the shore, before it even got to dealerships. It took half a year to get mine, nearly.

11 Turbo Models in stock at the local dealer here (6 Siggies and 5 GTR), out of a total of 28 2019 CX-5 in stock (11 GT as well) and they*re not moving. They*ve sold 1 of the 2 black ones they got in a couple months ago and that*s it, and have a white GTR they haven*t even took the shipping plastic off of yet. The GTs are marked down $1500 for everyone, and the Turbo Models are not, and granted this is a high priced dealership, so who knows...

Last edited:
11 Turbo Models in stock at the local dealer here (6 Siggies and 5 GTR), our of a total of 28 3019 CX-5 in stock (11 GT as well) and they*re not moving. They*ve sold 1 of the 2 black ones they got in a couple months ago and that*s it, and have a white GTR they haven*t even took the shipping plastic off of yet. The GTs are marked down $1500 for everyone, and the Turbo Models are not, and granted this is a high priced dealership, so who knows...

Our local dealer shows 7 Sig's and 7 GTR's in their inventory. However, all are just on the way. They have 0 on hand. Does your local dealer actually have them sitting on the lot?

Our local dealer shows 7 Sig's and 7 GTR's in their inventory. However, all are just on the way. They have 0 on hand. Does your local dealer actually have them sitting on the lot?

Yes, they*re physically on the lot (even the one with plastic still on the wheels etc). Dealer here was actually one of the first to get them, and I was surprised to post that here when they first starting showing up on dealer lots based on my location...

They have the exact one I*d buy if I splurged and got one, can*t lie, it*s tempting and easily feasible, but doubt it*s happening because finally putting some miles on the one I have now, and I doubt I could ever come to terms with this dealer, either...

Last edited:
1 dealership near me has 1 GT signature at 38k and 4 GT reserves at 35k advertised (could negotiate maybe to around 33-34ish?) which is a really good value considering you get the 300lb TQ Turbo engine, AWD, LED headlights, bose, Heated/Ventilated Front Sport Seats, Blind spot sensors, ect.

A comparable new CRV with AWD starts around 35k msrp. Damn Mazda's pricing is really competitive for what you get. History is starting to show Mazda (post skyactiv era) as having engines/transmissions more reliable than average. So a good value point there as well.

Last edited:
My dealer has 79 CX-5's in stock. 1 Signature, 6 GT-R's, 18GT's, 30 Touring and 24 sports.

This week, the number of signatures should go up by 4-5 and the GT-Rs should go up to about 10. By this time next week, it will be back down to the same number as it is now.

11 Turbo Models in stock at the local dealer here (6 Siggies and 5 GTR), out of a total of 28 2019 CX-5 in stock (11 GT as well) and they*re not moving. They*ve sold 1 of the 2 black ones they got in a couple months ago and that*s it, and have a white GTR they haven*t even took the shipping plastic off of yet. The GTs are marked down $1500 for everyone, and the Turbo Models are not, and granted this is a high priced dealership, so who knows...

What dealer we talking about? Bradshaw Mazda has 28 CX-5's with 5 GT-Rs and 1 Signature. Most of the dealers up there tend to have just the Touring and Sport models.

Also, why do dealers in South Carolina buy black cars with black interiors. It is hot as heck down here and black on black cars don't help! And they never seem to sell.

Last edited:
What dealer we talking about? Bradshaw Mazda has 28 CX-5's with 5 GT-Rs and 1 Signature. Most of the dealers up there tend to have just the Touring and Sport models.

Also, why do dealers in South Carolina buy black cars with black interiors. It is hot as heck down here and black on black cars don't help! And they never seem to sell.

It is Bradshaw, and they now only have 4 signatures in stock, not 1. 5 GTRs, and the eternal blue one is tempting, although I think I want machine grey this time. Doesn*t matter, they can keep all them SOBs as they*re the highest priced dealer I*ve ever tried to deal with before, and it wasn*t even close...

We don't have any GT-R down in Louisiana and have only seen 1 Signature.

I have decided not to go with the GT-R. It leases out horribly. I'm not willing to go down to the GT due to the GT-R engine upgrade. Mazda did a great job with the CX-5.

Back