Bumper trims falling off

chris76

:
2018 CX-9 Signature
Just curious if anyone else with the add-on bumper trims have had issues with them falling off. Ours were, so I finally removed them today. I tried to get them replaced under warranty and found out they were on quality hold. Clearly a lot of people are having this issue. What is happening is the double stick tape that holds the trim pieces on fails due to exposure to dirt and heat. It is a very poor design.

Are you talking about the additional chrome front and rear bumper add on's? My 2018 GT came with those. The rear piece on mine was coming off at one of the corners as one of the plastic rivet fasteners had already broken off so I just replaced that myself.

Yes, the dealer-installed add ons. On ours, about 70% of the adhesive tape had failed, so the entire piece was pulling away from the bumper. On the front bumper, one of the eyelets that accepts the plastic rivet to hold it on to the bumper had broken in half, because the tape failed and the entire plastic piece was vibrating.

I noticed on the front add on piece on mine they used long screws to attach it but they are not the proper size and stick out half an inch. Amazing how much half-assed there is out there in the world. I'm taking it in for them to re-do a tinted window that was not done right and they are going to fix this as well. I may have them de-activate the daytime running lights as well. I'd hate to have to replace that light set up.

Back