2018 CX-5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/Jerk/Lurch

(don't need the 0W where it gets to freezing only twice a winter)

Not really true. The viscosity of even 0w engine oil is too thick to lubricate properly when it's below operating temperature. The large majority of engine wear happens at cold startup, and to reduce that wear as much as possible (can't avoid some wearing), you want the thinnest oil you can get when cold that still provides proper lubrication when hot. All cars can benefit from 0w oil. My Integra calls for 5w-30, but I've been using Mobil1 synthetic 0w-30 for over a decade now. Car has 369,000 miles on it now. And I use OEM Mazda 0w-20 in our CX-5 with 92K miles. I just recently got a Blackstone UOA and they said everything looked good and to go 8,000 miles on this next oil drain interval.

Is the issue there when cold and at operating tempeatue?

I have a reserve that has a shift flare on the 1-2 shift but it goes away when the vehicle is at operating temperature. Overall, I*m not impressed with this transmission under normal driving conditions when compared to the first gen. The light to moderate throttle around town shifts ( 1-2, 4-3 and 3-2) are just sloppy.

However, when closer to full throttle with more aggressive driving, it still performs well.

This is exactly my experience.

The longer I own my new car, the more I think the transmission is very sloppily setup to shift.

If you're in stop and go traffic, its even 10x worse. Rough shifts from 1 > 2, engine braking at low speeds just makes it even more annoying.

However, whenever I open the throttle and drive 'normally', the transmission is smooth as silk.. no hesitations, no bucking, no jerking, nothing. Its ALL at low-speeds/ for me where I experience it.

ATF volume is more sensitive to the temperature. We've learned Mazda seems to underfill ATF from factory based on many reports here, added with low temperature, you could experience those shift flare issue sometimes caused by low ATF level. If you really want to resolve the issue, you should check ATF level according to proper procedure at specified ATF temperature. Very likely you'd find your ATF is under-filled from factory, and after topped off the ATF with FZ, your shift flare problem could be gone.

IN the past, I've had a previous Mazda 6 that was underfilled in the tranny and it exhibited the exact same behaviours as my CX5 is right now.

When I take it in for its first service soon, I'll have them check the transmission levels and top if needed. I'll check back in here once I get it done.

ATF volume is more sensitive to the temperature. We've learned Mazda seems to underfill ATF from factory based on many reports here, added with low temperature, you could experience those shift flare issue sometimes caused by low ATF level. If you really want to resolve the issue, you should check ATF level according to proper procedure at specified ATF temperature. Very likely you'd find your ATF is under-filled from factory, and after topped off the ATF with FZ, your shift flare problem could be gone.
IN the past, I've had a previous Mazda 6 that was underfilled in the tranny and it exhibited the exact same behaviours as my CX5 is right now.

When I take it in for its first service soon, I'll have them check the transmission levels and top if needed. I'll check back in here once I get it done.
Yes, definitely keep us posted!

Yikes, I thought it was just me. I purchased an '18 2.5 (non-turbo) last year and driving at slow speeds in stop and go traffic for example I definitely get the yo-yo'ing effect. Can't say I've gotten used to it, though everything else about the car I still fancy.

Manually shifting doesn't help either.

Yikes, I thought it was just me. I purchased an '18 2.5 (non-turbo) last year and driving at slow speeds in stop and go traffic for example I definitely get the yo-yo'ing effect. Can't say I've gotten used to it, though everything else about the car I still fancy.

Given how many people across all of the Mazda CX-5 forums I'm on say the same thing, I'm tending to believe that this is just the way the transmission is built.

I'm going to have them check the levels for me to make sure its okay from the factory (less than 6k km on the car right now), and if they come back saying the levels are fine, then I'll just chalk it up to the way the transmission is designed.

I can't imagine that it's good mechanically though - it honestly feels like a transmission that is 'troubled'. Clunky shifts, sometimes it feels like someone has hit me from behind at low speeds.. there's quite a lurch in the shift.

Funny, becuase if you're driving at-speed and not stop and go, I find the shifts to be incredibly smooth and enjoyable. But, most of my morning commute and evening commute is spent going between 0 and 40km/hr, often at idle (letting foot off gas and just idle-rolling) and its so horrible.

I never noticed this on my test drive, but that's clearly becuase on the test drive I was driving at normal speeds with no stop and go traffic.

The lesson I've learned from all of this is: take longer, more thorough test drives. 23,000 miles in, it's really wearing on me.

So disappointing, it's such a great car otherwise.

Anybody see these consumer reported issues? http://www.carproblemzoo.com/mazda/cx-5/power-train-problems.php

Some sound very similar to what you all are describing now. It's make me hesitant to purchase the CX-5 GT-R with a rough tansmission. Really want this car to last.

