In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338

Thread: Factory reverse cam with Aftermarket HU

Registered Member

Mazda 5 Sport Nav

Factory reverse cam with Aftermarket HU

Hello forum

I've searched for days to find something about how to reuse the factory reverse camera with an aftermarket head unit but not found anything.

Can it be done?
    Or rather, how is it done?

Thank you

Registered Member

Mazda 5

I have never seen a factory one before, but is the factory camera quality really that good?

rewiring the video cable isn't that difficult, just a several signal wires inside a thick cable, but the copper wires inside each individual one are quite thin. Basically, +/- wire and several signal wires, the + wire goes to the brake light socket. Any reverse camera should work the same.

Registered Member

Mazda 5 Sport Nav

Thanks asian_xl
    I know how to wire a camera in, I was hoping someone would have experience with a factory navigation system camera wiring. The picture quality is fine, I have no desire to replace the camera.

Does anybody have or know where to get wiring diagrams from please?

Registered Member

Mazda 5

I bet 99% of the owner here has this OEM head unit without the reverse camera (see below) or have replaced with an aftermarket one

Registered Member

2012 Mazda 5

Quote Originally Posted by asian_xl View Post
    I bet 99% of the owner here has this OEM head unit without the reverse camera (see below) or have replaced with an aftermarket one

I've not seen any on the road yet with stock backup camera. Mandatory cameras laws came into affect after production stopped and few buy high end.
    Just figure out yourself what the wiring is.
    Cut the cable going into the camera and find what they do with a multimeter, unfortunately I don't have the wiring diagram.
    Last edited by Vasy; 02-21-2019 at 03:06 PM.

2012 Mazda5 Touring

Yup.

Poor people like me buy mazda5

I turn my shoulder to see whats behind me
    Worked for 117,000 miles so far

Quote Originally Posted by asian_xl View Post

Registered Member

Mazda 5 Sport Nav

Well I'm based in UK and I suspect we have quite different spec models. Plus mine is 2008 with a dvd drive satnav unit.

I'm hoping someone knows where I can get s wiring diagram to interpret the function of the camera rather than cutting into it.

Has anybody else tried this please?

Registered Member

Mazda 5

you sure the camera is OEM? I have backup beeping sensor pre-installed and I found it is just cheapo chinese unit with shitty wiring behind the bumper done by the dealer.

I understand your concern on having the reverse camera, but most owner here wouldn't bother with it and go straight aftermarket camera

Registered Member

Mazda 5 Sport Nav

Original specifications say it has a reverse camera and it's part of the owner's manual and software (various settings and operating options). So I'm sure it's factory not dealership. But I'll loose that with an aftermarket head unit and in the confines of Britain seeing behind you with a camera is hugely helpful.

I'll post if I find anything or if/how I get it to work.

Can anybody direct me to wiring diagrams for the 5 please?

Registered Member Silentnoise713's Avatar

2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring; 2009 Honda Fit Sport/Nav MT

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerboysmiler View Post
    Hello forum

I've searched for days to find something about how to reuse the factory reverse camera with an aftermarket head unit but not found anything.

Can it be done?
    Or rather, how is it done?

Thank you
    It can be done. A camera is nothing more then video feed + ground and a power/trigger. I have no experience with the OEM Navi unit but I*m 99.99% sure the connector is a clip type. OEM does not use RCA bc it technically is not secure from vibrations. Great for home use but not auto. Aftermarket stuff uses RCA bc it is universal. So, you will likely need to clip off and solder a RCA end to connect it to the aftermarket radio and splice in the power/trigger. It is unlikely you are going to remove camera to solder RCA end so be careful working in the cabin.

OR, it is also likely Mazda reuses the same connector for other Mazda products so you can look into, say Mazda CX_ converter cable. 1st step you need to do is remove the radio to see what it looks like.

Google image *mazda5 radio pin out*
    Last edited by Silentnoise713; 02-22-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Stuff for sale:
    YellowSpeed DPS Coilovers - cheap

^http://www.wingood.com/flagselect.asp

My Thread
    ^http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...oise713-Thread

Registered Member

Mazda 5 Sport Nav

Thanks for the help. Here is a pic of the back of the head unit. Lots of extra cables from this thing...

I'm not sure which is the camera feed though. Or how the reverse action works. I'll look into the CX adapter.

Registered Member Silentnoise713's Avatar

2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring; 2009 Honda Fit Sport/Nav MT

Take off the hatch door panel, lift the weather cover, and see if you can identify the backup camera's wiring color code. This will give you a head start on what to look for at the back of the headunit. Btw, can you post a pic of the top of the headunit casing to see who makes it?

Reverse engineer below (remove space). Has reference to back-up cam pin out and convertible cable. Looks like the OEM camera is 6V so you may need a step down converter if the aftermarket radio supplies 12V or you want to tap into a different 12V source.

https://forum .mazda6club.com/electrical-hvac-lighting-audio/384361-how-install-backup-camera-bose-navigation-system.html

Last edited by Silentnoise713; 02-27-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda 5 Sport Nav

Thanks. Yes here's a pic, doesn't say much...

Registered Member

Mazda 5 Sport Nav

Oh, Sanyo. I didn't know they even made car equipment.