AWD activation

Neat. Front tires have to slip a bit before the rears react from a stop. Its almost like I keep being proven right...

This is what you wrote: "It has slow mo, but the dirt and gravel disturbed told the tale. Front spun a ton, rear very little.
-its reactive, not proactive
-it has a very weak bias and is incapable of spinning the rear tires hardly any, even on loose gravel"

Now, I know you cannot learn, this post is to educate other forum readers.

Per *Mazdas* tech guy, when accelerating, *more* power will be sent to the rear wheels RIGHT AWAY, WITHOUT WAITING TO SENSE WHEELSPIN. Neither he, nor I said that *100%* power would be sent immediately. This IS done proactively, based on the accelerator pedal being moved off of idle position. Uno, I'll educate you and tell you that *before* the throttle plate is opened up, the throttle PEDAL must be pressed. (Oh-maybe you thought proactive meant psychic! Yeah-that's it!)

Weak bias? I owned a modded Eclipse that could spin all four wheels-on pavement-in first gear. It made ~250 HP, and with a manual and a clutch drop, I could get the tires to break traction. Clue for you, unob - our AWD CX-5s have automatic trannys, with a *torque converter*. TC's *slip*. Maybe you confused "lockup" with "clutch drop"? /sarc

In real-world use, under slippery conditions (how did you think hard-packed sand and gravel was slippery?) Mazdas AWD works fantastic.

I think you get paid by another auto manufacturer to post here. You never have anything good to say about a car you supposedly *chose* to buy.

This is what you wrote: "It has slow mo, but the dirt and gravel disturbed told the tale. Front spun a ton, rear very little.
-its reactive, not proactive
-it has a very weak bias and is incapable of spinning the rear tires hardly any, even on loose gravel"

Now, I know you cannot learn, this post is to educate other forum readers.

Per *Mazdas* tech guy, when accelerating, *more* power will be sent to the rear wheels RIGHT AWAY, WITHOUT WAITING TO SENSE WHEELSPIN. Neither he, nor I said that *100%* power would be sent immediately. This IS done proactively, based on the accelerator pedal being moved off of idle position. Uno, I'll educate you and tell you that *before* the throttle plate is opened up, the throttle PEDAL must be pressed. (Oh-maybe you thought proactive meant psychic! Yeah-that's it!)

Weak bias? I owned a modded Eclipse that could spin all four wheels-on pavement-in first gear. It made ~250 HP, and with a manual and a clutch drop, I could get the tires to break traction. Clue for you, unob - our AWD CX-5s have automatic trannys, with a *torque converter*. TC's *slip*. Maybe you confused "lockup" with "clutch drop"? /sarc

In real-world use, under slippery conditions (how did you think hard-packed sand and gravel was slippery?) Mazdas AWD works fantastic.

I think you get paid by another auto manufacturer to post here. You never have anything good to say about a car you supposedly *chose* to buy.

I guess you overlooked all of my posts about how well the system works, and so forth. Very happy with my purchase, even if the fronts slip before more bias is sent to the rear...

This all seems to happen in a fraction of a second, Im not sure what the big deal is whether its active at start or not.

I'm pretty sure temperature is one of the things the AWD takes into account.

It is, but having driven in ice, I can tell you that that isn't the 1/27th that makes it lock up with its full bias before you apply the throttle. Even my Jeep Grand Cherokee with F/R ELSD's didn't do that unless you locked it in prior to accelerating via 4WD LOW. I really wish Mazda had incorporated a 100% lock like Toyota did on the RAV in previous years for 0-10mph operation or so. It would be MUCH more useful than the stupid "sport mode".

Kindof like Toyota has done for years in the RAV4...

I think the '12-'18 had a 50/50 CDL lock but saw some European video where even with it locked that RAV4 still fell behind the CX-5. I will see if I can find the video.

I think we all can mostly agree it is a capable system. It will never do what my GX 460 or Wrangler can do off-road but was more than capable getting my wife to work "everyday" in Seattle area through a snow not seen here since 1916 on it's Blizzak DM-V2 tires.

EDIT: Not saying it can't do off-road...but I have a level of skid plates on other vehicles the CX-5 does not "currently" possess. I plan to add additional protection to bottom of the Mazda.

Last edited:
Neat. Front tires have to slip a bit before the rears react from a stop. Its almost like I keep being proven right...

Actually Unob, you are not right. Read the pdf that Mazda produced as a technical explanation and you will see that the AWD is subdued when the steering is turned to prevent *tight corner braking*. Even so, he barely touches the throttle in order to get the CX3 moving.

