2018 CX-5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/Jerk/Lurch

For the most part, Im experiencing this slipping/rpm spike issue when the engine isnt at full operating temp.

On the way home from work last week, I tried to replicate the issue in the same spot but couldnt. This morning on the way into work, the same thing happened again. This stop sign is maybe 5 minutes/2 miles from my house. Total commute is about 25 miles.

I feel like this cant be good for the transmission to be momentarily slipping before engaging.

Tested today at the same location wih the same conditions but in manual mode/non sport and it initially slipped in second before engauging. I didnt lift my foot off the throttle when shifting. This has me really conncerned and irritated now.

Tested today at the same location wih the same conditions but in manual mode/non sport and it initially slipped in second before engauging. I didn*t lift my foot off the throttle when shifting. This has me really conncerned and irritated now.
You have different issue described in this thread on your transmission. The slippage from first to second definitely is not a good sign. You should record the jump of the tachometer and show it to your Mazda dealer as soon as you can.

You have different issue described in this thread on your transmission. The slippage from first to second definitely is not a good sign. You should record the jump of the tachometer and show it to your Mazda dealer as soon as you can.
Can you explain the tach jump? My 2018 RPM drops quite a bit during some shifts. Is that what you call slippage? Overall I am not happy with transmission compared to the 2015 I had.

Sskali, who wrote the OP, said what Im describing is exactly the same issue.

Im not sure that it is, but I havent changed my description of the issue.

Has this issue that everyone has experienced always been happening? Or more recently since the engine has broken in?

Any 19 drivers seeing this? Turbo or NA.

So far it seems to be almost exclusively 18s.

I just got my new 2019 CX-5 GT (non-signature, non-turbo) first week of April and absolutely hate it! City driving is like being on a friggin horse drawn carriage. I traded my 2015 CX-5 for this and regretting every second. My 2018 Mazda 3 is so damn smooth, I am finding it extremely hard to accept the 2019 CX-5 lack of comfortable drive in lower gears is "by design". I am raising a massive stink and will harass the dealership till they do something about this...

Seems like there are a couple of issues being conflated in this thread. But I agree that "somethin' ain't right". I wish I had spent far more time on the test drive and understood the issues better, and I don't understand why it wasn't mentioned in the many review videos I watched on YouTube, etc.

At this point I consider it a major flaw in an otherwise excellent car. It's very frustrating.

On top of that any threads on the topic get pushed out of the CX-5 Lounge and into this Engine & Transmission forum where they don't get any attention. Obviously the topic fits but I just have a hard time believing that there aren't more people experiencing any of this.

Let us know if you find anything out.

Edit: here's another thread

Last edited:
Any 19 drivers seeing this? Turbo or NA.

So far it seems to be almost exclusively 18s.

100% mine is doing this. Less than 3000km on the car. Sig with Turbo.

I actually posted on Reddit about it today and had no response.

I'm quite surprised at how much I can feel this car shift (either up or down), compared to my work vehicle (A 2015 Ford Transit). The transit you can barely feel it shifting.

I will tell you this - I find that when I am NOT in stop and go traffic or being force to drive slow (parking lots, etc) that the shifting seems really imperceptible except from 1>2 gear. Even downshifting is fine if you're gradually slowing down.

I actually have been concerned about it, and this thread is making me feel at least a little bit at ease.

I woudln't describe what I'm experiencing as "jarring" or what have you, but sometimes I do feel my body moving forward with the shift ever so slightly.

I hope that helps?

I just got my new 2019 CX-5 GT (non-signature, non-turbo) first week of April and absolutely hate it! City driving is like being on a friggin horse drawn carriage. I traded my 2015 CX-5 for this and regretting every second. My 2018 Mazda 3 is so damn smooth, I am finding it extremely hard to accept the 2019 CX-5 lack of comfortable drive in lower gears is "by design". I am raising a massive stink and will harass the dealership till they do something about this...

The more and more I think about my 2019 CX-5 Signature, I would describe city driving as 'poor' with respects to the herky jerkyness of the tranny. I definitely notice harder shifts up AND down on the transmission in city driving.

Its buttery smooth if you're acceleration and maintaining a higher speed, but it really is herky jerky in city driving.

Interesting that you're feeling it with the turbo. Seems most of this thread has been with the NA 4cyl.

Has anyone heard of this issue with other 2018-19 Mazdas?

