2018 CX-5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/Jerk/Lurch

Yeah, Mazda's factory service manual makes the ATF level check sounded vey easy, but it can't be done as described.

Do you top it off through the dipstick hole? I hate the thought of driving around with any of the fluids low...they provide a cooling function in addition to a lubricating one.

I've been thinking of getting one of those RF-to-Smartphone OBDII readers, anyway. Maybe this is a good reason to do so.

As an aside, because I've read a bunch of comments with a "blue coolant light" reference in them: My Reserve does not have a coolant low-temp light. In fact, the 2019 manual does not show a coolant low-temp light in any dash style...just an overheating warning light. The Instrument Cluster and Display (and Warning Lights) are discussed starting at Page 4-12 if you're curious.

I only throw that out there because no one else has said anything about there being a change in the new MY and someone might eventually ask where theirs is...or I'm overlooking it in my car (I've looked when it's cold)...or the bulb is not functioning...or you already know it are are referring to the light out of habit.

Thanks for the help!

Do you top it off through the dipstick hole? I hate the thought of driving around with any of the fluids low...they provide a cooling function in addition to a lubricating one.

I've been thinking of getting one of those RF-to-Smartphone OBDII readers, anyway. Maybe this is a good reason to do so.

As an aside, because I've read a bunch of comments with a "blue coolant light" reference in them: My Reserve does not have a coolant low-temp light. In fact, the 2019 manual does not show a coolant low-temp light in any dash style...just an overheating warning light. The Instrument Cluster and Display (and Warning Lights) are discussed starting at Page 4-12 if you're curious.

I only throw that out there because no one else has said anything about there being a change in the new MY and someone might eventually ask where theirs is...or I'm overlooking it in my car (I've looked when it's cold)...or the bulb is not functioning...or you already know it are are referring to the light out of habit.

Thanks for the help!
That make sense as your gen-2 CX-5 now has an engine coolant temperature gauge among one of the selective displays. You may need to find a good OBDII reader which can display true ATF temperature.

Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

That make sense as your gen-2 CX-5 now has an engine coolant temperature gauge among one of the selective displays. You may need to find a good OBDII reader which can display true ATF temperature.

Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

I did not know that prior models didn't have temp gauges. There are three dash types in the 2019 CX-5. My car has the multi function display (scrolls with the Info button) in the middle of the speedometer, and the analog coolant temp/fuel gauges are together in a dedicated gauge. The other dash types have the MultiFunction display in the Fuel Gauge (coolant temp is in 2 of the 6 display options).

Regarding the OBDII reader, I bookmarked that thread months ago for future reference. Comment #49 said that FORScan app displays tranny temp. One of the readers folks liked was https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned).

I'm still thinking about it. I look at the Android documentation FORScan info and just at first glance, have no idea what each of the displays are actually measuring. It seems that some degree of technical knowledge is required, that a regular user like me cannot just plug it in and know what he is looking at, and the documentation does not tell you that.

I did not know that prior models didn't have temp gauges. There are three dash types in the 2019 CX-5. My car has the multi function display (scrolls with the Info button) in the middle of the speedometer, and the analog coolant temp/fuel gauges are together in a dedicated gauge. The other dash types have the MultiFunction display in the Fuel Gauge (coolant temp is in 2 of the 6 display options).

You are correct, at least for my 17. It's just not always visible like yours.

You are correct, at least for my 17. It's just not always visible like yours.

It's interesting how they inset that Info screen in the speedometer on some models so you can still see your speed as you scroll through the displays. But there's nothing there I would want displayed for an extended period of time, except maybe the compass (and that's only for entertainment value). Everything else is Trip Odometer/Outside Temp/Miles-to-Maintenance.

They really could have done more with the HUD. With the speed being displayed on the windshield, I hardly glance at the dash. Before, I would naturally take everything in as I looked at my speedometer. Now I have to try to remember to look at the temp gauge. And I'd like an oil pressure gauge.

I have the same issue. I can hear clicks/clunks when downshifting to 1st to a complete stop. The only way I can describe the sound is it sounds like the gears changing on a 10-speed bicycle.

I have a 2019 GT-R with about 1500 miles on it.

Same as above. I noticed it fairly early on. Its always when coming to a stop and especially if Im going from 50+ mph to a complete stop. Usually the shift from 3rd to 2nd and 1st is kind of clunky.

I have the same issue. I can hear clicks/clunks when downshifting to 1st to a complete stop. The only way I can describe the sound is it sounds like the gears changing on a 10-speed bicycle.

I have a 2019 GT-R with about 1500 miles on it.

This sucks. I have a GT-Reserve and have not noticed it (about 1,800 miles on it). Has it been this way since Day 1 or did it develop over time?

This sucks. I have a GT-Reserve and have not noticed it (about 1,800 miles on it). Has it been this way since Day 1 or did it develop over time?
I never noticed it until I had the volume on the radio down the other day. I can replicate the noise fairly regularly by maintaining 40-45 mph in 4th gear, then come to a firm complete stop to force the transmission to down shift quickly to 1st. Its a faint click or clunk noise that's hard to describe but it's there.

Here is the ATF dipstick from CX-5:

Here is official ATF level measurement procedure from Mazda factory service manual:

Of course we can't afford Mazda's M-MDS system. But we can use a cheap OBDII reader to read engine coolant temperature; or a fancier one which can read true ATF temperature. Or at least we can use coolant temperature warning light in instrunment cluster as people have found out when the blue light is off, the engine coolant temperature is around 122F.