I think the '12-'18 had a 50/50 CDL lock but saw some European video where even with it locked that RAV4 still fell behind the CX-5. I will see if I can find the video.

It think we all can mostly agree it is a capable system. It will never do what my GX 460 or Wrangler can do off-road but was more than capable getting my wife to work "everyday" in Seattle area through a snow not seen here since 1916 on it's Blizzak DM-V2 tires.

The RAV4 system (as long as it isn*t hybrid) is identical to the CX5. Only the control may differ slightly but the hardware is the same.

It think we all can mostly agree it is a capable system. It will never do what my GX 460 or Wrangler can do off-road but was more than capable getting my wife to work "everyday" in Seattle area through a snow not seen here since 1916 on it's Blizzak DM-V2 tires.

The RAV4 system (as long as it isnt hybrid) is identical to the CX5. Only the control may differ slightly but the hardware is the same.

I haven't found anything yet that got me stuck or in need of additional traction and I have been in stuff that has left some underside damage. I had to replace one of the underside panels and that aluminum piece in the middle got peeled back some.

I am shortly off warranty but will be open to any vendor that wants to test out a 50/50 CDL switch if anything every comes about... frankly not sure there would be a market or need as AWD system does very good on it's own. I'd be willing to experiment some to see if I can actively engage rear diff on demand if possible though.

Here is excerpt out of manual for '18 RAV4 before the new model.

Screen%20Shot%202019-02-16%20at%204.22.31%20PM.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't found anything yet that got me stuck or in need of additional traction and I have been in stuff that has left some underside damage. I had to replace one of the underside panels and that aluminum piece in the middle got peeled back some.

I am shortly off warranty but will be open to any vendor that wants to test out a 50/50 CDL switch if anything every comes about... frankly not sure there would be a market or need as AWD system does very good on it's own. I'd be willing to experiment some to see if I can actively engage rear diff on demand if possible though.

Here is excerpt out of manual for '18 RAV4 before the new model.

Screen%20Shot%202019-02-16%20at%204.22.31%20PM.jpg

I have, couldnt get home. Sucked. That said, Im unsure if even locking diffs would have carried the day. Some things just wont happen no matter what.

I did see a video of a hyundai or some cuv with locking option that was tested by a lay person on icy incline. Reactive, it just spun. Locked, it climbed it fine. On ice, reactive is trash. You need locked.

Last edited:
Here's a video of a gen 1 cx 5 in DEEP snow. Notice how about 4.5 minutes in the front left tire and rear right tire are both spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuDnoawJW7w

Although being high centered doesn't help it would have been TCS off and I would have doing some braking along with the gas pedal to send power to wheels with grip.

I also keep a set of these GoTreads with me. They fold up nicely too, have a lifetime warranty even if you find a way to destroy them and are stout enough to be used with 18 wheelers and military vehicles.

https://gotreads.com/

final-version-zig-zag-edge.png

Although being high centered doesn't help it would have been TCS off and I would have doing some braking along with the gas pedal to send power to wheels with grip.

I also keep a set of these GoTreads with me. They fold up nicely too, have a lifetime warranty even if you find a way to destroy them and are stout enough to be used with 18 wheelers and military vehicles.

https://gotreads.com/

final-version-zig-zag-edge.png

Kedis, with respect to Forscan, is the Couple Solenoid the parameter for duty cycle of the coupling of the rear?

Post it up, I'd be curious, as obviously my test doesn't have near that specificity.
I haven't taken any shots of this yet, basically still playing with it, it's a pain because you have to be connected to a running car to set it up. Anyway, I looked at it today, 40 degrees outside, no bad weather. Basically at a stand still, Forscan says there's nothing at the rear wheels until i accelerate to about 5 mph, then it's about 9 to 12% while cruising around 45 mph on dry road. When I come to a stop it drops down to nothing again. I really should take video of this while the car is in motion. Maybe if we get enough bad weather on Wednesday, I can put some spin to it on a slippery parking lot. Kind of surprises me that nothing registers at the rear wheels at a stand still, would've thought a least a couple of a percent.

According to yugrus the percentages need to be halved for what is actually being output on the rear.

Thanks madar and Kedis82ZE8 for your efforts. I'm the OP with the question about whether the CX5 always starts with some power to the rear. I like that my Equinox does that. Now is that a deal breaker if the CX5 doesn't? Probably not. I've got a feeling that the 250 hp. and 310 torque of the Mazda will seduce me.

If I had to buy a new vehicle tomorrow it would either be the CX5 Turbo or the Equinox with the 2.0 Turbo and AWD. The Sportage seems to get high marks also with a nice AWD system but the gas mileage isn't much.

Back