2019 GT-R Engine Performance Question

rebekahb

:
N/A
This is my first post in the forum. I turned in my Explorer Sport lease last week and am having a ton of trouble deciding what I should get. I started looking in November. I lease (15k/year) because I drive quite a bit for work and like to turn in every 3 years. My Sport had 355hp. We don't have a GT-R to drive here in New Orleans. I drove a 2018 GT and it wasn't bad. For those that have driven either, is there a noticeable difference between the 2018 GT and the 2019 GT-R as far as engine performance? I'm struggling to down grade in engine hp. I want to be able to punch it and not hear that joke of a whine in the engine trying to make power. This may be crazy but my other option is the 2019 BMW X5 50i. I'm just really struggling to pay the note on that even though my car allowance would cover 80% and I can afford it. It's just crazy to me that SUV's cost almost the same as our first rental property. If I decide to go this route I'm going to have to drive to either Houston or Florida as they don't have one here and I'm looking to decide within the week. I'm thinking I could save the other part of my allowance and the Mazda impressed me with the level of technology for the price. Any thoughts or input from Mazda owners would be greatly appreciated as this is my first Mazda.

Find a GTR to drive. You will NOT be disappointed. I just turned 1,000mi on mine and can't wipe the smile off my face.

Find a GTR to drive. You will NOT be disappointed. I just turned 1,000mi on mine and can't wipe the smile off my face.

I'm happy to hear that!!
My step dad lives outside of Tampa and they have one that I want there. He is headed over there to drive it in a few hours. The closest one I can find is in Houston:-/

You coming from 355hp, definitely recommend going with the GT-R.
love that 310lbs of torque!

...my other option is the 2019 BMW X5 50i....

Why would you consider the X5 and not the X3 if you're looking at the CX-5? They make an X3 M40i which is pretty quick. Like almost 2 sec's faster than the Mazda turbo to 60. It's also almost 2x the cost.

Why would you consider the X5 and not the X3 if you're looking at the CX-5? They make an X3 M40i which is pretty quick. Like almost 2 sec's faster than the Mazda turbo to 60. It's also almost 2x the cost.

The only reason I ended up interested in the X5 was because they redesigned the interior for 2019. The 2019 X3 has the same interior as the 2018 X5. Not a fan.

I do realize I am not comparing apples to apples. My car is my office and at the end of the day am having trouble justifying the cost of some of these SUV's to drive around the streets of New Orleans every day. Because I had driven something prior with more horsepower I just wanted some feedback from those who are driving the GT-R. Appreciate the responses so far!

...another point of reference - not apples to apples, but...

I had a 370 HP Corvette (3200 lbs) for 13 years. Before that I had a 350 HP (classic) Corvette for 22 years. I was used to having a decent amount of power. The oly time I was able to utilize the power to 70% of its capability was when a group of Corvette owners took to the outskirts of southern California for "runs", every few months or so.
I was very hesitant to buy anything with less horsepower but I can now say that the extra cost is not worth it to me when 99% of driving is done in a fairly densely-populated area. Yes, there are (very few) times when I wish I had more horsepower but I have come to realize that real joy is attained through excellent handling and a great interior. I did test-drive the 250 HP Mazda 6 and was more impressed by its interior than its acceleration, which is a step above that generated by my Mazda3.
In summation, my preference is a lighter vehicle with great handling and interior. Acceleration performance is no longer priority 1. I think you'll feel the same after driving a Mazda.

I was very hesitant to buy anything with less horsepower but I can now say that the extra cost is not worth it to me when 99% of driving is done in a fairly densely-populated area.

You made some great points in your comment. I think this one rang true the most and is at the pit of my struggle with the cost of the X5. Now, I have to convince my husband that we will be fine on the size. Not a fan of the CX-9.

I also came from a turbo, and find concept's comments to be right on. The 2.5NA is not slow, but it is definitely not quick. But all of the other goodness in the CX-5 more than makes up for the lack of power. If you're in the city most of the time, you'll barely notice. It has excellent throttle response.

Yout local Mazda dealer can order you a car though?!? Or even get one from another dealer for usually a small fee.

I agree with both Young-nyc and concept...can I do that?

I currently have an Explorer Sport and like concept said, I don't use the full power very often, however, when I do, it's intoxicating. Sure, it's nowhere near as fast as my foxbody stang, but it's leaps and bounds ahead of my wife's 09 CX9.

With the Ex though, it's nice to be able to lean into the throttle and let the turbos/torque do the work rather than kicking it down and revving it up.

I've been eyeing the CX5 for quite some time and it never really appealed to me until I heard about the Turbo. I think the most difficult thing would be to go "cold turkey" from the Ex Sport to a N/A CX5. If the CX5 drives like every other Mazda I've owned/driven, it's definitely going to feel nimble(much more than the Explorer) and the lower power might not be missed.

My 2 cents...

Ordered the turbo without ever test driving one, dealer only had the NA version. I figured I couldn*t go wrong with the added power. I am overly impressed with the turbo - the vehicle moves so effortless with slightest push of the gas pedal. Im still breaking it in - fuel economy so far- it will get better. 10.9L/ 100km average last tank. Less then 2K km on vehicle. Have not regretted it for a single second.

I drove both the NA and the turbo. I went with the signature turbo. Ive had Lexus, Acura, and Subaru.

I have 1500 miles on the CX5. The turbo is 100% worth it. Also its probably one of the best shifting transmissions Ive had. The power is there right when you need it, no gear hunting or lurches. Acceleration is effortless just as others describe.

I go up a lot of on ramps, go through traffic, etc and its awesome to have the torque/hp. My 15 outback was terrible in both transmission and engine power so this was a welcome upgrade.

For a year we looked and test drive many cars to replace my wife's daily. Audi, new and used BMW X3 and X5, Forester 2XT, Rav, sveral others and of course the CX5 NA and CX9 turbo. None were satifactory. They were either to big, too slow or numb handling. Enter the CX-5 Turbo. Test drove the Signature on Nov 29th & 30th and went home with it on Nov 30th. The only thing we wish it had was a manual transmission but that would be a unicorn in todays cars.

The Signature handles great for this class, interior feels high end... not BMW high end but it close and only cost half as much. The power is very good but not sports car good. Power comes on low but doesnt get very progressive as you get up to the top of the power band at 5300 RPM. My wife is lovong this car and has zero regrets buying it. I dont get to drive much but enjoy it when I do. Since I drive a 1 ton diesel pick up that's just as fast as the CX-5 and have a Z06 with 500+HP saying I enjoy the CX-5 is a real compliment.

This is my first post in the forum. I turned in my Explorer Sport lease last week and am having a ton of trouble deciding what I should get. I started looking in November. I lease (15k/year) because I drive quite a bit for work and like to turn in every 3 years. My Sport had 355hp. We don't have a GT-R to drive here in New Orleans. I drove a 2018 GT and it wasn't bad. For those that have driven either, is there a noticeable difference between the 2018 GT and the 2019 GT-R as far as engine performance? I'm struggling to down grade in engine hp. I want to be able to punch it and not hear that joke of a whine in the engine trying to make power. This may be crazy but my other option is the 2019 BMW X5 50i. I'm just really struggling to pay the note on that even though my car allowance would cover 80% and I can afford it. It's just crazy to me that SUV's cost almost the same as our first rental property. If I decide to go this route I'm going to have to drive to either Houston or Florida as they don't have one here and I'm looking to decide within the week. I'm thinking I could save the other part of my allowance and the Mazda impressed me with the level of technology for the price. Any thoughts or input from Mazda owners would be greatly appreciated as this is my first Mazda.

Dude. That non-turbo vs. turbo CX5 has a TEN MILE PER HOUR TRAP SPEED DIFFERENCE and a TWO SECOND DIFFERENCE 0-60. That's hella huge.

The CX5 Turbo and your Explorer Sport are pretty much a ringer for each other. As in, which driver is fatter will probably lose, or did you have 1/4 tank vs. 3/4 tank, etc. very VERY close by the numbers. If the Explorer is fine, so will the CX5T be, if it's not, the CX5T won't be either.

The non-turbo CX5 is fine for minimal requirements, as in, "it's safe". But that's about it.

...another point of reference - not apples to apples, but...

I had a 370 HP Corvette (3200 lbs) for 13 years. Before that I had a 350 HP (classic) Corvette for 22 years. I was used to having a decent amount of power. The oly time I was able to utilize the power to 70% of its capability was when a group of Corvette owners took to the outskirts of southern California for "runs", every few months or so.
I was very hesitant to buy anything with less horsepower but I can now say that the extra cost is not worth it to me when 99% of driving is done in a fairly densely-populated area. Yes, there are (very few) times when I wish I had more horsepower but I have come to realize that real joy is attained through excellent handling and a great interior. I did test-drive the 250 HP Mazda 6 and was more impressed by its interior than its acceleration, which is a step above that generated by my Mazda3.
In summation, my preference is a lighter vehicle with great handling and interior. Acceleration performance is no longer priority 1. I think you'll feel the same after driving a Mazda.

Welcome to the word-for-word realization that took me from a 2011 Z06 to a 2012 370Z.

Yout local Mazda dealer can order you a car though?!? Or even get one from another dealer for usually a small fee.

Yes, they could. My stepdad lives in Tampa and we have been wanting to visit him so it makes a good little vacay. My dealer here wasn't the best to work with.

Thank you all for your time and feedback!! It's greatly appreciated!! It's been nice to hear that everyone is enjoying the Turbo. I really enjoyed my Ex Sport because it was fun to have the power there when needed. I was very happy with it but had leased a 2013 and 2016 back to back so was just looking for a change. As of now, I'm thinking of the GT-R in White with the parchment interior. The only reason I'm not going with the Signature is I'm not a fan of the interior color.

It's incredible the amount of technology these cars have on the for half the price. The dealership text me this morning so if I can convince my husband to move we will start talking about pricing. MSRP of the one I looked at is $36,605.

Back