Seeking advice

:
CX9
Hello all, I've been lurking on this forum for several months trying to decide which new mid-sized crossover SUV to purchase next month. Narrowed it down to the Toyota Highlander FWD Limited Platinum, Honda Pilot Touring FWD, and the CX-9 Grand Touring FWD. After driving them all to be honest thought the CX-9 felt a little small in the front cabin and overall a tighter fit. Really though it's just me in it 90% of the time, would never use the 3rd row but folding it down gives me a lot more space than my current 2013 Toyota Venza. The CX-9 drives very well as you know and is much sportier than the my other contenders; but I haven't driven a 4 cyl car since the 80's and have some reservations about that...maybe if the mileage was spectacularly better than the V6's but it's not.

As things turn out for 2019 Toyota's experiencing a software glitch that is interfering with the voice command features and voice directions from the NAV system (remedied only by having to do some extra steps as a workaround) and Honda Pilot forums are posting a number of owner's with the NAV and LCD instrument cluster unexpectedly blacking out while driving. When I read the comments on this forum there's not much you folks are complaining about and my #1 concern is reliability.

Guess what I'm looking for is some assurance that the CX-9 is my best bet and that current owners are happy with their experience. Thanks for your comments.

Gen 2 CX-9s have been pretty bulletproof IMO. Let me see if I can consolidate some of the complaints I've heard on these boards:

Vibration at higher speeds (50 mph+). This could be attributed to quite a few different factors, but most owners were able to get this issue fixed with an alignment or wheel balancing. Others had to resort to new tires. And there are one or two owners who still experience the issue even after new tires, alignment, and wheel balancing. I think there have been six or seven people who have reported a similar issue on the boards.

Infotainment screen blackouts and reboots. This seemed to be a problem most common with the 2016 and 2017 MYs and was typically resolved with a firmware update. I personally have a 2018 and experienced the blank screen once, upon startup. When I turned the car off and on again, it was business as usual. I think I remember reading that one person ended up getting the screen replaced.

HVAC effectiveness. This is a bit of a contested issue as there are a few owners who have stated that the cabin does not warm up, even after starting the car and leaving it to idle for 20-40 mins. They also state that at low RPM (in Park, at a Stop sign or red light) the HVAC system stops blowing hot air and blows cooler air instead. Personally I have done my own personal test and my cabin does indeed warm up if left to idle for 20 mins. That said, I have also experienced the cooler air at low RPM phenomenon, but I find it to be a non-issue as it is only slightly cooler and still blowing warm air.

Paint quality/thickness. It seems that the Soul Red Crystal colour is more prone to paint chips than the standard colours (Sonic Silver Metallic, Jet Black Mica, Titanium Flash Metallic, Deep Crystal Blue Metallic). The Machine Grey Metallic and Snowflake While Pearl Mica colours also seem to share the same issue as SRC, though it seems to be less prominent. One Snowflake While Pearl Mica owner has also experienced what they considered defective paint.

Other things to note are glitches with AA and devices with the Android Pie OS (Pixel phones). Pie doesn't seem to play well (or at all) with Mazda's AA. A few owners have reported suspension noise that can be attributed to something as minor as loose fasteners under the hood to something more involved, like lower control arm replacement or brake caliper service.

As far as I know, nobody has reported any major engine/electrical issues, but I don't think anyone's run their CX-9 past 100k yet, so the jury is still out. So far, so good though.

If you do decide to get the CX-9, I would suggest test driving the actual vehicle you'd be buying so you can take it on the highway to check for suspension/vibration issues and test the HVAC for yourself. Also, quick tip, check the tire pressure on all four wheels and ensure that they are set to the spec found on the sticker in the driver's door jamb. Quite a few of us reported overinflated tires that affected handling and driveability in inclement weather.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Gen 2 CX-9s have been pretty bulletproof IMO. Let me see if I can consolidate some of the complaints I've heard on these boards:

Vibration at higher speeds (50 mph+). This could be attributed to quite a few different factors, but most owners were able to get this issue fixed with an alignment or wheel balancing. Others had to resort to new tires. And there are one or two owners who still experience the issue even after new tires, alignment, and wheel balancing. I think there have been six or seven people who have reported a similar issue on the boards.

