Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

Quote Originally Posted by 2001birdowner View Post
    That screen shot of the FSM doesnít indicate if the engine should idling or not. Should it be?
    Read it again:

4. Adjust the ATF level.
    Ö
    (3) Remove the dipstick and wipe the ATF off using a rag while leaving the engine idling.

Registered Member

Cx5

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Read it again:

4. Adjust the ATF level.
    Ö
    (3) Remove the dipstick and wipe the ATF off using a rag while leaving the engine idling.
    Yup totally missed that. I blame it on the long weekend. Sorry for the useless post and Thanks!

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

I have a 2019 Signature, and I was starting to wonder if it was just me. I came from a CVT most recently so I thought that was maybe just getting use to a normal transmission again, but going into and out of 1st is NOT pleasant a good bit of the time. It throws me forward then back into the seat, quite noticeably. Guess I'll need to bring it up to the dealership. I have less than 300 miles on the odometer at this point.

Registered Member

Cx5

Quote Originally Posted by CSEngineer View Post
    I have a 2019 Signature, and I was starting to wonder if it was just me. I came from a CVT most recently so I thought that was maybe just getting use to a normal transmission again, but going into and out of 1st is NOT pleasant a good bit of the time. It throws me forward then back into the seat, quite noticeably. Guess I'll need to bring it up to the dealership. I have less than 300 miles on the odometer at this point.
    Is the issue there when cold and at operating tempeatue?

I have a reserve that has a shift flare on the 1-2 shift but it goes away when the vehicle is at operating temperature. Overall, Iím not impressed with this transmission under normal driving conditions when compared to the first gen. The light to moderate throttle around town shifts ( 1-2, 4-3 and 3-2) are just sloppy.

However, when closer to full throttle with more aggressive driving, it still performs well.

I have a reserve that has a shift flare on the 1-2 shift but it goes away when the vehicle is at operating temperature. Overall, Iím not impressed with this transmission under normal driving conditions when compared to the first gen. The light to moderate throttle around town shifts ( 1-2, 4-3 and 3-2) are just sloppy.

However, when closer to full throttle with more aggressive driving, it still performs well.
    ATF volume is more sensitive to the temperature. We've learned Mazda seems to underfill ATF from factory based on many reports here, added with low temperature, you could experience those shift flare issue sometimes caused by low ATF level. If you really want to resolve the issue, you should check ATF level according to proper procedure at specified ATF temperature. Very likely you'd find your ATF is under-filled from factory, and after topped off the ATF with FZ, your shift flare problem could be gone.

Registered Member

ATF volume is more sensitive to the temperature. We've learned Mazda seems to underfill ATF from factory based on many reports here, added with low temperature, you could experience those shift flare issue sometimes caused by low ATF level. If you really want to resolve the issue, you should check ATF level according to proper procedure at specified ATF temperature. Very likely you'd find your ATF is under-filled from factory, and after topped off the ATF with FZ, your shift flare problem could be gone.
    Yes it does improve when the car is warmer, but with it 90+ in Texas right now, it isn't "Cold" so to speak. I had a Honda Odyssey do that horrible cold weather clunking before, kept waiting for the transmission to just fall out.

But yes, quick acceleration (for which this Turbo does amazingly) the shifts are snappy and clean, but slow to moderate around town, or worst I've found is a gradual acceleration up a hill, it lulls then surges then suddenly catches. Not a "premium" experience at all.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Yes it does improve when the car is warmer, but with it 90+ in Texas right now, it isn't "Cold" so to speak. I had a Honda Odyssey do that horrible cold weather clunking before, kept waiting for the transmission to just fall out.

But yes, quick acceleration (for which this Turbo does amazingly) the shifts are snappy and clean, but slow to moderate around town, or worst I've found is a gradual acceleration up a hill, it lulls then surges then suddenly catches. Not a "premium" experience at all.
    With 90+ temperatures your 0w-20 oil still performs well? I know the car is made for this oil weight but I find it amazing that such a thin oil provides enough lubrication. About the acceleration experience, I think it is because of the computer controlled accelerator. It takes more finesse on the gas pedal than the old linear cable linkage. It almost feels like the gas pedal is exponential, going slow and then too fast without all that much input on the gas pedal at low speed.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    With 90+ temperatures your 0w-20 oil still performs well?
    You've got to remember that the normal operational temperature of the oil in your engine is 185+, anything below that is cold.

