2018 CX-5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/Jerk/Lurch

Yrwei, what are the changes they made to the tranny? How does CD play into it?

2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk/ Lurch

Yrwei, what are the changes they made to the tranny? How does CD play into it?
From available document on cylinder deactivation, Mazda says:

The challenge with four-cylinder deactivation is that an engine running on two cylinders is more likely to cause vibration. Mazdas breakthrough solution to compensate for this is to use a fulcrum inside the six-speed SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission, helping ensure seamless transition between two- and four-cylinder operation.

MAZDAS NEW CYLINDER-DEACTIVATION OFFERS IMPROVED FUEL-EFFICIENCY WITHOUT SACRIFICING DRIVING PERFORMANCE

To control vibration caused by cylinder deactivation, the added components with additional software controlling them may cause some side effects making transmission jerking during the low speed.

If we're thinking the cylinder deactivation is to blame, then the next question is are turbo others experiencing this? Cuz I don't believe the turbos have cylinder deactivation.

My 2018 GT with 18k km does this also.

It's happened maybe 6 times when in very slow traffic. You can see the rpms jump up with very slight push on the gas as the car lunges forwards.

Saw some posts online refering to it as "normal" and disregarded it but it seems that it's a problem isolated with 18s and now concerned it may be related with CD.

It may be in my head but I think things improve slightly in my 2018 if I turn off TCS. If some of you could try this I would appreciate it.

For what its worth, my BMW does this too. I think its just an annoying habit of these turbo-fours tuned with a sporty throttle response. They can probably soften it with a tune, but Im guessing itd come at the expense of some acceleration performance.

I dont think there are enough dots connecting this to CD, especially considering that feature doesnt even come into play until cruising speeds.

If we're thinking the cylinder deactivation is to blame, then the next question is are turbo others experiencing this? Cuz I don't believe the turbos have cylinder deactivation.

Yes, my 2019 GTR does this as well

Is the following correct?

2019 normally aspirated models have CD, the turbos do not.
Therefore, the NA and T have different engines AND different transmissions.

Or do the turbos use the same tranny?

They both use the same gearbox hardware but whether the settings are the same, you*d have to ask Mazda. They probably do but that is my opinion, not my knowledge..

They both use the same gearbox hardware but whether the settings are the same, you*d have to ask Mazda. They probably do but that is my opinion, not my knowledge..

This is why I asked:

From available document on cylinder deactivation, Mazda says:

MAZDAS NEW CYLINDER-DEACTIVATION OFFERS IMPROVED FUEL-EFFICIENCY WITHOUT SACRIFICING DRIVING PERFORMANCE

To control vibration caused by cylinder deactivation, the added components with additional software controlling them may cause some side effects making transmission jerking during the low speed.

I'm just trying to correlate the anecdotes people are reporting with different yrs/models having this problem to find the common factors.

Something that Im noticing on the 19, that I dont really find on the 16.5 that is more annoying(and concerning) is that it seems confused when going into second under some scenarios.

Scenario 1:
light acceleration from a stop, lift off the throttle slightly as it goes into 2nd, then get back on the throttle- the RPMs jump for a second then drop down as it engages into 2nd.

Scenario 2:
Slowing down to make a right turn with no stop sign, lift off the throttle, make the turn, get back on the throttle, the RPMs jump for a second then drop down as it engages into 2nd.

When the RPMs jump, its around 500 over where it engages.

If I dont lift of the throttle, the RPMs dont jump. However, it seems like its a softer shift into second than the rear of the gears.

Is this what folks are describing in this thread or is it the rough/jerky downshift into 1st when slowly rolling to a stop? My 19 has the jerky downshift into first. I dont notice it on the 16.5.

What Im describing in my earlier post above almost makes it feel like the transmission is slipping. Im also wondering if what Im expericing is he transmission actually jumping to 3rd instead of 2nd like I thought. If I put it in manual mode, this is not an issue.

Yes, cylinder deactivation is only featured on naturally aspirated SkyActiv-G 2.5L since 2018 MY. 2.5T does not have CD. So far every such complaint including OP is from 2018 / 2019 CX-5 2.5L NA with CD.

For what its worth, my BMW does this too. I think its just an annoying habit of these turbo-fours tuned with a sporty throttle response. They can probably soften it with a tune, but Im guessing itd come at the expense of some acceleration performance.

I dont think there are enough dots connecting this to CD, especially considering that feature doesnt even come into play until cruising speeds.
But all complaints weve seen here are from 2018+ MY CX-5 non-turbo 2.5L Touring and GT. So your assumption is irrelevant.

Yes, my 2019 GTR does this as well
Youre the first out of many active 2.5T owners here is having such complaint. You could be experiencing something different like jmhumr described above.

Is the following correct?

2019 normally aspirated models have CD, the turbos do not.
Therefore, the NA and T have different engines AND different transmissions.

Or do the turbos use the same tranny?
This is why I asked:

I'm just trying to correlate the anecdotes people are reporting with different yrs/models having this problem to find the common factors.
Based on official Mazda document I posted earlier, Mazda added a fulcrum inside the 6-speed SkyActiv-Drive transmission to fight against the vibration from cylinder deactivation.

So yes, the transmissions are different between 2.5L NA with CD and 2.5T in addition to different gear ratios and other reinforcements.

Yes, cylinder deactivation is only featured on naturally aspirated SkyActiv-G 2.5L since 2018 MY. 2.5T does not have CD. So far every such complaint including OP is from 2018 / 2019 CX-5 2.5L NA with CD.

nope, 2014 Touring here. I can feel jerkiness/lurching after backing out of the driveway after a cold start, putting it in Drive and even just pressing the accelerator slightly.

2018 GT AWD here. After reversing then going into drive, there is a jerk. Seems to have only started up this winter (cold weather but northern California cold), and from what I remember only on start up after sitting for a while. It doesn't feel like the tranny is slipping, as it engages immediately. It just seems to send too much power as soon as you press the accelerator, then it backs off and behaves regularly. Or maybe there's lock up due to cold. Not sure.

I haven't had any other tranny issues described in this thread. Except maybe i think this tranny is a bit rough between lower gear changes. But i think that's just the nature of this Mazda tranny, and not indicative of a problem. Simply put, it's not smooth in lower gears as other cars I've driven.

Youre the first out of many active 2.5T owners here is having such complaint. You could be experiencing something different like jmhumr described above.

I also have a 2.5t wih what appears to be a similar issue. However, I dont have any of the clicking/popping noises.

Today it happened without lifting off the throttle.

I was at a stop sign at the bottom of a hill. Light to medium throttle as I accelerated from a stop - when it shifted into 2nd the RPMs jumped a bit before dropping back down and locking into 2nd. This does not seem nornal. Shifts into 3rd and up are crisp.

My 2014 touring has that jerk when cold.It's had it so long I figure it's normal with a cold transmission and the fact that this transmission is programmed (and does) to upshift as much as possible,that it's just upshifting under power when pulling out.My experience is that the torque converter locks up very early and produces a firmer shift than other trannies that have longer converter "slip". Jmaz

Latest posts

Back