Paint chip fix options

lurker

:
2019 CX-5 TR
Not another thread about soft paint on the soul red crystal!

I've read plenty about the complaints before buying my 2019 touring in red, and definitely prepared myself for the day I would get my first rock chip. I was hoping it would be more than a week after the purchase but oh well. The chip is on the hood, quite large (size of my pinky), and it looks grey, which I assume means it goes down to the metal. I'm quite worried about it rusting but I'm not in a snowy region. How long do I have to fix this before it rusts?

I've been doing a lot of research about my options for the fix, and it seems like there are three choices:

1. Dr ColorChip. I've read good reviews for this - even read that it's better than the OEM touch up pen. The basic kit is $40 which seems very affordable. Obviously I'll be getting more chips in the future, and buying this kit and touching up seems like a good investment. The only negative I can think of is that the lack of clear coat will mean over time the touch up paint might fade quicker, which means it'll be more noticeable as the car ages.

2. Repainting. Would only apply if I ended up with lots of paint chips. The estimates vary wildly, I've seen some people say $300 while others say several thousands. It seems like the red is a very hard color to match, which probably means it'll be in the thousands. It also means there'll have to be some blending which I really don't like. And the fact that there is no turning back really makes this option unattractive for me.

3. PPF. With and without filling in the paint chip. I got quoted around $1500 to $2500 do the front area (full hood, bumper, lights, fender, mirrors). I'd consider it if I got the top of the line signature trim but it seems pretty expensive since the car is only $26,000? Or can it be justified since it might help with the resale value? And eventually there'll be a big enough rock that'll go through the film, at which point I'm not sure what happens. Do you have to remove the film to fix the chip and then reapply the film? That would mean another thousand or so for the labor every time the film gets punctured, right?

Any other options? I'd be interested in pure anti-rust fixes that leave the cosmetic chip.

I paid like $700 to have half of my hood, fenders (full mirrors), and front bumper done with PPF. Best investment thus far!

I had some PPF on my last CX-5 which worked well but I didn't have it on the hood, as I had a hood deflector installed, and unfortunately I got a few tiny paint chips and scratches just above the hood deflector. On my new CX-5 I went with more extensive PPF coverage, including front bumper, half way up the hood, front fenders to middle of wheel wells, mirrors, A pillars and leading edge of roof up to the sun roof. Around $1400 all up and an excellent long term investment in my thinking. I opted for the OEM rear bumper guard instead of PPF in that area.

I have heard good things about Dr. Colorchip and plan on getting it for my CX-5 (in silver). No chips but a small scrap from someone in a parking garage.

Those prices seem high. I was charged $1500 for my CX-9 and that was the entire front end+mirrors and such. One option that I should have thought about is most dealers will do it if you just bring them the kit. For example 3M sells the CX-9 kit itself for ~$500 and my dealers said they would install the kit for $500. Something to consider.

I drive a 2014 Soul Red and at 48,000 miles I have no visible chips. Does the later Red paint get chipped easier? Ed

Dr. Colorchip is great for what it is.

An installer who would install PPF without paint correction, fixing the chips as you say, isn*t an installer I would trust or let work on my car. They need to be done, and should be included in the price. So should the labor as good film has a 10 year warranty. With the PPF, the installer is just as important as picking a good film, and one that doesnt do a wash, clay bar, paint correction, and then the film is one Id steer clear of as the two good
Ones here wouldnt do the work without paint correction as you mentioned...

Last edited:
Dr. Colorchip is a great option. The problem is that even the best touch-up paint is still noticeable if you look at it closely enough on colours like soul red or machine grey. For a simple and quick anti-rust fix, you can use nail polish to fill in the chip with clear lacquer. It'll prevent it from rusting (though I think the chip may have just gone down to the primer, not the metal).

I had PPF thrown in with the deal when I bought my car, but I wish I had sprung for the whole front end. The kit I have includes full front bumper and side mirror caps, but only goes up to 1/3 of the hood and a small part of the fenders. Nothing for the headlights, A-pillars, or chrome trim on grille, emblem and lower chrome trim. If I were you I'd start saving for a respray on the hood, fender and bumper, as well as a PPF application immediately after the paint cures (assuming you plan to keep the car for a long time). While saving for the paint/PPF, you can do your research on local body shops with experience painting soul red crystal cars.

Dr. Colorchip is a great option. The problem is that even the best touch-up paint is still noticeable if you look at it closely enough on colours like soul red or machine grey. For a simple and quick anti-rust fix, you can use nail polish to fill in the chip with clear lacquer. It'll prevent it from rusting (though I think the chip may have just gone down to the primer, not the metal).

I had PPF thrown in with the deal when I bought my car, but I wish I had sprung for the whole front end. The kit I have includes full front bumper and side mirror caps, but only goes up to 1/3 of the hood and a small part of the fenders. Nothing for the headlights, A-pillars, or chrome trim on grille, emblem and lower chrome trim. If I were you I'd start saving for a respray on the hood, fender and bumper, as well as a PPF application immediately after the paint cures (assuming you plan to keep the car for a long time). While saving for the paint/PPF, you can do your research on local body shops with experience painting soul red crystal cars.

Interesting - I haven't heard of the nail polish trick. Can you also use a touch up fix first to match the color and the apply a clear nail polish for a matching shine?

At the moment I'm really leaning towards putting a full front ppf application.

Last edited:
Interesting - I haven't heard of the nail polish trick. Can you also use a touch up fix first to match the color and the apply a clear nail polish for a matching shine?

At the moment I'm really leaning towards putting a full front ppf application.

Yeah, you could do that (touch up paint, then nail polish after the paint dries), but the nail polish is more of a temporary fix. I don't think it's as durable as automotive clear coat.

Try the touch up paint, and if you're happy with the way it matches, you can opt for a full front PPF application. Ideally you'd get all paint chips taken care of by a body shop, but it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Seven little chips on the hood (4K miles, 4 months old). Machine grey. Going to try the Dr Colorchip method.

Seven little chips on the hood (4K miles, 4 months old). Machine grey. Going to try the Dr Colorchip method.

Post pics when you do! I have the same colour and would be interested in seeing how well the paint matches.

Has anyone used plastic dip for protection? The clear bra looks like a b**** to remove and can pull up paint if left on too long.

Back