Infotainment screen blackouts and reboots. This seemed to be a problem most common with the 2016 and 2017 MYs and was typically resolved with a firmware update. I personally have a 2018 and experienced the blank screen once, upon startup. When I turned the car off and on again, it was business as usual. I think I remember reading that one person ended up getting the screen replaced.

HVAC effectiveness. This is a bit of a contested issue as there are a few owners who have stated that the cabin does not warm up, even after starting the car and leaving it to idle for 20-40 mins. They also state that at low RPM (in Park, at a Stop sign or red light) the HVAC system stops blowing hot air and blows cooler air instead. Personally I have done my own personal test and my cabin does indeed warm up if left to idle for 20 mins. That said, I have also experienced the cooler air at low RPM phenomenon, but I find it to be a non-issue as it is only slightly cooler and still blowing warm air.

Paint quality/thickness. It seems that the Soul Red Crystal colour is more prone to paint chips than the standard colours (Sonic Silver Metallic, Jet Black Mica, Titanium Flash Metallic, Deep Crystal Blue Metallic). The Machine Grey Metallic and Snowflake While Pearl Mica colours also seem to share the same issue as SRC, though it seems to be less prominent. One Snowflake While Pearl Mica owner has also experienced what they considered defective paint.

Other things to note are glitches with AA and devices with the Android Pie OS (Pixel phones). Pie doesn't seem to play well (or at all) with Mazda's AA. A few owners have reported suspension noise that can be attributed to something as minor as loose fasteners under the hood to something more involved, like lower control arm replacement or brake caliper service.

As far as I know, nobody has reported any major engine/electrical issues, but I don't think anyone's run their CX-9 past 100k yet, so the jury is still out. So far, so good though.

If you do decide to get the CX-9, I would suggest test driving the actual vehicle you'd be buying so you can take it on the highway to check for suspension/vibration issues and test the HVAC for yourself. Also, quick tip, check the tire pressure on all four wheels and ensure that they are set to the spec found on the sticker in the driver's door jamb. Quite a few of us reported overinflated tires that affected handling and driveability in inclement weather.

Hope that helps.

Nice summation sm1ke. I agree the driver cabin is a bit tight, but adaptive after seat break-in.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
Thanks sm1ke for the excellent synopsis; exactly what I was hoping for. I've noted the few debate on the forum about the HVAC heat (and heated seats) effectiveness, since I live in Texas and not Minnesota I'll probably be OK either way. Appreciate the tip on the vibration issue; the test drive Signature I drove and didn't notice anything in speeds up to 75 mph. Sadly, poor paint quality and thickness is the standard now it seems from my experience on the last 3 cars. I'm going to go ahead and pursue the FWD Grand Touring I think.

Hope that helps.

Ill add to the above. I own a 19 GT.
Vibration: I am one of the people who had/have this issue. Its tire related and improved after several roadforce balances and additional miles on tires. With 6k miles It is very minor and I feel a similar vibration on wifes 17 RX-350 so may be road related. Think stiffer suspensions/chassis has increased complaints for vibrations in many brands as its not as filtered out. The Falcon tires are very quiet & seem to be better than the Bridgestones in Snow.

Infotainment: rebooted once. I have had latest firmware upgrade and no issues. The system is slow to boot up initially.

HVAC- Engine is slow to heat up at idle so takes a little longer to heat up cabin. But no worse than RX-350.

Paint- I have the Machine Gray which previous people have complained about chipping. In 6k miles have 1 chip on hood which was obviously a stone hitting it based on the way the chip looks. Other than that no chips. The clearcoat is soft. Lots of fine surface scratches from car wash.(I realize carwash not best). My Lexus and previous Audis did not scratch as much from same carwash. Paint on Lexus/Audi seems to have more depth/ thicker.

Have had no other issues and Love the car. Prefer it over driving Wifes RX 350 which stickers for $10k more. The drivetrain is matched perfectly with transmission. No jerkiness, hard downshifts, hesitation that Ive had in both Audi and Lexus. Get about 22mpg in mostly citi driving and New England weather.

