Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

Registered Member

CX5

My 19 CX5 GT does this. Also jerks in a complete stop. Does anyone's car jerks in a complete stop?

Registered Member

CX-5

My EURO spec 2018 has same issue occasionally. For me it's just annoying don't consider it a safety issue. Unfortunately the dealer was correct when told you it was 'normal'. Normal maybe, but something Mazda needs to address. In this day and age a 6 speed transmission is old school technology. There should not be any more bugs to work out at this stage in the production life of this transmission.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCRUISE View Post
    My EURO spec 2018 has same issue occasionally. For me it's just annoying don't consider it a safety issue. Unfortunately the dealer was correct when told you it was 'normal'. Normal maybe, but something Mazda needs to address. In this day and age a 6 speed transmission is old school technology. There should not be any more bugs to work out at this stage in the production life of this transmission.
    Is yours petrol or diesel?

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

There is a worldwide TSB that explains that some cars may experience notchy changes at some elevations which is why some of you may feel it and some not (over 1000m or 3300ft). Of course this forum has taken the pathetic move of allowing Mazda NA to insist that TSBs are not shown as if they donít exist so I wonít show it (I tend to get warned in great big red letters if I tread on the modís toes) but the number is R069/17C if you need to quote it. It explains the installation of new gearbox firmware to improve the feel.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    There is a worldwide TSB that explains that some cars may experience notchy changes at some elevations which is why some of you may feel it and some not (over 1000m or 3300ft). Of course this forum has taken the pathetic move of allowing Mazda NA to insist that TSBs are not shown as if they don*t exist so I won*t show it (I tend to get warned in great big red letters if I tread on the mod*s toes) but the number is R069/17C if you need to quote it. It explains the installation of new gearbox firmware to improve the feel.
    Ummm....wat? Is this conjecture, or verified?

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk/ Lurch

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    There is a worldwide TSB that explains that some cars may experience notchy changes at some elevations which is why some of you may feel it and some not (over 1000m or 3300ft). Of course this forum has taken the pathetic move of allowing Mazda NA to insist that TSBs are not shown as if they don*t exist so I won*t show it (I tend to get warned in great big red letters if I tread on the mod*s toes) but the number is R069/17C if you need to quote it. It explains the installation of new gearbox firmware to improve the feel.
    But many owners complaining this do not live in such higher elevations over 1000m or 3300ft. SKYCRUISE in Belgium certainly is not.

Like the TSB on electrical parking brake dragging issue, Mazda started with changing EPB control module (with modified firmware, trying to use software to fix the issue. Sounded familiar?) blaming on the cold environment. Later they changed the TSB and figured out the real culprit is the inconsistency of manufacturing tolerance on rear brake caliper and revised calipers are needed to fix the problem.

IMO this issue has something to do with changes made on transmission to accommodate cylinder deactivation. We have no such complaint on 6-speed SkyActiv-Drive transmission until 2018 MY CX-5 coming out with newly added cylinder deactivation.

The censorship to TSBs by Mazda applied to this forum certainly gives us a bad taste to our mouth! It'd only drive customers away!
    Last edited by yrwei52; 03-08-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

+1

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Ummm....wat? Is this conjecture, or verified?
    According to Chris. I can*t even find the thread but the links had been disabled.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by yugrus View Post
    Our '15 never does this. Perhaps, they have modified the torque converter lock disengagement criteria to make it even more strict. Remember, SkyActiv transmission is much closer to the manual unit then to your average slush box. It unlocks torque converter very reluctantly in any gear, making it a direct drive. And it locks in any gear almost instantly. May be you are experiencing the enhanced direct - drive algorithms that give you benefits of fuel savings at the expense of low-speed, low-torque hesitation. Could be very normal.
    My 2018 GT does the same thing, jerking on acceleration coming out of a sharp corner. The torque converter locking up mentioned here seems to make sense because it doesn't really feel like a gear change when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman777 View Post
    My 2018 GT does the same thing, jerking on acceleration coming out of a sharp corner. The torque converter locking up mentioned here seems to make sense because it doesn't really feel like a gear change when it happens.
    See, another 2018 CX-5 GT owner is complaining the problem. If such problem happens only on 2018+ CX-5 non-turbo owners, we can certainly believe the culprit is the modification to SkyActiv-Drive transmission made for cylinder deactivation.

Lock-up clutch in torque converter is not the issue. We have this lock-up most-of-time feature since 2013 MY. And we havenít seen such complaint until 2018 MY which stated to feature cylinder deactivation and modified the transmission to accommodate the CD.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Yrwei, what are the changes they made to the tranny? How does CD play into it?

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Yrwei, what are the changes they made to the tranny? How does CD play into it?
    From available document on cylinder deactivation, Mazda says:

The challenge with four-cylinder deactivation is that an engine running on two cylinders is more likely to cause vibration. Mazdaís breakthrough solution to compensate for this is to use a fulcrum inside the six-speed SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission, helping ensure seamless transition between two- and four-cylinder operation.
    MAZDAíS NEW CYLINDER-DEACTIVATION OFFERS IMPROVED FUEL-EFFICIENCY WITHOUT SACRIFICING DRIVING PERFORMANCE

To control vibration caused by cylinder deactivation, the added components with additional software controlling them may cause some side effects making transmission jerking during the low speed.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 6

If we're thinking the cylinder deactivation is to blame, then the next question is are turbo others experiencing this? Cuz I don't believe the turbos have cylinder deactivation.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

My 2018 GT with 18k km does this also.

It's happened maybe 6 times when in very slow traffic. You can see the rpms jump up with very slight push on the gas as the car lunges forwards.

Saw some posts online refering to it as "normal" and disregarded it but it seems that it's a problem isolated with 18s and now concerned it may be related with CD.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring

It may be in my head but I think things improve slightly in my 2018 if I turn off TCS. If some of you could try this I would appreciate it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast