Should Mazda consider a 4 or 5 seater CX-9?

Just read up on Mazda iACTIVSENSE.
The Mazda CX 9 is a top, IIHS pick but some components of iACTIVE are left off of some trims.
My comments on driving impressions of the Honda and Hyundai safety packages, both also top rated, also w/superior avoidance & mitigation, tried to accurately describe the operation and variables common to all FCW, AEB, LKA, and BSM, applications.
The Mazda site and IIHS confirmed Mazda also has also executed these systems as good or better than Honda and Hyundai.
I would enjoy observations and perception of it from owners.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-9-4-door-suv/2019

Mazda is on-the-way to that.

Some observations on LKA.
The Lane Keep Assist (LKA) depends on several cameras, etc. depending on brand, to function. Faded lane markings, rain, snow, fog, and time of day are most of the variables that will affect performance.

Been driving with the full suite of the HondaSense safety package for over two years and the LKA in the new Hyundai Santa Fe is way more aggressive.
After you change lanes a few times WITHOUT signaling, you will understand. IMO, this setting is good.
Honda warns by vibrating the wheel and offering resistance to a turn but it is much easier to complete the maneuver than in a Santa Fe which to me seems to fight harder for control.
Again, if you use turn signals there are no AI alerts or resistance.

So, thankfully using the turn signals disables LKA during maneuvers thus accomplishing two things: actively assisting driver to safely proceed and potentially increasing the use of mirrors, the original blind spot assist.
Most BSW also signals by warning lights, sounds, and again, using turn signals will cause the Santa Fe to audibly warn you if vehicles are in either blind spot.
It will not try to keep you in a lane.
I assume Mazda's LKA is very similar.

On the way = left behind.

Last edited:
I tend to prefer less invasive assists to the invasive ones, but what do I know. For better or worse, its coming. The car ads on tv showing negligent driving as being acceptable due to the assists.. well they are worrying. To say the least.

As far as a 5 seater CX9, it makes no sense to me given the volume Mazda does, but again what do I know. Sometimes things that make no sense sell very well. Sales and marketing positioning is what matters not making sense right.

Split Decision

The 2019 Consumer Reports Auto Issue just came out.
The mid-sized SUV category is now officially split into 'three row' and 'two row.

#1 in 3 row was the new Subaru Ascent, the CX 9 was sixth, just ahead of the Pilot.
Interestedly the 'old' Santa Fe XL (V6) was #4. It will be replaced this summer.
#1 in 2 row was the new Hyundai Santa Fe, followed by the Ford Edge, and Nissan Murano.
Some have suggested Mazda needs to fill that hole in their lineup.

The *mid-sized* SUV category is now officially split into 'three row' and 'two row.*

#1 in 3 row was the new Subaru Ascent, the CX 9 was sixth, just ahead of the Pilot.
Interestedly the 'old' Santa Fe XL (V6) was #4. It will be replaced this summer.
#1 in 2 row was the new Hyundai Santa Fe, followed by the Ford Edge, and Nissan Murano.
Some have suggested Mazda needs to fill that hole in their lineup.

Perhaps--but Mazda may not be big enough to have so many vehicles that possibly cannibalize each other.

Perhaps--but Mazda may not be big enough to have so many vehicles that possibly cannibalize each other.

The great reviews of the CX 9 usually include some reference to it being one of the smaller three-row, mid-sized SUVs.
Just makes more sense to me for Mazda to make this already fine chassis/body the base of a two row, mid-sized SUV than to use an even smaller platform.
As to the number of models, Hyundai like Mercedes, is on-their-way to an eight SUV lineup.
Mazda's bread-n-butter is SUVs, led by the CX 5 so they have room for one more.

The mid-sized SUV category is now officially split into 'three row' and 'two row.

Some have suggested Mazda needs to fill that hole in their lineup.[/QUOTE

Thanks for sharing. It's funny I don't even think of our CX-9 as a 3 row so it would be ranked ahead of the new Santa Fe, Edge and Nissan easily. It's always going to suffer in a 3 row comparison because of it's lack of interior space. I do think they should offer it without the 3rd row. Ours will never see action. Interesting that they had the old Santa Fe XL with the V6 in there. My buddy has one and I took a hard look at it as a second choice. It's pretty well sorted and that engine is strong. If it had been in the new Santa Fe I would have taken a harder look at that.