That screen shot of the FSM doesnt indicate if the engine should idling or not. Should it be?

That screen shot of the FSM doesnt indicate if the engine should idling or not. Should it be?
Read it again:

4. Adjust the ATF level.

(3) Remove the dipstick and wipe the ATF off using a rag while leaving the engine idling.

I have a 2019 Signature, and I was starting to wonder if it was just me. I came from a CVT most recently so I thought that was maybe just getting use to a normal transmission again, but going into and out of 1st is NOT pleasant a good bit of the time. It throws me forward then back into the seat, quite noticeably. Guess I'll need to bring it up to the dealership. I have less than 300 miles on the odometer at this point.

I have a 2019 Signature, and I was starting to wonder if it was just me. I came from a CVT most recently so I thought that was maybe just getting use to a normal transmission again, but going into and out of 1st is NOT pleasant a good bit of the time. It throws me forward then back into the seat, quite noticeably. Guess I'll need to bring it up to the dealership. I have less than 300 miles on the odometer at this point.

Is the issue there when cold and at operating tempeatue?

I have a reserve that has a shift flare on the 1-2 shift but it goes away when the vehicle is at operating temperature. Overall, Im not impressed with this transmission under normal driving conditions when compared to the first gen. The light to moderate throttle around town shifts ( 1-2, 4-3 and 3-2) are just sloppy.

However, when closer to full throttle with more aggressive driving, it still performs well.

Is the issue there when cold and at operating tempeatue?

I have a reserve that has a shift flare on the 1-2 shift but it goes away when the vehicle is at operating temperature. Overall, Im not impressed with this transmission under normal driving conditions when compared to the first gen. The light to moderate throttle around town shifts ( 1-2, 4-3 and 3-2) are just sloppy.

However, when closer to full throttle with more aggressive driving, it still performs well.
ATF volume is more sensitive to the temperature. We've learned Mazda seems to underfill ATF from factory based on many reports here, added with low temperature, you could experience those shift flare issue sometimes caused by low ATF level. If you really want to resolve the issue, you should check ATF level according to proper procedure at specified ATF temperature. Very likely you'd find your ATF is under-filled from factory, and after topped off the ATF with FZ, your shift flare problem could be gone.

ATF volume is more sensitive to the temperature. We've learned Mazda seems to underfill ATF from factory based on many reports here, added with low temperature, you could experience those shift flare issue sometimes caused by low ATF level. If you really want to resolve the issue, you should check ATF level according to proper procedure at specified ATF temperature. Very likely you'd find your ATF is under-filled from factory, and after topped off the ATF with FZ, your shift flare problem could be gone.

Yes it does improve when the car is warmer, but with it 90+ in Texas right now, it isn't "Cold" so to speak. I had a Honda Odyssey do that horrible cold weather clunking before, kept waiting for the transmission to just fall out.

But yes, quick acceleration (for which this Turbo does amazingly) the shifts are snappy and clean, but slow to moderate around town, or worst I've found is a gradual acceleration up a hill, it lulls then surges then suddenly catches. Not a "premium" experience at all.

Yes it does improve when the car is warmer, but with it 90+ in Texas right now, it isn't "Cold" so to speak. I had a Honda Odyssey do that horrible cold weather clunking before, kept waiting for the transmission to just fall out.

But yes, quick acceleration (for which this Turbo does amazingly) the shifts are snappy and clean, but slow to moderate around town, or worst I've found is a gradual acceleration up a hill, it lulls then surges then suddenly catches. Not a "premium" experience at all.

With 90+ temperatures your 0w-20 oil still performs well? I know the car is made for this oil weight but I find it amazing that such a thin oil provides enough lubrication. About the acceleration experience, I think it is because of the computer controlled accelerator. It takes more finesse on the gas pedal than the old linear cable linkage. It almost feels like the gas pedal is exponential, going slow and then too fast without all that much input on the gas pedal at low speed.

I do wonder about the fluid level and plan on checking it. Mazda makes that process incredibly inconvenient though. Looks even worse with the additional plumbing for the turbo.

My dealer is also 2 hours away so thats not convenient either.

Ill have to prioritize this after putting pads and rotors on my wifes 16.5 grand touring.

With 90+ temperatures your 0w-20 oil still performs well? I know the car is made for this oil weight but I find it amazing that such a thin oil provides enough lubrication. About the acceleration experience, I think it is because of the computer controlled accelerator. It takes more finesse on the gas pedal than the old linear cable linkage. It almost feels like the gas pedal is exponential, going slow and then too fast without all that much input on the gas pedal at low speed.

I've been running 5w-20 (don't need the 0W where it gets to freezing only twice a winter), for years with no issues. My Mazda5, Honda Odyssey, and latest RAV4 all used it.

Speaking of artificial throttle feel, the RAV4 was a 2016 Hybrid and both the throttle and brake are electronic, TOTALLY artificial feel and a PAIN to drive smoothly. After 3 years in that thing I keep throwing my family around in the CX-5, because the throttle response (despite the off-the-line electric torque), was like "Throttle... wait for it... Oh you want me to go?" And the brakes were "Hmm you've asked to stop, should I try regenerative or friction? Let's try this... oh you mashed the pedal more... EMERGENCY STOP!"

You've got to remember that the normal operational temperature of the oil in your engine is 185+, anything below that is cold.

Agreed, and even in the Texas sun it only gets that hot mid-day ;-)

Back