Registered Member

Cx5

I do wonder about the fluid level and plan on checking it. Mazda makes that process incredibly inconvenient though. Looks even worse with the additional plumbing for the turbo.

My dealer is also 2 hours away so thatís not convenient either.

Iíll have to prioritize this after putting pads and rotors on my wifeís 16.5 grand touring.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    With 90+ temperatures your 0w-20 oil still performs well? I know the car is made for this oil weight but I find it amazing that such a thin oil provides enough lubrication. About the acceleration experience, I think it is because of the computer controlled accelerator. It takes more finesse on the gas pedal than the old linear cable linkage. It almost feels like the gas pedal is exponential, going slow and then too fast without all that much input on the gas pedal at low speed.
    I've been running 5w-20 (don't need the 0W where it gets to freezing only twice a winter), for years with no issues. My Mazda5, Honda Odyssey, and latest RAV4 all used it.

Speaking of artificial throttle feel, the RAV4 was a 2016 Hybrid and both the throttle and brake are electronic, TOTALLY artificial feel and a PAIN to drive smoothly. After 3 years in that thing I keep throwing my family around in the CX-5, because the throttle response (despite the off-the-line electric torque), was like "Throttle... wait for it... Oh you want me to go?" And the brakes were "Hmm you've asked to stop, should I try regenerative or friction? Let's try this... oh you mashed the pedal more... EMERGENCY STOP!"

Quote Originally Posted by yugrus View Post
    You've got to remember that the normal operational temperature of the oil in your engine is 185+, anything below that is cold.
    Agreed, and even in the Texas sun it only gets that hot mid-day ;-)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

(don't need the 0W where it gets to freezing only twice a winter)
    Not really true. The viscosity of even 0w engine oil is too thick to lubricate properly when it's below operating temperature. The large majority of engine wear happens at cold startup, and to reduce that wear as much as possible (can't avoid some wearing), you want the thinnest oil you can get when cold that still provides proper lubrication when hot. All cars can benefit from 0w oil. My Integra calls for 5w-30, but I've been using Mobil1 synthetic 0w-30 for over a decade now. Car has 369,000 miles on it now. And I use OEM Mazda 0w-20 in our CX-5 with 92K miles. I just recently got a Blackstone UOA and they said everything looked good and to go 8,000 miles on this next oil drain interval.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 368K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 88K miles, the family hauler!

Registered Member

I have a reserve that has a shift flare on the 1-2 shift but it goes away when the vehicle is at operating temperature. Overall, I*m not impressed with this transmission under normal driving conditions when compared to the first gen. The light to moderate throttle around town shifts ( 1-2, 4-3 and 3-2) are just sloppy.

This is exactly my experience.

The longer I own my new car, the more I think the transmission is very sloppily setup to shift.

If you're in stop and go traffic, its even 10x worse. Rough shifts from 1 > 2, engine braking at low speeds just makes it even more annoying.

However, whenever I open the throttle and drive 'normally', the transmission is smooth as silk.. no hesitations, no bucking, no jerking, nothing. Its ALL at low-speeds/ for me where I experience it.

Registered Member

IN the past, I've had a previous Mazda 6 that was underfilled in the tranny and it exhibited the exact same behaviours as my CX5 is right now.

When I take it in for its first service soon, I'll have them check the transmission levels and top if needed. I'll check back in here once I get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by mac.mc78 View Post
    IN the past, I've had a previous Mazda 6 that was underfilled in the tranny and it exhibited the exact same behaviours as my CX5 is right now.

When I take it in for its first service soon, I'll have them check the transmission levels and top if needed. I'll check back in here once I get it done.
    Yes, definitely keep us posted!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567