AutoNation sells Mazda franchise

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring 2016.5
I search several pages on this forum before posting, but didn't find anything on this topic. I also did a Google search on this as well, again no results. I know it's been done as the AutoNation where we purchased my wife's CX-5 has removed all of their Mazda signs and inventory. Seeing this I stopped in the parts department (now only Ford) and was told that all but two AutoNation locations nation wide have sold the Mazda franchise.

Has anyone else heard of this, or know the "rest of the story?"

AutoNation is pretty big in Texas and I believe also in California. They carry different brand of car dealers including Toyota and VW.

AutoNation is pretty big in Texas and I believe also in California. They carry different brand of car dealers including Toyota and VW.

Yep. Here they have Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick/GMC, Ford, Honda, Hyundai and Toyota.

Just seemed pretty sudden and without notice that the Mazda franchise was dropped.

In the San Diego area alone, there are 4-5 Mazda dealerships. Why would I go anywhere else when buying a new car? Accourding to Consumer Reports, Mazda is the third (out of 29) most reliable car company. If Autonation doesn't want to sell Mazda, it's their loss. Mazda is on a roll, this year - the CX5 and CX9 were among Car & Driver's best SUVs, and the new Mazda 3 is getting rave reviews from many magazine testers, and that's before the Skyactive X engine is available.

Ok do then how many dealerships were lost? That would be the real number. Just Google there is one near me, a Ford dealer.
Ohio is Mazda country. There are 6 dealers within like 40 miles of my house.

Ohio is Mazda country. There are 6 dealers within like 40 miles of my house.

Wish that was the same for me. The closest dealer from my house is in San Antonio, which is about 150 miles away. Hell, Toyota has a manufacturing plant closer, not by much but closer.
I guess if Ohio is Mazda country, Texas must be truck country. ;)

Well we know that. [emoji106]

4 of those dealer near me are within 14 miles. Of course I didn't know this pre Mazda owner.

AutoNation has a presence here, none of them are Mazda. I didn't think they did anything with Mazda.

I bought mine at a locally family owned dealer "Mazda of Lakewood" which was then bought out by McDonald dealer group. Only other Mazda dealer near me is Groove. I've had mixed dealings with them and McDonald which has overall left me "meh" feeling.

I suspect it has something to do with the headlines below. Mazda must be at the bottom of their profitability ranks, which isn't surprising considering that Mazda is terrible at offering incentives to bring customers into the showroom. Pile on Mazda's interest in remodeling all of their showrooms for a more premium feel, and AutoNation probably felt the timing was perfect to jump ship before investing any more money into the brand.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/autonation-announces-restructuring-14827219

https://www.autonews.com/article/20170123/RETAIL06/301239859/mazda-dealers-want-help-lifting-profits

Overall I don't care. Good riddance to another "no haggle" dealer.

Last edited:
AutoNation has a presence here, none of them are Mazda. I didn't think they did anything with Mazda.

I bought mine at a locally family owned dealer "Mazda of Lakewood" which was then bought out by McDonald dealer group. Only other Mazda dealer near me is Groove. I've had mixed dealings with them and McDonald which has overall left me "meh" feeling.

The dealers in San Antonio are not affliated with AutoNation and appear to be independent. In my humble opinion, that's a good thing. I bought my Tacoma from AutoNation several years ago, but anytime I HAVE to go to a Toyota dealer I drive another 45 miles to avoid AutoNation Toyota

It was the same with my wife's CX-5. I've been putting off the recall on the rear hatch struts just because of the terrible service at AutoNation Mazda in my city. I do most if not all the routine maintenance on my wife's CX-5 so the seperation of AutoNation and Mazda doesn't bother me. Just curious as to why the sell was unannounced and who purchased it.

I suspect it has something to do with the headlines below. Mazda must be at the bottom of their profitability ranks, which isn't surprising considering that Mazda is terrible at offering incentives to bring customers into the showroom. Pile on Mazda's interest in remodeling all of their showrooms for a more premium feel, and AutoNation probably felt the timing was perfect to jump ship.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/autonation-announces-restructuring-14827219

https://www.autonews.com/article/20170123/RETAIL06/301239859/mazda-dealers-want-help-lifting-profits

Man, I posted my last reply just as your post hit. Thanks for the links. Now the question is (or maybe it's in the articles) who bought the Mazda franchise in my area? And, will the service be better

Thanks again

Back