Should I do it?

:
2021 Acura RDX
I have a 2017 CX-5 GT with 15k miles. I was offered a bumper-to-bumper warranty 6/100k for $999. Is it worth the money? I've never owned a Mazda before, but they seem pretty bullet proof. I'm just not sure if it's worth doing or not.

How many miles do you all have on your 17' or 18' CX-5's, and what problems have you had with it?

Thanks all!

That should be a CPO already. Ask them why it's not certified.

Think he's saying he bought it new and it now has 15k miles...

With that said, I wouldn't buy the warranty, but I never have, and I never will, so to each their own...

Think he's saying he bought it new and it now has 15k miles...

With that said, I wouldn't buy the warranty, but I never have, and I never will, so to each their own...

I'd buy it. If the AC compressor goes out...paid for. If the rear diff goes out. Paid for 300%. If you have transmission issues...very paid for.

It's $1K for peace of mind no-matter what out to 100K miles. For me, that's like 3 years of worry free ownership. Easily worth it.

YMMV, that's just my take.

I think it's a toss-up.

Seems like you'll hit the year expiration well before the mileage, so the 100k assurance is a bit of a tease. Focus on the 6 years, and odds are against any major repairs within that timeframe. Things like a faulty sensor are much more common and can easily amount for a $300-500 repair. Two repairs of that ilk puts you close to breaking even.

Let us be clear.
6yr/100k.
You have 3yr/36K bumper to bumper + 5yr/60K powertrain.
The 6yr/100k is from new.
So, you are getting 3yr/64K only for $999.
Minus that for the extra 2yr/24K for powertrain, you are getting 1yr/40K for powertrain, and 3yr/64K for everything else.
So, not as much as you think.
I will pass, but it is your financial decision.

I have owned a CX9 ('09) for 8 yrs. Nothing serious happened. Minor glitched taken care of within 3yrs.

Some do this: take the $1K and put it in savings.
Mazdas as a group are very reliable.
If nothing happens use the $ and interest when you purchase another vehicle.

Let us be clear.
6yr/100k.
You have 3yr/36K bumper to bumper + 5yr/60K powertrain.
The 6yr/100k is from new.
So, you are getting 3yr/64K only for $999.
Minus that for the extra 2yr/24K for powertrain, you are getting 1yr/40K for powertrain, and 3yr/64K for everything else.
So, not as much as you think.
I will pass, but it is your financial decision.

I have owned a CX9 ('09) for 8 yrs. Nothing serious happened. Minor glitched taken care of within 3yrs.

Some do this: take the $1K and put it in savings.
Mazdas as a group are very reliable.
If nothing happens use the $ and interest when you purchase another vehicle.

These guys get it...

Pass. Transmission and other items like that are covered under your powertrain. Bumper to bumper, only part that I can see really being an issue is the drive belt tensioner which will be less than the warranty.

Pass. Transmission and other items like that are covered under your powertrain. Bumper to bumper, only part that I can see really being an issue is the drive belt tensioner which will be less than the warranty.

Drive belt tensioner is $250 replaced, if you buy it online, and then take it to the dealer.

Plenty of people on this forum who wished they had the warranty, plenty who are glad they don't.

Buying ext warranty is a financial decision.
Some like it well planned, and others take *calculated* risk.

Buying ext warranty is a financial decision.
Some like it well planned, and others take *calculated* risk.

I got it because I am not yet established with a massive slush fund. Im a new land and home owner in my early 30s. A $2500 unplanned bill wouldnt sink me, but it would suck. The 20 or whatever per month for the warranty I paid was worth it to me. Consider your life situation, too.

Only considered this in '99 and not since. A new Volvo S70 and a dealer offer of extended warranty for 1400$ Canadian. Went the "put the money in the bank" route. At the end of the extended warranty period there was still 400$ in the account. The CX5 has proven more reliable.

Save your money if you can stand the uncertainty.

Brian

Most Consumer experts advise not to get extended warrantee especially if the car is known to be reliable.

2016 CX-5 GT with 106,000 miles. Other than regular maintenance items haven't put a dime into it. Has been a very reliable car so far.

Back