Ssteigss10, thanks for your input. Let's face it, there's no perfect car out there and it's always a compromise on some level. One of my big concerns about the CX-9 was going to a turbo 4 cyl engine, last driving a 4 in the 80's. The test drive convinced me that it'll probably be fine and I won't miss the V6 in my 2013 Toyota Venza. Be nice if the mileage was a bit better though.

You shouldn't be too worried about going from a V6 to a turbo four. Your 2103 Venza 3.5L V6 generates 268 HP and 246 lb-ft of torque. The CX9's 2.5L turbo four generates just 18HP less -- 250 -- but a much more usable torque of 310 lb-ft, 64 lb-ft more than the Toyota. 95 percent of most people's driving is typically in the 2,000 to 3,500 rpm range, exactly where the Mazda gets all its torque. And if high-end horsepower is really important to you, you can bump it by around 10HP by using premium gas.

The CX9 is no hot rod, but I have yet to experience an occasion in which I felt it lacked reasonable power. This from someone whose last six cars had V8s. :)

Ditto what they said, that 300 torques is nice. Coming from somebody who used to rev the pizza out of everything I drove/rode... well that can be fun also but this one doesn't respond well to that. Pretty flat up top.

Back when I was shopping, it was transformer-esque Highlander styling, or civic xxl for the Pilot. Both were a turn off for me.

For what its worth to you, the Mazda is built in Japan. Yes the Mazda is tight in the front row. I don't mind it but I can see that as a deal breaker for somebody who does.

On the mpg, even 2 mpg difference is huge when you are this far down the scale. When you are comparing a 35mpg car to a 37mpg car, it doesn't matter nearly as much. Going from 18 to 20 is a big difference.

Its counter intuitive, but this four is more "v6ish" than an n/a v6 is. The n/a v6's revs out better like the fours of olde, this four is tuned to be a tork monster. Its flipped wackbards.

Last edited:
I've only had my 2018 for a few months and 2000k miles and so far I think it is a stellar car and I've had some great ones in my past to compare to. It's just a solid feeling car and does rival some of the luxury brands as far as interior, features and refinement. I took a hard look at the Highlander Limited and it probably would have been my second pick. I'm sure it's rock solid as far as reliability goes but to me the interior is dated and still has more plastic and cheap feeling area's inside. It's obviously due for a new, updated version and one is coming soon. I was going to wait but really couldn't pass up the deal that I got and wanted to switch now. I looked at a Pilot but we don't need all that space and it felt like a mini-van to me compared to the CX-9. I didn't let the 4 cylinder thing sway me one way or the other. This motor should be fairly bullet proof even with the turbo and it does not lack for power. Another couple MPG's would be nice though.

That's reassuring to hear that the engine is a solid performer. I really liked the Highlander despite it's being a bit dated but the software issues with the Nav system and the plastic clad alloy (Chrometec) wheels were too off-putting to make it a serious contender. The Pilot had more room than I needed and their start/stop system is very noticeable. That along with their software problems with the infotainment/nav and instrument cluster made it a non-starter. Am negotiating now with a couple of dealers, for the 2019 Grand Touring the best quote for my area in west central Texas is $38,300 (before a few dealer added options and TTL of course). It's about what True Car says is an excellent price for this area.

That's reassuring to hear that the engine is a solid performer. I really liked the Highlander despite it's being a bit dated but the software issues with the Nav system and the plastic clad alloy (Chrometec) wheels were too off-putting to make it a serious contender. The Pilot had more room than I needed and their start/stop system is very noticeable. That along with their software problems with th then thate infotainment/nav and instrument cluster made it a non-starter. Am negotiating now with a couple of dealers, for the 2019 Grand Touring the best quote for my area in west central Texas is $38,300 (before a few dealer added options and TTL of course). It's about what True Car says is an excellent price for this area.

If that GT is an AWD then that's a very good price providing they can't get you anywhere else. That is the other plus of Mazda's these days. Dealers will deal. There is no such thing as the "price is the price". They can change daily just like an airline ticket does.

Back