My GT-R has about 2,300 miles on it. I have not noticed this problem, but I usually have no Stop & Go traffic where I am.

Today I drove to the nearest busy city about 20 miles away (Charlottesville) with lots of extended stop & go time driving around there, and because of these comments paid specific attention to the low speed shifting. Everything was fine. The only other stop & go I encounter is the main town in my county about 12 miles away (where I've not had this issue.)

There are only a couple of stop signs/lights on my way to either of these distant congested places. I wonder if the length of the uninterrupted full-speed drives I have before hitting any traffic makes a difference.

I'm gonna be upset if I paid this kind of money and start having these issues.
I don't mind the honeymoon ending, but at least let me get the thing paid off before the relationship devolves into contempt.

I*m currently running a 2019 rental with the 2.5 engine in it. What I can say is that it is a lot less refined than any of the diesels I have owned. I have to be careful if I want to take off from a junction quick because it is *all or nothing* making it uncomfortable for passengers (I find myself apologising for rough driving) and I*ve noticed in very light or off throttle it goes in to an *on/off* throttle hesitancy which gives a kind of fluttering effect. There is also the odd slightly rough gear change. The diesel seems much more *damped* and smooths out these imperfections. I*m sure I*d get used to it with time but yes, i have noticed it.

I*m currently running a 2019 rental with the 2.5 engine in it. What I can say is that it is a lot less refined than any of the diesels I have owned. I have to be careful if I want to take off from a junction quick because it is *all or nothing* making it uncomfortable for passengers (I find myself apologising for rough driving) and I*ve noticed in very light or off throttle it goes in to an *on/off* throttle hesitancy which gives a kind of fluttering effect. There is also the odd slightly rough gear change. The diesel seems much more *damped* and smooths out these imperfections. I*m sure I*d get used to it with time but yes, i have noticed it.

How many kms on the rental? It being a rental, if it has a lot of kms for its age, it may be due to the car being abused by previous drivers.

For those recent posters, have you tried disconnecting the ground on the battery for 10-15 minutes? This is usually enough to clear the memory on the ECU and the transmission can "relearn" the way you drive. This fixed a similar issue for me, when I bought a used Lexus IS250.

If that doesn't do it, I'd be on the dealer's doorstep, ready to escalate to Mazda Corporate if the dealer is unable/unwilling to assist.

This is how Mazda AT logic works - under no throttle (2.5 NA paired with 6 Spd Auto - 2.0 numbers can be different)
If you slow below 20 mph - you go from 4th to 3rd gear
If you slow under 30 - from 5th to 4th
Under 45 from 6th to 5th.
Under 20 mph = I don't recollect gear shift points.
This causes the yo yo as it slows the car down - engine braking.

Toyota doesn't do this. Most other ATs don't do this. drive a Rav4 and lift foot off pedal and it will travel a lot longer to a stop smoothly compared to CX5. CX5 on the other hand downshifts at those speeds "COMPULSARILY" - it is not optional unless you customize the car through a tuner. Manual shifting does not affect this - it still downshifts.
Difference is - in a Toyota if you smash the pedal at lower speeds - the car has to shift down. In CX5 if you smash pedal at lower speeds you already are in correct gear for a pull.

Its a trade off - if you don't like it - you are most likely a Toyota or a CVT customer. Its not bad or wrong. Those who like the 6spd Auto in CX5 - are ok with the trade off.
That is one reason - you should take a Mazda home for a test drive if its new. Some dealers allow it. I took it and noticed this. But I don't drive at stop and go for long.

Last edited:
I keep mine in Sport mode whenever I'm in stop/go traffic or a big subdivision with 15-25 MPH posted speed limit, to keep the trans from searching around so much and to provide a little engine braking. Not the best for fuel economy, but better than cruising slow in higher gears, to me.

Difference is - in a Toyota if you smash the pedal at lower speeds - the car has to shift down. In CX5 if you smash pedal at lower speeds you already are in correct gear for a pull.

I think there are a few separate issues within this general topic that get conflated, making them hard to pinpoint and discuss on a forum like this. However, based on my experience I would strongly disagree with your statement that I've quoted above. In standard mode (which I consider to be ECO mode) my CX-5 is almost always in a gear that is too high (and others have said the same). If you're under about 2k RPM and you hit the gas, you get *nothing* until the car finally decides you really mean it and then downshifts. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point.

As an aside, I come from 6-cyl 3-spd ATs (and manual before that) not CVTs, etc. I realize there will be a difference with a 4-cyl 6-spd.

Last edited:
However, based on my experience I would strongly disagree with your statement that I've quoted above. In standard mode (which I consider to be ECO mode) my CX-5 is almost always in a gear that is too high (and others have said the same).
That's my experience as well. It's especially noticeable going up a mild grade at lower [30-40mph] speeds. Then when it downshifts and quits almost lugging, it holds that lower gear longer than I would like, revving too high, even when backing off the accelerator instead of shifting back up. I just go manual in those situations.

I really appreciate that it doesn't hunt for the right gear incessantly, but sometimes it's just wrong. It may "learn" your driving style, but it can't read your mind. It may be one of the best automatics, but it's still an automatic.

But judging by some of these complaints, it often doesn't act like the best. I can't help thinking something is radically wrong with some of these transmissions. Those having trouble really should follow up with their dealers, regardless of how frustrating that can be. As someone said earlier, I'd be really pissed if my new car shifted that poorly. It shouldn't, and many don't.

I think there are a few separate issues within this general topic that get conflated, making them hard to pinpoint and discuss on a forum like this. However, based on my experience I would strongly disagree with your statement that I've quoted above. In standard mode (which I consider to be ECO mode) my CX-5 is almost always in a gear that is too high (and others have said the same). If you're under about 2k RPM and you hit the gas, you get *nothing* until the car finally decides you really mean it and then downshifts. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point.

As an aside, I come from 6-cyl 3-spd ATs (and manual before that) not CVTs, etc. I realize there will be a difference with a 4-cyl 6-spd.

Then gen2 is different than gen1 for sure.
The speeds I have quoted are from Mazdas manual.
I bought my first Toyota Corolla in NC and coming from a Scion tC noticed that it stayed in higher gear a lot while coasting. If you come from a 3 speed there are not enough gears and you would stay in a gear longer.
Next time when you take your foot off the gas see rpms jump around these speeds.

However, based on my experience I would strongly disagree with your statement that I've quoted above. In standard mode (which I consider to be ECO mode) my CX-5 is almost always in a gear that is too high (and others have said the same).
That's my experience as well. It's especially noticeable going up a mild grade at lower [30-40mph] speeds. Then when it downshifts and quits almost lugging, it holds that lower gear longer than I would like, revving too high, even when backing off the accelerator instead of shifting back up. I just go manual in those situations.
Yep, this's my experience too.

But judging by some of these complaints, it often doesn't act like the best. I can't help thinking something is radically wrong with some of these transmissions. Those having trouble really should follow up with their dealers, regardless of how frustrating that can be. As someone said earlier, I'd be really pissed if my new car shifted that poorly. It shouldn't, and many don't.
Our SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission did go through some changes over the year. The major one is adding a fulcrum to fight vibration caused by newly added cylinder deactivation. Judging by those low-speed hesitation / jerk / lurch complaints which are only from gen-2 CX-5's after 2018 MY, I highly suspect the problem is caused by new changes on transmission for cylinder deactivation.

The other possibility to me is under-filled ATF from factory which is very common on Mazda's automatic transmissions.

In normal low load driving my Gen1 up shifts at

The upshift from 5th to 6th is hard to get at 45 it mostly happens around 48 even under low load conditions though mazda claims it can upshift at 45mph.
When I am coasting - no gas, it downshifts as I said.

When I am approaching a hill and keep my peddle steady, it holds higher gear as long as it can. While cruising it always upshifts to the highest possible gear but you floor it and it responds.
My best trip mpg has been 37.X over 20 miles and worst ever has been 21 for a trip with 28 being my current avg. The car has had Mazda moly for 15K miles and standard synthetic at dealer for other 15K.

I will complain about interior quality and the fact that its driving is rough around the edges - rear suspension is awful on small speed breakers, but core drivetrain has been a pleasure.

How many kms on the rental? It being a rental, if it has a lot of kms for its age, it may be due to the car being abused by previous drivers.

For those recent posters, have you tried disconnecting the ground on the battery for 10-15 minutes? This is usually enough to clear the memory on the ECU and the transmission can "relearn" the way you drive. This fixed a similar issue for me, when I bought a used Lexus IS250.

If that doesn't do it, I'd be on the dealer's doorstep, ready to escalate to Mazda Corporate if the dealer is unable/unwilling to assist.
It*s nearly new - 1800 miles.

0-AC1332-E-2-BC5-4013-BC1-E-785-C5123-DF1-F.jpg

I think the gearbox logic is good especially on late 2018 on models. It keeps the revs right down for economy which I*m all for (not for my pocket but for the environment). I think the hesitation is in the engine tuning of the gasoline engine. I*ve noticed it with Toyota*s too. I*d love to let you guys drive my diesel, it*s buttery smooth.

Back