Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

2017 BMW X1

For what itís worth, my BMW does this too. I think its just an annoying habit of these turbo-fours tuned with a sporty throttle response. They can probably soften it with a tune, but Iím guessing itíd come at the expense of some acceleration performance.

I donít think there are enough dots connecting this to CD, especially considering that feature doesnít even come into play until cruising speeds.

Registered Member

Mazda CX 5 2019

Quote Originally Posted by jaggrey View Post
    If we're thinking the cylinder deactivation is to blame, then the next question is are turbo others experiencing this? Cuz I don't believe the turbos have cylinder deactivation.
    Yes, my 2019 GTR does this as well

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Is the following correct?

2019 normally aspirated models have CD, the turbos do not.
    Therefore, the NA and T have different engines AND different transmissions.

Or do the turbos use the same tranny?

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

They both use the same gearbox hardware but whether the settings are the same, you*d have to ask Mazda. They probably do but that is my opinion, not my knowledge..

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    They both use the same gearbox hardware but whether the settings are the same, you*d have to ask Mazda. They probably do but that is my opinion, not my knowledge..
    This is why I asked:

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    From available document on cylinder deactivation, Mazda says:

MAZDAíS NEW CYLINDER-DEACTIVATION OFFERS IMPROVED FUEL-EFFICIENCY WITHOUT SACRIFICING DRIVING PERFORMANCE

To control vibration caused by cylinder deactivation, the added components with additional software controlling them may cause some side effects making transmission jerking during the low speed.
    I'm just trying to correlate the anecdotes people are reporting with different yrs/models having this problem to find the common factors.

Registered Member

Cx5

Quote Originally Posted by 2001birdowner View Post
    Something that Iím noticing on the 19, that I donít really find on the 16.5 that is more annoying(and concerning) is that it seems confused when going into second under some scenarios.

Scenario 1:
    light acceleration from a stop, lift off the throttle slightly as it goes into 2nd, then get back on the throttle- the RPMs jump for a second then drop down as it engages into 2nd.

Scenario 2:
    Slowing down to make a right turn with no stop sign, lift off the throttle, make the turn, get back on the throttle, the RPMs jump for a second then drop down as it engages into 2nd.

When the RPMs jump, itís around 500 over where it engages.

If I donít lift of the throttle, the RPMs donít jump. However, it seems like itís a softer shift into second than the rear of the gears.
    Is this what folks are describing in this thread or is it the rough/jerky downshift into 1st when slowly rolling to a stop? My 19 has the jerky downshift into first. I donít notice it on the 16.5.

What Iím describing in my earlier post above almost makes it feel like the transmission is slipping. Iím also wondering if what Iím expericing is he transmission actually jumping to 3rd instead of 2nd like I thought. If I put it in manual mode, this is not an issue.

Registered Member

Cx 5 GT AWD

Exactly what you mentioned in your earlier post..

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

Quote Originally Posted by jaggrey View Post
    If we're thinking the cylinder deactivation is to blame, then the next question is are turbo others experiencing this? Cuz I don't believe the turbos have cylinder deactivation.
    Yes, cylinder deactivation is only featured on naturally aspirated SkyActiv-G 2.5L since 2018 MY. 2.5T does not have CD. So far every such complaint including OP is from 2018 / 2019 CX-5 2.5L NA with CD.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    For what itís worth, my BMW does this too. I think its just an annoying habit of these turbo-fours tuned with a sporty throttle response. They can probably soften it with a tune, but Iím guessing itíd come at the expense of some acceleration performance.

I donít think there are enough dots connecting this to CD, especially considering that feature doesnít even come into play until cruising speeds.
    But all complaints weíve seen here are from 2018+ MY CX-5 non-turbo 2.5L Touring and GT. So your assumption is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by jvar10 View Post
    Yes, my 2019 GTR does this as well
    Youíre the first out of many active 2.5T owners here is having such complaint. You could be experiencing something different like jmhumr described above.

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Is the following correct?

2019 normally aspirated models have CD, the turbos do not.
    Therefore, the NA and T have different engines AND different transmissions.

Or do the turbos use the same tranny?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    This is why I asked:

I'm just trying to correlate the anecdotes people are reporting with different yrs/models having this problem to find the common factors.
    Based on official Mazda document I posted earlier, Mazda added a fulcrum inside the 6-speed SkyActiv-Drive transmission to fight against the vibration from cylinder deactivation.

So yes, the transmissions are different between 2.5L NA with CD and 2.5T in addition to different gear ratios and other reinforcements.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Yes, cylinder deactivation is only featured on naturally aspirated SkyActiv-G 2.5L since 2018 MY. 2.5T does not have CD. So far every such complaint including OP is from 2018 / 2019 CX-5 2.5L NA with CD.
    nope, 2014 Touring here. I can feel jerkiness/lurching after backing out of the driveway after a cold start, putting it in Drive and even just pressing the accelerator slightly.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 368K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 88K miles, the family hauler!

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 GT awd with PP

2018 GT AWD here. After reversing then going into drive, there is a jerk. Seems to have only started up this winter (cold weather but northern California cold), and from what I remember only on start up after sitting for a while. It doesn't feel like the tranny is slipping, as it engages immediately. It just seems to send too much power as soon as you press the accelerator, then it backs off and behaves regularly. Or maybe there's lock up due to cold. Not sure.

I haven't had any other tranny issues described in this thread. Except maybe i think this tranny is a bit rough between lower gear changes. But i think that's just the nature of this Mazda tranny, and not indicative of a problem. Simply put, it's not smooth in lower gears as other cars I've driven.

Registered Member

Cx5

Youíre the first out of many active 2.5T owners here is having such complaint. You could be experiencing something different like jmhumr described above.
    I also have a 2.5t wih what appears to be a similar issue. However, I donít have any of the clicking/popping noises.

Today it happened without lifting off the throttle.

I was at a stop sign at the bottom of a hill. Light to medium throttle as I accelerated from a stop - when it shifted into 2nd the RPMs jumped a bit before dropping back down and locking into 2nd. This does not seem nornal. Shifts into 3rd and up are crisp.

Registered Member

2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

My 2014 touring has that jerk when cold.It's had it so long I figure it's normal with a cold transmission and the fact that this transmission is programmed (and does) to upshift as much as possible,that it's just upshifting under power when pulling out.My experience is that the torque converter locks up very early and produces a firmer shift than other trannies that have longer converter "slip". Jmaz

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast