2017~2024 Body damage repair & soul red crystal metallic paint

skinsfandc

:
2017 CX-5 GT
So I had a mishap and hit a thing sticking out in the front of a parking spot I pulled into this morning. My beloved Soul Red Crystal Metallic 2017 CX-5 now has damage to part of the end of the hood and the panel that kind of sticks out on the snout of the front end and borders the hood. I am extremely upset, as I adore this car and it is in otherwise pristine condition. Is there any way Im going to be able to get it restored to looking like new again? Im not sure if the panels will need to be replaced (my guess is yes but I dont have much experience with this) but if they do, can I get factory-painted replacement panels from Mazda so I dont end up with whatever the dealership auto body shops interpretation of soul red crystal metallic is?

So I had a mishap and hit a thing sticking out in the front of a parking spot I pulled into this morning. My beloved Soul Red Crystal Metallic 2017 CX-5 now has damage to part of the end of the hood and the panel that kind of sticks out on the *snout* of the front end and borders the hood. I am extremely upset, as I adore this car and it is in otherwise pristine condition. Is there any way I*m going to be able to get it restored to looking like new again? I*m not sure if the panels will need to be replaced (my guess is yes but I don*t have much experience with this) but if they do, can I get factory-painted replacement panels from Mazda so I don*t end up with whatever the dealership auto body shop*s interpretation of soul red crystal metallic is?

No, you can't get a pre painted panel from Mazda. Every soul red crystal metallic car is a slightly different color. It needs to be matched exactly to your car. You can youtube the videos on how the body shops match the color, it's a pretty complex process.
I bought the touchup pen from my Mazda dealership to fix some minor chips in my car. It's not even close to perfect, but better than it was before the touchup.

Not sure about the hood, but you will almost certainly need to replace the snout as you call it. It is all plastic, and if there are any scratches, it cannot be repaired. My 2017 GT soul red was slightly rear-ended by someone in December, just enough to scratch the back bumper panel. It had to be replaced, and painted as mentioned above. The bill (paid by the other guys insurance company) was about $1500. Only about $340 of that was parts (the bumper cover and a reflector). The rest was paint and labor.

It's all about the painter, his mixing and most of all the prep. Most of the top body shops use high-tech electronics to measure and mix paints but I know that the soul red is sweet in color and different from the other paints.

Im not sure if the panels will need to be replaced (my guess is yes but I dont have much experience with this) but if they do, can I get factory-painted replacement panels from Mazda so I dont end up with whatever the dealership auto body shops interpretation of soul red crystal metallic is?

If you're as finicky as I am, I wouldn't automatically run to the dealership on this. Do some research - your dealer might in fact have an excellent body shop, but IMO, odds are you're going to find better reviews for some of the private shops in the area.

Find a high end body shop with a good reputation, should be no problem for someone who knows what they're doing. Agreed, stay away from dealerships.

Ok so the dealership wouldnt necessarily be any more successful in matching the color than an unaffiliated body shop? And Im assuming I should have the same place do the repair and the painting?

Thanks for all the input. I was really overwhelmed but Im hopeful that I will be able to get my baby repaired properly (albeit at a price).

Anyone happen to know of a good body shop they would recommend in the D.C.-area (D.C., MD, or VA)?

My car is a 2016 Soul Red job. A week after I had it, it got hit in the front end, had to get the front bumper replaced. My body shop specializes in Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc., a place I've trusted for over 10 years The match was perfect!! It's something I KNOW the dealer wouldn't have done. Find one that has a high reputation, they should be able to take care of everything.

Ok so the dealership wouldn*t necessarily be any more successful in matching the color than an unaffiliated body shop? And I*m assuming I should have the same place do the repair and the painting?

Thanks for all the input. I was really overwhelmed but I*m hopeful that I will be able to get my baby repaired properly (albeit at a price).

Anyone happen to know of a good body shop they would recommend in the D.C.-area (D.C., MD, or VA)?

Every body shop is different, including dealer-run body shops. I did my research and went with a body shop with experience painting Mazdas with my colour. That shop just so happened to be a local Honda body shop under the same dealer umbrella as a local Mazda dealer with no body shop. Paint came out perfectly to my eye. Now, my paint is Machine Grey Metallic, but the point is, do your research and make some calls. Some shops even take photos of the work they do and have the albums on display in the shop or online.

Back