Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Could it be the cylinder deactivation on light load?
    My '17 does not do that.
    Only '18 has the CD.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

CX-5 GT

Our '15 never does this. Perhaps, they have modified the torque converter lock disengagement criteria to make it even more strict. Remember, SkyActiv transmission is much closer to the manual unit then to your average slush box. It unlocks torque converter very reluctantly in any gear, making it a direct drive. And it locks in any gear almost instantly. May be you are experiencing the enhanced direct - drive algorithms that give you benefits of fuel savings at the expense of low-speed, low-torque hesitation. Could be very normal.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

Mine does this. Check out my post in second gear fixed mode. Almost eliminates the problem.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Prem

My 2018 does this as well. I've found that it happens at 4 and 5 mph, so I either go 3 mph or 6 mph+, or just endure it.

This is a car that (unfortunately) takes some practice to drive smoothly. After a full 12 months I am still trying to work it all out.

Registered Member

2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring

Southern Arizona (40 Miles south of Tucson)
    Quote Originally Posted by sskali View Post
    Hello Everyone. I have been experiencing unusual transmission behavior at slow speeds in my 2018 CX 5 AWD. In situations where I am slowing down and almost coming to a halt, when I press the gas pedal the car slightly jerks/lurches back and forth. This behavior is especially present when I slow down to make turns or in stop and go traffic. Also at slow speeds, when I lift my foot off the throttle the car slightly lurches. I can hear some kind of knocking or clicking sound when the transmission behaves like this. Could anyone advise me if this behavior is common or something unexpected? I have taken the car to my local Mazda dealer and they say that this kind of behavior is normal for this generation of the CX 5. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain this behavior or share their experiences. Thank you very much.
    I've had my 18, CX-5 in the shop for this problem. Mechanic said this is normal due to a "Highly efficient Torque Converter" in the 18+ models.

I will learn to live with it.
    2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Snowflake White Pearl----2016 MX-5 GT Soft Top Ceramic White Metallic.

Registered Member

Mazda CX 5 2019

So happy that this thread exists! Noticed the exact same thing the second day driving around my new 2019 GTR. I'll probably still take it in to have it looked at, but feeling more relieved that this is a common problem.

Registered Member

was 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav, now 190ps DSG Tiguan 4M

Well my 2015 cx-5 had no jerking, sounds like bull shit from the dealer to me.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

Quote Originally Posted by xtrailman View Post
    Well my 2015 cx-5 had no jerking, sounds like bull shit from the dealer to me.
    Hi Xtrailman. You had diesel versions and I had/have diesel versions with no jerking problems. Perhaps the common denominator as all the NA versions will obviously be petrol?

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring

If I had to sum up my 2018 CX-5 transmission I would say, compared to the 2015 it replaced, I am much more aware of the shifting. This includes both accelerating and decelerating. The 2015 was smoother.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Any 19 drivers seeing this? Turbo or NA.

So far it seems to be almost exclusively 18s.

Registered Member

Cx5

I have a 16.5 GT and a 19 GT-R. I find itís more noticeable on the 19 but itís also there on the 16.5.

Something that Iím noticing on the 19, that I donít really find on the 16.5 that is more annoying(and concerning) is that it seems confused when going into second under some scenarios.

Scenario 1:
    light acceleration from a stop, lift off the throttle slightly as it goes into 2nd, then get back on the throttle- the RPMs jump for a second then drop down as it engages into 2nd.

Scenario 2:
    Slowing down to make a right turn with no stop sign, lift off the throttle, make the turn, get back on the throttle, the RPMs jump for a second then drop down as it engages into 2nd.

When the RPMs jump, itís around 500 over where it engages.

If I donít lift of the throttle, the RPMs donít jump. However, it seems like itís a softer shift into second than the rear of the gears.

Registered Member

Mazda 2017 CX 5 GT

My 2017 GT two years old and does that jerking thing all the time in the lower gears. When I had only 1500 miles on the car I have addressed this issue with the Mazda dealer. At the time the dealer installed recording device under my dash of my car that records engine and transmission behavior (error codes). Dealer told me to drive with device for 3 weeks, then it was removed by dealer and sent for inspection to Mazda top engineers (Per Dealer). After all inspections the reply from dealer was that *everything in this vehicle performs as designed that includes transmission. Well long story short the car is still lurching/jerking at lower speeds and Mazda not willing to admit that there is a problem and with my luck the transition will break when the car warranty runs out.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 6

2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk/ Lurch

Hey just saying ďme tooĒ.... haha. My wifeís 2018 Touring does this as well. My 2014 6 doesnít. I notice it more when I drive. She never noticed it until I was driving her car, so maybe it has something to do with our driving styles as well.
    Last edited by jaggrey; 03-03-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Registered Member

Cx 5 GT AWD

Hey guys. To find out more about this issue, I was looking to test drive a similar CX 5 to mine. Luckily, a dealer had a used '18 CX5 AWD on their lot. When I drove the car, I could hear the same noise when slowing down and accelerating especially at 90 degree turns. The transmission/ torque convertor makes the same clicking noise. In a way, I am relieved that its not just my car doing this. My CX3 doesn't have this issue at all. Hopefully, there is a fix for this issue.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Our 2014 does something like this, when backing out of the driveway and then putting it into Drive when everything is still cold. I try to be as gentle as possible and only touch the pedal after the car starts moving forward.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 368K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 88K miles, the family hauler!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast