2018 CX-5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/Jerk/Lurch

sskali

:
Cx 5 GT AWD
Hello Everyone. I have been experiencing unusual transmission behavior at slow speeds in my 2018 CX 5 AWD. In situations where I am slowing down and almost coming to a halt, when I press the gas pedal the car slightly jerks/lurches back and forth. This behavior is especially present when I slow down to make turns or in stop and go traffic. Also at slow speeds, when I lift my foot off the throttle the car slightly lurches. I can hear some kind of knocking or clicking sound when the transmission behaves like this. Could anyone advise me if this behavior is common or something unexpected? I have taken the car to my local Mazda dealer and they say that this kind of behavior is normal for this generation of the CX 5. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain this behavior or share their experiences. Thank you very much.

Kinda sounds like your parking brake is partially engaging or rubbing, which would explain the lurching and the clicking sound (mine makes this sound when it engages after parking). Definitely does not seem normal.

My gen 2 does nothing like that. Yours shouldn't.

This is normal. Its not desirable but normal. My car yo-yos a bit at parking lot speeds-like the car is trying to go fast and slow at the same time. Other 6 spd autos I have owned never did this.
I have had lurching happen 2-3 times over 28k miles in 2 years. I back out of a spot. Put it in D and it lunges fwd even with a gentle tap on pedal.
This is a poor car to drive at parking lot speeds.

our 2018 does the same thing...when going slow in a parking lot it yo-yo's just as the post above, going up and down in speed ever so slightly.

My 2018 does same thing. Dealer says all is well. Not to my liking at all. I'm getting ready to try again with my dealer but now seeing this it's a let down that it may be normal.

Starting to sound like a problem introduced in the 18s. Wonder if CD had anything to do it it indirectly.
Any 17 owners experienced this?

Does not happen in my 2014.
Worst case is, when the engine/transmission is cold, the 1st to 2nd change will be with a small jerk the very first time and will not repeat until the next day.
Pretty smooth in traffic jams and parking lots.

This is normal. Its not desirable but normal. My car yo-yos a bit at parking lot speeds-like the car is trying to go fast and slow at the same time. Other 6 spd autos I have owned never did this.
I have had lurching happen 2-3 times over 28k miles in 2 years. I back out of a spot. Put it in D and it lunges fwd even with a gentle tap on pedal.
This is a poor car to drive at parking lot speeds.

My vehicle does this at well sometimes. At first, I thought I was gassing it too much but I guess it's just the car. I notice it does that in the morning when I start up on a cold day.

My vehicle does this at well sometimes. At first, I thought I was gassing it too much but I guess it's just the car. I notice it does that in the morning when I start up on a cold day.

18?

My 16.5 and 17 do not do this. I'm thinking might be something in the 18s?

Advantage diesel. (yes). With my past 2013, 2016 and present 2018 no lurching occurs. The transmission is very smooth at low speed. Perhaps the higher low down torque suits the auto transmission better?

I've experienced this with my 2018 AWD Touring. I initially chalked it up to an over-eager automatic transmission, but perhaps it is a design issue. I adjusted the way I press on the accelerator at low speeds to be more gentle and it stopped bothering me.

Could it be the cylinder deactivation on light load?
My '17 does not do that.
Only '18 has the CD.

Our '15 never does this. Perhaps, they have modified the torque converter lock disengagement criteria to make it even more strict. Remember, SkyActiv transmission is much closer to the manual unit then to your average slush box. It unlocks torque converter very reluctantly in any gear, making it a direct drive. And it locks in any gear almost instantly. May be you are experiencing the enhanced direct - drive algorithms that give you benefits of fuel savings at the expense of low-speed, low-torque hesitation. Could be very normal.

My 2018 does this as well. I've found that it happens at 4 and 5 mph, so I either go 3 mph or 6 mph+, or just endure it.

This is a car that (unfortunately) takes some practice to drive smoothly. After a full 12 months I am still trying to work it all out.

Hello Everyone. I have been experiencing unusual transmission behavior at slow speeds in my 2018 CX 5 AWD. In situations where I am slowing down and almost coming to a halt, when I press the gas pedal the car slightly jerks/lurches back and forth. This behavior is especially present when I slow down to make turns or in stop and go traffic. Also at slow speeds, when I lift my foot off the throttle the car slightly lurches. I can hear some kind of knocking or clicking sound when the transmission behaves like this. Could anyone advise me if this behavior is common or something unexpected? I have taken the car to my local Mazda dealer and they say that this kind of behavior is normal for this generation of the CX 5. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain this behavior or share their experiences. Thank you very much.

I've had my 18, CX-5 in the shop for this problem. Mechanic said this is normal due to a "Highly efficient Torque Converter" in the 18+ models.

I will learn to live with it.

Back