Should I do it?

I'm someone who never buys an extended warranty on anything but did buy one on my '18 CX-9 for long term piece of mind on such a large purchase. For couple of reasons. One, because of the amount of electronics in new cars these days only covered to 36K on the standard warranty. Those repairs are very expensive, one thing will likely cost more than $1K. Two, the new turbo is a bit of a question mark long term as it features a number of new design techniques - different than all other turbos. I bought an 8 yr/100K as that is close to the mileage I'll put on in 8 years. I wanted that assurance to 100K. I got 0% financing which amounted to a lot of savings and figured why not put some on a warranty. On the other hand, if I was buying a simple economy car, I would never invest in an extended warranty. A $44K vehicle, yes. So CX-5 is a maybe, leaning no on the non-turbo version.

Keep in mind that the underwriters of these policies are not in business to lose money. They have the historical repair data and are betting that they will make money on this deal. Some people certainly do come out ahead, but the odds are that most will not. That being said, you also have to consider your personal situation and whether a large out-of-warranty repair bill would potentially sideline your vehicle for financial reasons. There might peace of mind just knowing that you're covered in the event something happens, even if you shell out more over the long run than you would have paid for repairs during the same time period.

I got it because I am not yet established with a massive slush fund. Im a new land and home owner in my early 30s. A $2500 unplanned bill wouldnt sink me, but it would suck. The 20 or whatever per month for the warranty I paid was worth it to me. Consider your life situation, too.

That is the well-planning I was referring too.

I got ext warranty twice in the past.
BMW '98 540iA: the car was so problematic even w/ regular maintenance. I still needed to pay lots of money even with ext warranty since waer=n-tear items are not covered. e..g. cooling system... pipes, radiator, seals, gaskets, sensors. They call "BMW = break my wallet" for a good reason.
Toyota Prius '05: 7yr/100k. Never had to use the ext warranty even once. That car had 3 recalls, but nothing went wrong.

I'm an advocate of not paying to fix things before they break. Still, if it is a factory-backed warranty, it may not be a bad deal, especially if you aren't able to DIY repairs.

The Mazda dealer tried to sell my dad an additional non-factory warranty on his CPO CX-5 when he first bought it. The salesman who was selling the warranty (different person than the guy who sold the car) was really pushy and combative when we told him we didn't want the warranty. I work as a Ford Technician at a local dealer so I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I usually play stupid when purchasing cars and things as a way to gauge how honest someone is being with me. This salesman was more or less using scare tactics like "expensive electronics", "hundreds of complex sensors" and "complicated computer systems" to try and scare my dad into buying it. My dad isn't a mechanic and wouldn't have known if he was being lied to or not. I however was pissed off, told the salesman I knew what he was doing and if he didn't stop we would walk away and buy a car somewhere else, which we came close to doing.

Basically what I'm saying is, consider who is selling you the warranty, and don't be scared into buying it.

My situation is a little different than most regarding the warranty and it is with a Toyota RAV4, 2013 Limited. I inherited the car from family in September of 2016. My mother in law had purchased the car with about 800 miles on it, from the Toyota dealer, and they convinced her to buy the extended warranty, (it was CPO already). They did 'warn' her that the electronics can fail in the Scottsdale, AZ. heat. She rarely drove the car and when we got it the car only had about 5500 miles on it. On September 20, 2017, one year later, the steering computer failed, as well as the smart key computer. I had driven the car only about 5000 miles. The repair was about $1900 but paid by the warranty. The dealer had quite a time trying to figure out what was wrong and opened a 'ticket' with Toyota to help diagnose what the problem was and the repair took several days. As I am now considering buying a new car, I am going to have to consider an extended warranty primarily for the electronics. A 50 cent capacitor or resistor can cause havoc in a modern car and as no one does board level repair and diagnosis, the entire computer or sensor needs to be replaced. That can get expensive.

Yeah, I am still on the fence about this. I may try offering a lower price and seeing if they will bite on it. Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you all have on your CX's, and what issues have you encountered with it (besides regular maintenance)?

Yeah, I am still on the fence about this. I may try offering a lower price and seeing if they will bite on it. Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you all have on your CX's, and what issues have you encountered with it (besides regular maintenance)?

105,8xx 2015 touring awd

-2 broken windshields
-warped rotors starting around 50k mi
-rear diff went out due to being flooded crossing water on the road
-paint chips and rust from same

I'm preparing to buy a 2019 CX-5 Signature. Does the Mazda extended warranty need to be purchased at the same time as the vehicle purchase, or can it be later? For example, Subaru permits the purchase of an extended warranty anytime during the standard new vehicle warranty period.

I'm preparing to buy a 2019 CX-5 Signature. Does the Mazda extended warranty need to be purchased at the same time as the vehicle purchase, or can it be later? For example, Subaru permits the purchase of an extended warranty anytime during the standard new vehicle warranty period.

They add 15% or so to the cost if you purchase after 30 days, I think.

I don't think there is an up charge at antime during the regular warranty.

Latest posts

Back