The great reviews of the CX 9 usually include some reference to it being one of the smaller three-row, mid-sized SUVs.
Just makes more sense to me for Mazda to make this already fine chassis/body the base of a two row, mid-sized SUV than to use an even smaller platform.
As to the number of models, Hyundai like Mercedes, is on-their-way to an eight SUV lineup.
Mazda's bread-n-butter is SUVs, led by the CX 5 so they have room for one more.

Those companies are way bigger than Mazda. They can afford to add in-between sized models. Mazda's sales volume doesn't provide the same justification to do the same thing.

Those companies are way bigger than Mazda. They can afford to add in-between sized models. Mazda's sales volume doesn't provide the same justification to do the same thing.

That's why I'm keen to see a two row CX 9. No R & D costs, etc. just some interior changes and Mazda will have a roomy-two-row SUV.
If it happens I hope they don't try to market it as an adventure SUV like Honda is doing for the just-on-sale Passport and instead focus
on the outstanding handling and snappy turbo, with an interior designed to spoil adults.
Two row configuration would dump a bunch-o-weight, maybe Mazda could spark up the handling even more, include ALL creature features,
while pointing out you'd still be OK on most fire road and trips to the ski lodge.

That's why I'm keen to see a two row CX 9. No R & D costs, etc. just some interior changes and Mazda will have a roomy-two-row SUV.
If it happens I hope they don't try to market it as an *adventure* SUV like Honda is doing for the just-on-sale Passport and instead focus
on the outstanding handling and snappy turbo, with an interior designed to spoil adults.
Two row configuration would dump a bunch-o-weight, maybe Mazda could spark up the handling even more, include ALL creature features,
while pointing out you'd still be OK on most fire road and trips to the ski lodge.

This isn't happening either. Name another SUV in this size class where the 3rd row is an option. Not enough takers for any manufacturer to invest in that option.

Fillin' the Gap

This isn't happening either. Name another SUV in this size class where the 3rd row is an option. Not enough takers for any manufacturer to invest in that option.

Appreciate your opinion on this but I do not share it.
CR's overall #1 rated (88) BMW X5 SUV offers either 2 or 3 rows.
Believe Audi does the same.

Two-row trend is accelerating with the new top rated Hyundai Santa Fe leading the way.
Nissan Murano has always had two row seating.
Ditto for Ford's Edge, Jeep GC, and the 4Runner.

Honda is already selling a two row version of its Pilot, the Passport.
Chevrolet is set to drop a new Blazer with two row seating.

Appreciate your opinion on this but I do not share it.
CR's overall #1 rated (88) BMW X5 SUV offers either 2 or 3 rows.
Believe Audi does the same.

Two-row trend is accelerating with the new top rated Hyundai Santa Fe leading the way.
Nissan Murano has always had two row seating.
Ditto for Ford's Edge, Jeep GC, and the 4Runner.

Honda is already selling a two row version of its Pilot, the Passport.
Chevrolet is set to drop a new Blazer with two row seating.

Look*Mazda May end up doing this. The newly announced CX-30 shows they don*t mind some overlap among models.

BUT*I asked about *this class* and you referenced the X5 and the Q7. Not this class at all. And for what those vehicles cost, BMW and Audi can afford to offer that kind of production line flexibility.

And the volume of cars that Honda, Nissan and Chevy produce also gives them the flexibility to add in fill models. Honda might sell more CR-Vs than all Mazda models combined.

Performance 2-Row SUVs

Some more observations about two-row SUVs are that the new four seater from Rolls Royce,
the Cullinan, is already backordered big time. RR greatly underestimated the demand.
Porsche does not offer any three row SUVs but sells a boatload (for them) of Cayennes and Macans,
two of the best performing SUVs being built.
I mentioned the BMW because even with their limited market, they have always offered two versions.

As far as the argument of increased costs to bring a 2-row CX 9, only differences could be interior and I think a slimmer console
would help the tight feeling that others in this forum point out:

Hes a bit of a big guy and the CX-9 might not be suitable for people of his built.
and . . .
He's a big guy and I could see the drivers seat feeling a little tight if I were not 5'8" 160 lbs.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...so-positive-review-of-the-2019-CX-9-Signature

Those assessments arbitrarily disqualify a lot of buyers, IMO and are part of the basis for my position.
Offer a basic roomy, adult two-row hauler like the new Santa Fe, or Mazda could go all in, still use the 9 platform,
follow BMW, Porsche, make an even quicker, better handling SUV.
They would sell and could be built in same plant as current 9s.

A bit out of the class, but the XC-90 offers 5 and 7 seat configuration. Base model start at around 45K

Back