I have a 2015 CX-5, 43k miles and at around 30k miles the transmission delays a shift into 1st gear. Then it runs fine when warmed up. I live in Los Angeles. The dealer couldn't replicate the issue due to everything shifting fine by the time I got there. Warranty ends in 2 weeks. Should I worry about this? No lights on the dash. It seems that if I let the car warm up it shifts into 1st fine. Worrying that I may get transmission issues down the road.* Doing city driving, I sometimes feel the down shift from 2nd to 1st when letting go of the gas and letting it coast. Its definitely noticable. A few times I felt teh harder shift from 1st to 2nd bit then smooth after that. Now i just turn car on, let it warm up for 30 sec, shift to D and wait a moment. I dont accelerate unless I feel it shifted into D on its own. Shifting into R from start seems fine. Reading this thread made me feel better aboutt he issue.
I do wonder if dumping transmission fluid and changing the filter would fix the issue but Dealer mechanic told me these transmissions arent designed for dumping and filling fluid.

I have an 02 Camry that started going out of gear at 120k miles. I swapped the transmission filter (seemed clogged with metal grit) and dumped the old transmission fluid back into the trnasmission to avoid slipping. Camry runs fine now.

I have a 2015 CX-5, 43k miles and at around 30k miles the transmission delays a shift into 1st gear. Then it runs fine when warmed up. I live in Los Angeles. The dealer couldn't replicate the issue due to everything shifting fine by the time I got there. Warranty ends in 2 weeks. Should I worry about this? No lights on the dash. It seems that if I let the car warm up it shifts into 1st fine. Worrying that I may get transmission issues down the road.* Doing city driving, I sometimes feel the down shift from 2nd to 1st when letting go of the gas and letting it coast. Its definitely noticable. A few times I felt teh harder shift from 1st to 2nd bit then smooth after that. Now i just turn car on, let it warm up for 30 sec, shift to D and wait a moment. I dont accelerate unless I feel it shifted into D on its own. Shifting into R from start seems fine. Reading this thread made me feel better aboutt he issue.
I do wonder if dumping transmission fluid and changing the filter would fix the issue but Dealer mechanic told me these transmissions arent designed for dumping and filling fluid.

I have an 02 Camry that started going out of gear at 120k miles. I swapped the transmission filter (seemed clogged with metal grit) and dumped the old transmission fluid back into the trnasmission to avoid slipping. Camry runs fine now.
Any delay-shift usually is not a good sign for an automatic transmission. I suspect your problem could be caused by low ATF level which happens very often from factory fill. You can try to find a Mazda dealer who is will to do the ATF drain-and-fill, or the best is DIY making sure the ATF level is proper at 122F.

ATF Drain/Fill

Any delay-shift usually is not a good sign for an automatic transmission. I suspect your problem could be caused by low ATF level which happens very often from factory fill. You can try to find a Mazda dealer who is will to do the ATF drain-and-fill, or the best is DIY making sure the ATF level is proper at 122F.

ATF Drain/Fill

Pardon my ignorance, but how in the heck do you measure the temperature of the ATF fluid?

Do you shove a thermometer in the reservoir after driving and wait for it to cool to 122F?

Pardon my ignorance, but how in the heck do you measure the temperature of the ATF fluid?

Do you shove a thermometer in the reservoir after driving and wait for it to cool to 122F?
Here is the ATF dipstick from CX-5:

So...doing my second drain and fill as I type this (waiting for fluid to finish draining).

This time I think I measured correctly. I moved the airbox out of the way, but left it attached. Started the car and waited for the cold temp blue light to turn off. Then with the car still idling, checked dipstick. Assuming that's what I am supposed to do, I think I am still low as it should be closer to the middle eh? Or the other line perhaps?

Edit: Car was still level, not on ramps yet.

e713f02781461a1f44937d2cd22d54a6.jpg

Here is official ATF level measurement procedure from Mazda factory service manual:

Nice!

ATF level should be at the central marker area on the dipstick at 122F while the engine is running. Make sure to shift into all possible gears during the warm-up.

Judging by the color of your drained ATF, I may consider another drain-and-fill if I were you.

attachment.php

View attachment 219691

Of course we can't afford Mazda's M-MDS system. But we can use a cheap OBDII reader to read engine coolant temperature; or a fancier one which can read true ATF temperature. Or at least we can use coolant temperature warning light in instrunment cluster as people have found out when the blue light is off, the engine coolant temperature is around 122F.

Thanks for the answer.

Man, what a complicated thing just to check tranny fluid. And somehow you gotta be under the car as it is running...

Thanks for the answer.

Man, what a complicated thing just to check tranny fluid. And somehow you gotta be under the car as it is running...
Or remove or trying to push away the entire air box accessing the ATF dipstick from top while engine is running ...

Back