Driving long distances... is the CX5 comfortable?

:
CX5
My neighbor went on a long trip from RI to Florida and was complaining that the CX5 was not comfortable enough. eps with the arm rest. He thought his arms got cramps with the wheel and the arms rest are too low. Has this been an issue with anyone else?

I have a 2015. It's okay. More like a car than an SUV, though. My 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee was definitely better for road trips in the comfort/isolation dept. I also had Bilstein's f/r on it, and it was stiff, at least as stiff as my CX5, so that wasn't it.

I personally have no complaints about it.
And as for the rest of the comfort...
My wife has some back problems and with our previous car (Citron C3 Picasso) she often complained about being sore when we went on longer trips.
We got our CX5 last year in April.
Drove from the middle to the north of Sweden during the summer.
In total we did about 6000 km in 2 weeks time.
My wife didn't complain once. At least not about that. :D
Same thing when we drove to our family in Belgium during the Christmas holidays.
1600 km in one day. No problem at all.

In early November drove from Ottawa Canada to Tucson Arizona in 4.5 days in our '13 GT. Very comfortable for us. Seats not quite as comfortable as the previous Volvo S70, but no problem. A bigger issue is the available power with the rear seats down and the cargo area fully utilized.

Brian

Some car seats give me back aches. My CX 5 is pure comfort. I am 5' 7" and 150# and the seats feel great.

We've done two 1900 mile trips in our 2017 CX-5 from Ontario to Minnesota already and find it very comfortable. Roomier than our previous 2013 Ford Escape. The last trip was over New Year that just passed, freezing rain, snow storms, the whole gambit... some white knuckling but with a heated, leather wrapped steering wheel it was a breeze! haha

The armrests are definitely one of my gripes. Specifically the area on the drivers side door where I rest my elbow. For me it's too far away (I'm 6' tall) and not very comfortable but not a deal breaker. As for the seat and overall comfort for road trips, I think the CX5 is a great road trip vehicle.

Sound is a large part of how you feel after 1000 miles in a vehicle. I think the Gen 1 and Gen 2 need to be separated out because of this.

My neighbor went on a long trip from RI to Florida and was complaining that the CX5 was not comfortable enough. eps with the arm rest. He thought his arms got cramps with the wheel and the arms rest are too low.* Has this been an issue with anyone else?

No complaints on road trips with my Gen 1.

But really...everyone is of a different body type, weight, height, whatever. This is going to be very apples to oranges. What's uncomfortable for one person, might be perfectly fine for another and vice versa.

Edit: I could see complaints with the armrest though. I believe mine in my 2014 is bigger than the ones in the Gen 2's now, and definitely better than the ones they had in the 2016's.

Last edited:
No complaints on road trips with my Gen 1.

But really...everyone is of a different body type, weight, height, whatever. This is going to be very apples to oranges. What's uncomfortable for one person, might be perfectly fine for another and vice versa.

Edit: I could see complaints with the armrest though. I believe mine in my 2014 is bigger than the ones in the Gen 2's now, and definitely better than the ones they had in the 2016's.

True. I am right handed but I steer with my left hand, when not using both hands. I find the right side armrest very comfortable and my hand is very close to the control dial for easy access.

Hi there, I drove 1400km in a one day (15 hours) and everything was ok. But it's true that the seat is quite short.

The armrests are definitely one of my gripes. Specifically the area on the drivers side door where I rest my elbow. For me it's too far away (I'm 6' tall) and not very comfortable but not a deal breaker. As for the seat and overall comfort for road trips, I think the CX5 is a great road trip vehicle.

Same here. I'm 6'1" and like to rest my elbows when cruising. I'm not happy with either armrest, but still overall think my 2018 is very comfortable, and I can go a long time with better posture than I would in my previous cars.

I'm a big guy (6'5") In October, we drove 500+ miles straight thru to New Orleans.On the way back we had to take back roads as the Florida Interstate (Rte. 10) was closed due to hurricane damage. Return took 14 hours, very comfortable, no issues.

Back